6.2L Engine replacement

just found this which indicates the part number of the engine they got for my truck replaces the part number indicated in your post.

Odds are you should be in better shape then. It is hard to believe there is inherently anything wrong with the design, everything points to manufacturing. *Assuming* GM has finally sourced the right bearings for these engines, should last you a while if you decide to keep it.

I'm a month into my truck being out of service, 9 months into ownership. Planning on calling GM directly to see what they can do with me, especially since they haven't sent a field tech out to look at it and my service guy estimates it will be another month to wait for diagnosis. Highly considering going to a lemon law lawyer if GM doesn't plan on covering the payment on the truck while it's down

Odds are you should be in better shape then. It is hard to believe there is inherently anything wrong with the design, everything points to manufacturing. *Assuming* GM has finally sourced the right bearings for these engines, should last you a while if you decide to keep it.

I'm a month into my truck being out of service, 9 months into ownership. Planning on calling GM directly to see what they can do with me, especially since they haven't sent a field tech out to look at it and my service guy estimates it will be another month to wait for diagnosis. Highly considering going to a lemon law lawyer if GM doesn't plan on covering the payment on the truck while it's down
yeah, i'd definitely call. the service mgr recommended i call right out of the gate to see if we could get things expedited. it seemed to work as once i called, the GM rep who was to determine whether it was engine repair or replacement contacted the dealership within a day (although it still took a couple weeks for them to make that determination, which i think was moreso because the dealer couldn't get to the engine teardown until then). i then started receiving weekly update calls from GM, although i didn't receive one last week (did this week, yesterday).

i've had a couple people tell me to ask about payment but that doesn't make sense to me. i'm paying for a truck that i took a loan out on so, obviously, when paid off, it'll be my asset, i paid for it. think of it as if you paid cash for it up front, they're not going to pay you a portion of its value while it's down. i could almost justify insurance cost since it's out of commission, but have major doubts that'd be a successful argment, either.

i'm working with a GM rep. they called yesterday to let me know the engine was in and it would be ready for pickup by next Wednesday (service mgr had already called me on Monday).

when the service mgr called Monday I asked him what he would do if it was his truck, knowing the issues with the 6.2's. told him to remove himself from being a GM employee and give me his honest opinion. his response: "i would trade it and let someone else deal with it."

when the GM rep called yesterday, I told them that my intention was to trade it as soon as i got it back because i've yet to speak ro anybody or read anything that indicates GM has recognized and corrected the issue and that after talking to and reading about others that are on their 3rd engine, i wouldn't be taking the chance. i told them that if GM didn't take damn good care of me on this trade that i would drive the truck 200 yards down the street where there are ford and dodge dealerships beside each other. i told them that i hate to leave GM, and that my wife and i on average purchase a new silverado and yahoe/yukon every 4 to 5 years, and that i'd gladly throw $150K+ at one of the other brands.

i did emphasize that i've owned the truck for 10 months with it being at the dealership for engine replacement for 2 of those months. they indicated they'd elevate my request to whoever and that they would be getting back in touch to let me know what they would do for me.

we'll see what happens but have next to zero confidence they will do anything for me.
My story is quit similar to yours only slightly different.. So after two years of on going issues and tons of promises...lol I got nothing but another bad deal ! That part of GM (customer care) is useless ! I sware they get paid to lie!
At the moment I'm almost made whole again so in fact by getting hold of a regional rep/ Marketing. Wow my experience has changed dramatically ! Good luck with your venture!

i'm working with a GM rep. they called yesterday to let me know the engine was in and it would be ready for pickup by next Wednesday (service mgr had already called me on Monday).

when the service mgr called Monday I asked him what he would do if it was his truck, knowing the issues with the 6.2's. told him to remove himself from being a GM employee and give me his honest opinion. his response: "i would trade it and let someone else deal with it."

when the GM rep called yesterday, I told them that my intention was to trade it as soon as i got it back because i've yet to speak ro anybody or read anything that indicates GM has recognized and corrected the issue and that after talking to and reading about others that are on their 3rd engine, i wouldn't be taking the chance. i told them that if GM didn't take damn good care of me on this trade that i would drive the truck 200 yards down the street where there are ford and dodge dealerships beside each other. i told them that i hate to leave GM, and that my wife and i on average purchase a new silverado and yahoe/yukon every 4 to 5 years, and that i'd gladly throw $150K+ at one of the other brands.

i did emphasize that i've owned the truck for 10 months with it being at the dealership for engine replacement for 2 of those months. they indicated they'd elevate my request to whoever and that they would be getting back in touch to let me know what they would do for me.

we'll see what happens but have next to zero confidence they will do anything for me.
They couldn't give two shits about you or anyone else. They've shown you their cards for years now.

Record vehicle prices, record revenues, record stock buybacks, record executive and senior management bonuses = lower customer service.

The whole industry is broken and we need a complete economc meltdown, where people get a lot more hungry, before we ever see the consumer valued again.

Last edited:
TKO others have received reimbursement for monthly payments while their truck was down, when you take out a loan you expect full use of your truck and not sitting in a shop for one or two months and maybe even longer. I would be asking for a new vehicle replacement but that’s me.

Bought my 2022 ZR2 Used @ 5005 miles. Has the Borla Exhaust option and it sounds great!!! Had it for 4 days before the engine quit running while driving at 65mph. Dealer experience was acceptable from all staff, including arranging towing to the dealership for me. I made an appointment with the GM asking what he could do within his role to support my situation. The GM was very helpful and supported getting the repairs expedited. After the meeting, things moved along quicker than they had been and I was given a 2024 courtesy vehicle to use while I waited for repairs. The replacement engine arrive two weeks later and was installed 2 weeks after it arrived. They replaced the oil cooler and lines, recharged the A/C and did an alignment as well.

I've driven it for 1 week and at 600 miles going to have the oil changed.

Old Engine PN: N1222243MFYX0409
New Engine PN: N1241254N44X0181

Service noted that the crankshaft bearing was seized and cylinder #8 was gouged.

Glad to have it back!!!

Dave
IMG_0196.JPG

Last edited:
At 12,082 miles, the engine in my 2022 Silverado needs to be replaced. My local Chevy dealer isn’t telling me much so I’m reaching out to the ZR2 community to see if this is a known issue and what the specific failure might be.
I was driving on the local freeway at about 70mph and it was as though someone flipped off a switch to the engine. It immediately went into neutral and I coasted over to the shoulder. When the vehicle stopped it went into park.
After I tried to restart the engine, the Driver Info Screen just went black and nothing happened. The biggest drawback to these electronic shifters is it is impossible to get the vehicle into neutral and it had to be dragged onto a flatbed truck to move it to the dealer.
Two days later, the service rep called and said a new engine would be needed. As of now, it should be ready tomorrow.
I'm in Vegas also. Where did you buy?

I ran into a guy who said nice truck! Then he told me he has the same one in white a 2023 only had 4,000 miles and was in the shop for a brand New engine due to rods. Makes you wonder why Chevy does not have a fix for this issue.

I just turned 1,500 mile on mine so far so good, planning on changing oil this weekend, and then again when I hit 5,000 mile mark!

Noticed my neighbor was playing musical vehicles for past month. Saw him out trimming trees a couple days ago and asked about his new vehicle. He said looong story. Gist was his wifes Yukon Denali 6.2 was getting a complete engine replacement, has taken over a month. I asked if it was lifters or bearings, and he said they said something like the latter (he’s not a mechanical guy). Think its a ‘21 or ‘22.

I’m afraid I’m part of this club now, ‘23 with 23k miles, family on way to braves game, rough shifting, then heard knocking and ticking sounded like metal in engine, pulled over in lot opened hood and sounded terrible, what do y’all think? Towed and at dealership will talk to them Monday, truck would not crank back, no warning lights at all.

Attaching video, had to convert to smaller file to upload.

Attachments

• IMG_3406 2.mp4
    7.5 MB
I’m afraid I’m part of this club now, ‘23 with 23k miles, family on way to braves game, rough shifting, then heard knocking and ticking sounded like metal in engine, pulled over in lot opened hood and sounded terrible, what do y’all think? Towed and at dealership will talk to them Monday, truck would not crank back, no warning lights at all.

Attaching video, had to convert to smaller file to upload.
Man o Man! Hope you get it worked out! Sorry to hear anybody going without their truck!

There was a young guy working at the jobsite last week. He had been driving a 22 Silverado Z71 5.3 L. Then he showed up in a Denali. I asked if he traded l, he said no that was his gramps truck. His truck ended up in the shop with a smoked motor. It had 60k on the clock and no warranty. The dealer said bent rods and probably bad crank. It'll cost $6-7k to fix.

So maybe this isn't unique to the 6.2L motor.

There was a young guy working at the jobsite last week. He had been driving a 22 Silverado Z71 5.3 L. Then he showed up in a Denali. I asked if he traded l, he said no that was his gramps truck. His truck ended up in the shop with a smoked motor. It had 60k on the clock and no warranty. The dealer said bent rods and probably bad crank. It'll cost $6-7k to fix.

The bearing issue is squarely with the 6.2. I have heard recently of one case here in Qatar.

I believe the issue will be fixed by MY26...

And for those of you considering the Tundra...it is MORE COMPLEX than this engine and costs 20k+ to fix out of warranty.
Before you start insulting me...

I heard the 5.3 liter was worse, for the lifter issue. I suppose because that was the standard engine. My friend picked up an AT4,2021. He lucked out and got on that did not have the chip for the cylinder drop out. I checked it and he's a happy camper, lucky to.

I heard the 5.3 liter was worse, for the lifter issue. I suppose because that was the standard engine. My friend picked up an AT4,2021. He lucked out and got on that did not have the chip for the cylinder drop out. I checked it and he's a happy camper, lucky to.
That was for MY21-22 I believe....there was a bad batch. That said, there were some 6.2s that do not have auto-start stop button...but I am not sure if they have DFM.
More 5.3s are made than 6.2s...also another factor.

If you make 600000 per year vehicles, then I suppose 30k COULD be at risk/or fail? Right?

That was for MY21-22 I believe....there was a bad batch. That said, there were some 6.2s that do not have auto-start stop button...but I am not sure if they have DFM.
More 5.3s are made than 6.2s...also another factor.

If you make 600000 per year vehicles, then I suppose 30k COULD be at risk/or fail? Right?
That's not a statistics that matters. If you're in the business of producing reliable vehicles, then they should be reliable and we shouldn't be calculating acceptable levels of shit product in year 4 of a given model.

That's not a statistics that matters. If you're in the business of producing reliable vehicles, then they should be reliable and we shouldn't be calculating acceptable levels of shit product in year 4 of a given model.
You do realize there is a cost to this also. As I said...statistics hardly factored into buying decisions here in Qatar.
They cannot SIMPLY copy other manufacturers...in trying to make PERFECT vehicles..when they can lose sales over already doubly overpriced cars...

Take the new Tundra as an example. Resale values are falling rapidly.....and even with the engine replacements...try to imagine the costs outside warranty...25k+.

Most Member Reactions

Back