6.2L Engine replacement

Sorry to hear that on your daughter’s truck. That is simply unacceptable. It just can't be that hard to put these things together reliably after decades of the same essential components.

Rear main seal is the verdict, looks like a 2-3 week turnaround. Dropping tranny and getting into the rear early next week. It’s recoverable but definitely sucks on a new rig, thankful it’s not a cracked block like they had for a while or engine replacement type of problem.

Been following a few Colorado forums and looking like a window opened this summer with bad rear main parts and/or assembly as they’ve been showing up randomly since late June.

Rear main seal is the verdict, looks like a 2-3 week turnaround. Dropping tranny and getting into the rear early next week. It’s recoverable but definitely sucks on a new rig, thankful it’s not a cracked block like they had for a while or engine replacement type of problem.

Been following a few Colorado forums and looking like a window opened this summer with bad rear main parts and/or assembly as they’ve been showing up randomly since late June.
She'll have to take the ZR2 to school!

Update on my engine going out at 23k

3 bearings went out, metal all through engine, replacing engine and radiator.

Thought I was getting brand new engine, turns out it’s a reman

Anyone have thoughts about reman vs brand new? Definitely concerned. Also working to get extended warranty as I have 0 confidence in this truck at this point.

Anyone have thoughts about reman vs brand new? Definitely concerned. Also working to get extended warranty as I have 0 confidence in this truck at this point.
If they will give you a 5 year, 100K warranty on the rebuild, that may not be a bad deal.

Where is it remanufactured, GM or a third party? I suppose they have enough damaged motors to salvage the blocks to start a successful reman program now, I'm sure business is good. I'd tell them you want a new one.

Last edited:

it would be nice to get a new long block. if GM is behind a reman dont see a prob. i would make sure you have an extended warranty.

Update to my situation. They got a brand new engine in it, GM made a payment. My lemon law lawyer says if it blows up again within the next two years I have a strong case to get it instantly bought back.
Good deal! I hope you don't have any more problems. Good to hear somebody's consulting with a lawyer. I think that is the way to handle this issue. It will also put you in a better position if there is future action involving GMs minimal response to it's customers for a known issue.

Good deal! I hope you don't have any more problems. Good to hear somebody's consulting with a lawyer. I think that is the way to handle this issue. It will also put you in a better position if there is future action involving GMs minimal response to it's customers for a known issue.
If the engine were to fail, the first year and 12k miles was the time to do it according to the lawyer because now the coverage for lemon law gets extended. Wish I didn't have to worry about it but I will just do Subaru oil change intervals from now on and blackstone every single one of them. And if it blows up again I'll just go ahead and join the duramax gang haha

If the engine were to fail, the first year and 12k miles was the time to do it according to the lawyer because now the coverage for lemon law gets extended. Wish I didn't have to worry about it but I will just do Subaru oil change intervals from now on and blackstone every single one of them. And if it blows up again I'll just go ahead and join the duramax gang haha
I am doing 5k oil intervals on my wife's Tahoe and about 3k on my 22 1500. I work my 22 harder than she does, so i consider it "severe duty". So far the two tests I've done appear the same regardless of use. I just did another change on my wife's rig and the sample is in the mail to Blackstone, so we'll see. At 5k miles, the DiC says it still has 33% oil life, but I don't use that info.

On that Subaru interval, just make sure you don't do the 2.5L "oops I drained the transmission and double filled the oil" style of oil change...

thankfully the STI 6 speeds have a plug far far away from the oil pan lol
giphy-2.gif

On that Subaru interval, just make sure you don't do the 2.5L "oops I drained the transmission and double filled the oil" style of oil change...
As a Subaru Ambassador, I can't tell you how many times I read about someone mistakenly draining their CVT thinking it was oil :oops:

Most Member Reactions

Back