Ughh………

56k was the highest I could find. Everyone was 50-56k. Didn't really surprise me because all the dealers are selling 1/2 ton at supplier pricing for everyone and GM had a large rebate or special financing on left over 23s. Pretty sure that's what caused the sudden dip on black book value.
Yes, the truck glut for the .5 ton is in full swing here in the DFW area. 426 .5 tons and 45 ZR2's at my dealer alone. They only have 88 2500's and 3 ZR2's right now. Eventually the HD's production will catch up and the value will drop for those as well.

I had to wait for 3 months until my Dealer would let me use my Supplier Price for my 2500 ZR2. Now no problem. The truck market is going to continue to get softer as the supply once again catches up and has in fact caught up for the most part in the .5 ton market.

My experience with the main bearing failure got a whole lot better after I asked for a meeting with the dealership GM. I explained that the dealership staff had been doing their jobs up to their roles and accountabilities. I didn't have any issues with them as they were going through a defined process. I wanted to know what he could offer from his role and authority with GM. I do believe things moved along faster and I was better informed of the status/process after that meeting.

Dave

My experience with the main bearing failure got a whole lot better after I asked for a meeting with the dealership GM. I explained that the dealership staff had been doing their jobs up to their roles and accountabilities. I didn't have any issues with them as they were going through a defined process. I wanted to know what he could offer from his role and authority with GM. I do believe things moved along faster and I was better informed of the status/process after that meeting.

Dave
I've said that since the earliest reported failures. My first conversation is going to be discussing a trade with the GM, highish book value and its done. They can sell me a another new truck to increase their volume, repair the old one, get the warranty work and sell it for no loss. Seems like an easy deal to me.

Last edited:
LINK to my story.

Got a call from GM this morning after telling the lady I spoke to on Tuesday that as soon as I got the truck back I'd either be trading it on a '25 ZR2 diesel if, between GM and the dealership, they would give me one helluva deal or driving down the street and trading it on a Ford or Dodge. I have numbers in mind as to what I'm going to request and what truck I'm going to order. Rep told me this morning that GM had been in touch with the dealer and they were working on a trade deal for me since my truck had been in the garage for more than 30 days. Suppose to pick mine up next Wednesday and will be patiently waiting to see what they're going to do for me.

MSRP on it was $76K & change 10 months ago and, frankly, I went outside of my normal vehicle dealing and accepted the offered trade with minimal bickering and without putting enough thought into it (they made bank on me). My starting point will be $66K for my truck (high end of KBB avg trade value) with the price on the new one being dealer invoice less dealer holdback. I think that's fair across the board given that it's been in the garage 20% of the time I've owned it. I understand it's unlikely to get that deal, but it's a start and I won't accept much less than that.

LINK to my story.

Got a call from GM this morning after telling the lady I spoke to on Tuesday that as soon as I got the truck back I'd either be trading it on a '25 ZR2 diesel if, between GM and the dealership, they would give me one helluva deal or driving down the street and trading it on a Ford or Dodge. I have numbers in mind as to what I'm going to request and what truck I'm going to order. Rep told me this morning that GM had been in touch with the dealer and they were working on a trade deal for me since my truck had been in the garage for more than 30 days. Suppose to pick mine up next Wednesday and will be patiently waiting to see what they're going to do for me.

MSRP on it was $76K & change 10 months ago and, frankly, I went outside of my normal vehicle dealing and accepted the offered trade with minimal bickering and without putting enough thought into it (they made bank on me). My starting point will be $66K for my truck (high end of KBB avg trade value) with the price on the new one being dealer invoice less dealer holdback. I think that's fair across the board given that it's been in the garage 20% of the time I've owned it. I understand it's unlikely to get that deal, but it's a start and I won't accept much less than that.
good luck. keep us in the loop.

LINK to my story.

You will be lucky to get $60-$62K for your truck and that's on the high side IMPO. If you can get more out of them, that's great. I wish you the best.

Last edited:
LINK to my story.

All negotiations start somewhere. That's a good place to start. Good luck to you, hope you get what you want.

All they can do is say no. Head for the door, remind them you are headed to the competition and see if they change their minds.

So, the service manager called me Friday afternoon and said he received a call from his rep and his rep wanted to know if I would be interested in some freebies versus doing a buyback. I never requested a buyback. He offered 3 year free subscription to OnStar, $500 GM reward points, and some other accessories. I told the service manager that I wasn't interested in any of the freebies but that I was interested in a new diesel ZR2 at one hell of a deal. Trying to negotiate in good faith I guess.

The more I've read about this stuff, the more I think I'm probably entitled to a buyback. They have had it for over 30 days which I think may be a qualifier under lemon law. I'm not necessarily looking for anything free, just would like to be out from underneath this truck in a new diesel at minimal cost to me. I'm going to use the buyback idea as a negotiating tool.

Fucking OnStar doesn't even show my 2500HD ZR2 truck avatar in the app. It's barely worth about $5 a month. If I didn't like to start my truck remotely when it's 110 out, I'm not sure it's worth $5 for life.

GM points you can buy some +50% accessories.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240811_113446.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240811_113446.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Before I post this, let me say, yes, I realize I need to ask an attorney and not random people that I don't know on an internet message board, but figured I'd ask to see if anybody has had any experience.

My truck is suppose to be ready for pickup this Wednesday. As I've indicated previously, I'm more interested in a trade that takes care of me and allows me to get out of this truck and into a new one. However, if they won't give me a deal that I find acceptable, and I decide to go the buyback route, should I pick the truck up? I don't want to put myself in a position that I've accepted the truck by simply picking it up.

Before I post this, let me say, yes, I realize I need to ask an attorney and not random people that I don't know on an internet message board, but figured I'd ask to see if anybody has had any experience.

My truck is suppose to be ready for pickup this Wednesday. As I've indicated previously, I'm more interested in a trade that takes care of me and allows me to get out of this truck and into a new one. However, if they won't give me a deal that I find acceptable, and I decide to go the buyback route, should I pick the truck up? I don't want to put myself in a position that I've accepted the truck by simply picking it up.
If you want to force their hand, tell them you don't plan to take possession and you are retaining counsel to represent you in the matter. If they don't move, then you leave it up to counsel to manage the process. I would set aside $3,000-15,000k to fight them. It could take a few days or go on for months.

I've have had 100% of judgement ruled in my favor in many legal proceeding. Many of which were funded by the companies I was consulting for on projects. The others were my own business and personal matters. I never thought there was any risk of me losing so it was any easy decision to spend the money on attorney fees. That being said I've spent as much or more on attorney fees as I got back. Ou also burn a lot of time. But I'm a stubborn bastard and a couple times I did it just to prove a point. That makes for good campfire lore.

If you want to force their hand, tell them you don't plan to take possession and you are retaining counsel to represent you in the matter. If they don't move, then you leave it up to counsel to manage the process. I would set aside $3,000-15,000k to fight them. It could take a few days or go on for months.

I've have had 100% of judgement ruled in my favor in many legal proceeding. Many of which were funded by the companies I was consulting for on projects. The others were my own business and personal matters. I never thought there was any risk of me losing so it was any easy decision to spend the money on attorney fees. That being said I've spent as much or more on attorney fees as I got back. Ou also burn a lot of time. But I'm a stubborn bastard and a couple times I did it just to prove a point. That makes for good campfire lore.
^^^^ This, I would not accept the truck, and retain a barrister, in my view you take that truck you have lost a little leverage

^^^^ This, I would not accept the truck, and retain a barrister, in my view you take that truck you have lost a little leverage
i did get in touch with an attorney yesterday who told me he handled a case almost identical to mine about a year ago and ended up getting a settlement for his client. said he sent a certified letter and was called within a couple days by a GM rep and was asked what it would take to settle. he asked them what they proposed and was told a $4K payment to basically make it go away. he countered with "i was thinking more along the lines of $15K" and said they settled at $10K.

at any rate, he said to definitely not take possession of the truck until a settlement with GM and the dealer is reached. so, i'm going to call and let them know i've consulted an attorney and what it'll take to make me happy. i basically bought the truck to pull my boat back and forth to the chesapeake bay during the summer and i've had to borrow a truck four times since this happened, which was while pulling the boat to the bay. he said to press that pretty hard to let them know how much i've been inconvenienced over the past 2 months.

oh, for others that may go through something like this, i called a friend who i haven't talked to in a while; he use to own a GM dealership, sold out and retired around 8 years ago (i use to buy all my trucks from him and he'd sell me his demo trucks with a couple thou miles at a huge discount). anyhoo, he told me that the regional reps are allocated funds by GM to make situations like this go away, which makes sense considering what i said above about the attorney's other client. he said the rep could allocate the funds to the dealership to make them whole in whatever deal we come up with. he also said not to pick the truck up until a settlement/deal was reached, and said the same thing about not having the truck ruined multiple trips to the bay.

i did get in touch with an attorney yesterday who told me he handled a case almost identical to mine about a year ago and ended up getting a settlement for his client. said he sent a certified letter and was called within a couple days by a GM rep and was asked what it would take to settle. he asked them what they proposed and was told a $4K payment to basically make it go away. he countered with "i was thinking more along the lines of $15K" and said they settled at $10K.

at any rate, he said to definitely not take possession of the truck until a settlement with GM and the dealer is reached. so, i'm going to call and let them know i've consulted an attorney and what it'll take to make me happy. i basically bought the truck to pull my boat back and forth to the chesapeake bay during the summer and i've had to borrow a truck four times since this happened, which was while pulling the boat to the bay. he said to press that pretty hard to let them know how much i've been inconvenienced over the past 2 months.

oh, for others that may go through something like this, i called a friend who i haven't talked to in a while; he use to own a GM dealership, sold out and retired around 8 years ago (i use to buy all my trucks from him and he'd sell me his demo trucks with a couple thou miles at a huge discount). anyhoo, he told me that the regional reps are allocated funds by GM to make situations like this go away, which makes sense considering what i said above about the attorney's other client. he said the rep could allocate the funds to the dealership to make them whole in whatever deal we come up with. he also said not to pick the truck up until a settlement/deal was reached, and said the same thing about not having the truck ruined multiple trips to the bay.
Good deal, I am glad some are pushing back on this bullshit approach that GM and the dealers are putting people through. They should immediately bring a deal to the table when a brand new motor is smoked due to poor materials and workmanship. People shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops and burn up time and cash to fix a problem when GM is spitting out record sales revenue and profit.

Update for anybody that gives a damn.

GM rep called 2 days ago and indicated they sent the dealer options for me. I called the dealer and they indicated they'd received nothing from GM. GM rep indicated she would call me back yesterday, no call back.

Service manager called yesterday morning and indicated GM is basically putting my case back on the dealer to provide me a good deal on a trade. Problem is, they're just now starting to take orders on '25's, and I'm not trading a '24 on a '24, so it will be 3 months, give or take, before the '25 would come in and the dealer understandably won't commit to a trade in value on the truck at this point. And, it's not on the dealer to make this right (although I told them if they want to keep my business they're going to have to give me one helluva deal on the next one), it's on the manufacturer to make this right . . . in my mind, anyhow.

Yesterday, I spoke to a lemon law attorney and was told I have an excellent case. He said that based on my truck being in the shop for repairs for almost two months, I have an excellent case and that if I pursue, I would likely end up with 1) a full refund of purchase price; or 2) an even trade for one of equal value when mine was new; or 3) a cash settlement equal to the difference between the MSRP and current trade in value. I haven't signed with them yet, was waiting to hear was GM rep has to say if/when she calls me back, but since she didn't yesterday when she said she would, I'm likely retaining the attorney today. He said it would likely take 3 to 5 months to fully resolve which would fall in line with when the '25's are hitting the market.

He also told me to go pick up the truck, so I did yesterday afternoon (damn, I missed that truck). Frankly, the other engine must have been 1/2 screwed from the beginning as the truck seems to run noticeably better than it did. I had a 2010 silverado with the 6.2L and it seemed to me that it ran significantly better than this one did for the first 5600 miles; not sure that's the case now. I didn't dog it hard on the way back from the dealership which is ~45 miles away via a twisty/hilly country road, but I didn't cut it much slack*, either.

I'm still pursuing the lemon law suit, though. This has pretty much screwed my summer of pulling my boat to the Chesapeake multiple times, which is one of the main reasons I purchased the truck. And, after smoking the engine back in June while pulling the boat to the Chesapeake, along with the stories of trucks going through a 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th 6.2 that I've heard and read about , I don't believe I trust the truck to get me there and back (roughly 360 mile round trip).

* Thanks to this forum, I found that the truck has the drive modes that I was unaware of before; just didn't pay attention, I guess. Anyhoo, the Sport mode is frickin' spectacular, mainly for the added deeper exhaust noise rumbling out.

Most Member Reactions

Back