6.2L Engine replacement

Last edited:
Owning the issue speaks volumes for customer care!

GM "we don't know why our shit breaks and we might help you if we get around to it, but we're kinda too busy to care, so get in line".

Apparently, Toyota's warranty sucks now as well. The link below is to a Ben Hardy commentary about his wife's newer Land Crusier. Water is leaking around the sun roof causing the air bag wiring to corrode. This disables the air bags and kicks on an air bag light. Toyota denied his warranty claim and pretty much told him to go pound sand....... Twice! They traded the first one in thinking it was just a fluke. They got another new Land Cruiser and its happened again!! I think he said it's an $8000 repair that Toyota expects the owner to pay for even though the vehicle is still under warranty. I'm not a lawyer but I see a humongous lawsuit in Toyota's future.

Last edited:
Apparently, Toyota's warranty sucks now as well. The link below is to a Ben Hardy commentary about his wife's newer Land Crusier. Water is leaking around the sun roof causing the air bag wiring to corrode. This disables the air bags and kicks on an air bag light. Toyota denied his warranty claim and pretty much told him to go pound sand....... Twice! They traded the first one in thinking it was just a fluke. They got another new Land Cruiser and its happened again!! I think he said it's an $8000 repair that Toyota expects the owner to pay for even though the vehicle is still under warranty. I'm not a lawyer but I see a humongous lawsuit in Toyota's future.

Ben should introduce his attorney to Toyota or quit buying their shit.

You can't miss his giant head!
1000038671.gif

Another victim of bad bearings here. Mains let go at 5,622 miles on my '24, I'm suppose to get the truck back next week after being down for what will be 7 days shy of 2 months. It took until 2.5 weeks ago for GM to approve engine replacement. I was told engines were on backorder with no ETA so was figuring Sept or Oct. Miraculously, the new engine showed up this past Monday and the dealer indicated their shop is full this week but would get it in next Monday and it should be ready to be picked up by Wednesday.

All that said, keep it or trade it? I've not seen nor heard anything that would indicate GM has resolved the issue. I've spoken to 2 other people who have had the same issue, both are on their THIRD engine, and have read story after story of others being in the same predicament. I don't want to go through this again and unless I know the issue has been resolved, I'm thinking of ordering a new ZR2 with the Duramax.

Is there anything concrete out there that indicates the issue has been resolved?

Another victim of bad bearings here. Mains let go at 5,622 miles on my '24, I'm suppose to get the truck back next week after being down for what will be 7 days shy of 2 months. It took until 2.5 weeks ago for GM to approve engine replacement. I was told engines were on backorder with no ETA so was figuring Sept or Oct. Miraculously, the new engine showed up this past Monday and the dealer indicated their shop is full this week but would get it in next Monday and it should be ready to be picked up by Wednesday.

All that said, keep it or trade it? I've not seen nor heard anything that would indicate GM has resolved the issue. I've spoken to 2 other people who have had the same issue, both are on their THIRD engine, and have read story after story of others being in the same predicament. I don't want to go through this again and unless I know the issue has been resolved, I'm thinking of ordering a new ZR2 with the Duramax.

Is there anything concrete out there that indicates the issue has been resolved?
I think this depends heavily on the part number you got. Supposedly the engines that received bad bearings belong to a PN that has been superseded *twice* now. The other guys you spoke to could very well have gotten new engines that had the same contaminated bearing supply as their previous motors depending on when the changeover happened. May/June timeframe seems to be when they revised the PN the first time. Anything with I believe the 12716401 PN is likely at risk of having gotten a bad bearing set

I think this depends heavily on the part number you got. Supposedly the engines that received bad bearings belong to a PN that has been superseded *twice* now. The other guys you spoke to could very well have gotten new engines that had the same contaminated bearing supply as their previous motors depending on when the changeover happened. May/June timeframe seems to be when they revised the PN the first time. Anything with I believe the 12716401 PN is likely at risk of having gotten a bad bearing set
I just called the dealership to get the part number on the engine they're installing: 12740076 is the number. Quick Google search indicates it's a replacement engine for 2021-2023 L87.

Where is the part number located on the motor?

Doesn't make much sense that they still having issues with a 24. That's three years of motors.
I can't believe that suddenly the 25s will be any better.

This might be more of a manufacturing issue during assembly or bad design on the block. There had to be some alignment issues with the crank or something. Bearings would be easy to fix. They are simple to design and manufacture. If it was a harden issue, they'd have that figured out by now.

I can't imagine that as more and more of these stack up that resale will be worth a shit.

I would recommend oil analysis starting at 5k miles and every 5 k after.

If you are wanting to get a new one I would have worked it out with GM because of the length of time to fix it to order you a new replacement truck. You will take a beating if you handle the deal as a trade. They are not your friend.

Where is the part number located on the motor?

Doesn't make much sense that they still having issues with a 24. That's three years of motors.
I can't believe that suddenly the 25s will be any better.

This might be more of a manufacturing issue during assembly or bad design on the block. There had to be some alignment issues with the crank or something. Bearings would be easy to fix. They are simple to design and manufacture. If it was a harden issue, they'd have that figured out by now.

I can't imagine that as more and more of these stack up that resale will be worth a shit.

I would recommend oil analysis starting at 5k miles and every 5 k after.
not sure where the part number is located on the engine. I called the dealership and asked for it.

the service manager told me the bearing caps were black when they tore the engine down and indicated they had obviously overheated from bearing malfunction.

If you are wanting to get a new one I would have worked it out with GM because of the length of time to fix it to order you a new replacement truck. You will take a beating if you handle the deal as a trade. They are not your friend.
i'm working with a GM rep. they called yesterday to let me know the engine was in and it would be ready for pickup by next Wednesday (service mgr had already called me on Monday).

when the service mgr called Monday I asked him what he would do if it was his truck, knowing the issues with the 6.2's. told him to remove himself from being a GM employee and give me his honest opinion. his response: "i would trade it and let someone else deal with it."

when the GM rep called yesterday, I told them that my intention was to trade it as soon as i got it back because i've yet to speak ro anybody or read anything that indicates GM has recognized and corrected the issue and that after talking to and reading about others that are on their 3rd engine, i wouldn't be taking the chance. i told them that if GM didn't take damn good care of me on this trade that i would drive the truck 200 yards down the street where there are ford and dodge dealerships beside each other. i told them that i hate to leave GM, and that my wife and i on average purchase a new silverado and yahoe/yukon every 4 to 5 years, and that i'd gladly throw $150K+ at one of the other brands.

i did emphasize that i've owned the truck for 10 months with it being at the dealership for engine replacement for 2 of those months. they indicated they'd elevate my request to whoever and that they would be getting back in touch to let me know what they would do for me.

we'll see what happens but have next to zero confidence they will do anything for me.

just found this which indicates the part number of the engine they got for my truck replaces the part number indicated in your post.

Most Member Reactions

Back