Shit or Get Off the Pot???

securityguy

Reaction score
Final call for thoughts and suggestions:

1. I can get $57K for my 2023 ZR2 with 11K miles on her
2. I am looking at a 2500HD High Country Midnight Edition Package with the following: 6.6L Duramax; Technology Package; Tri-Fold Hard Tonneau Cover; Z71 Off Road Package; Multiflex Tailgate; High Idle Switch; LED Roof Marker Lamps
3. The MSRP on the High Country Midnight Edition is $90,720
4. Selling Price is $80,725

I also looked at a 2500HD ZR2 Bison which has an MSRP of just over $97K that I can get for $87K. I like it, but don't see the value in the Bison package here in FL where all I do is go on the beaches.

This will be my first diesel and, as I have stated before, I do a lot of short distance driving, but I'm being sold on the Duramax for resale and told that as long as I take her out once a week for a decent drive and open her up, I should be ok. Yes? No?

Here are a few pics of both trucks and I took them both out for a drive and they felt very similar and super smooth. I'm leaning towards the High Country as my wife will appreciate that more and a ZR2 is just overkill for me. If the ZR2 didn't have the Bison, that would still be in the running. I like the seats in the HC better than the ZR2 as well. They just felt more upscale.

Before I drop around $25K out of pocket, just want to hear from my friends your final thoughts. If I move forward, I will pick it up no later than Wednesday.

One last question. My buddy, who's the GM, is driving the exact same 2500HD High Country as a demo. The new one has 12 miles on her. His has 2000 and he offered me his for another $1000 off. If I go forward...buy "new" or take his demo he's been driving and save another $1000?

2500HD1.jpg
2500HD2.jpg
2500HD3.jpg
2500HD4.jpg
2500HD5.jpg
2500HD6.jpg
2500HD7.jpg

Last edited:
Get the midnight high country, try something different. Then in a couple of years you’ll see what’s new and try something different again. Within two years short trips won’t give you any problems other than frequent regen attempts.

Final call for thoughts and suggestions:

1. I can get $57K for my 2023 ZR2 with 11K miles on her
2. I am looking at a 2500HD High Country Midnight Edition Package with the following: 6.6L Duramax; Technology Package; Tri-Fold Hard Tonneau Cover; Z71 Off Road Package; Multiflex Tailgate; High Idle Switch; LED Roof Marker Lamps
3. The MSRP on the High Country Midnight Edition is $90,720
4. Selling Price is $80,725

I also looked at a 2500HD ZR2 Bison which has an MSRP of just over $97K that I can get for $87K. I like it, but don't see the value in the Bison package here in FL where all I do is go on the beaches.

This will be my first diesel and, as I have stated before, I do a lot of short distance driving, but I'm being sold on the Duramax for resale and told that as long as I take her out once a week for a decent drive and open her up, I should be ok. Yes? No?

Here are a few pics of both trucks and I took them both out for a drive and they felt very similar and super smooth. I'm leaning towards the High Country as my wife will appreciate that more and a ZR2 is just overkill for me. If the ZR2 didn't have the Bison, that would still be in the running. I like the seats in the HC better than the ZR2 as well. They just felt more upscale.

Before I drop around $25K out of pocket, just want to hear from my friends your final thoughts. If I move forward, I will pick it up no later than Wednesday.

View attachment 14847View attachment 14848View attachment 14849View attachment 14850View attachment 14851View attachment 14852View attachment 14853
Question is do you have 3 available parking spots at your humble abode?

Get the midnight high country, try something different. Then in a couple of years you’ll see what’s new and try something different again. Within two years short trips won’t give you any problems other than frequent regen attempts.
Those are my thoughts as well and my buddy, whose the GM of the Chevy dealer, said the same thing :)

Neither one will ever look this good, so I'd get the one that had the straightest rear bumper!

Both are good deals. I"d offer him another +$2k so you don't feel guilty later when you sell them for more than any other vehicle you've owned.

As I've said before, I short trip the shit out of my Duramaxes and I've hardly had any issues. I had to replace a DEF temp sensor, a 9th injector, and a water pump in 270k combined miles.......all warranty work around the 4-5 year mark.

I don't abuse my rigs, but I work them plenty good just the same. Cheapest expensive vehicle I've ever owned is a 2500HD Duramax. There isn't another option!

Attachments

• 20180825_163907.jpg
    20180825_163907.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Neither one will ever look this good, so I'd get the one that had the straightest rear bumper!

Both are good deals. I"d offer him another +$2k so you don't feel guilty later when you sell them for more than any other vehicle you've owned.

As I've said before, I short trip the shit out of my Duramaxes and I've hardly had any issues. I had to replace a DEF temp sensor, a 9th injector, and a water pump in 270k combined miles.......all warranty work around the 4-5 year mark.

I don't abuse my rigs, but I work them plenty good just the same. Cheapest expensive vehicle I've ever owned is a 2500HD Duramax. There isn't another option!
Yeah but at the end of the day it's not a Titie-Rex

Last edited:
Well, the decision was made today. Going to change it up a bit with the High Country 2500 HD Midnight Edition with a very special "twist" to it that no other HC has, or will have, that helped me seal the deal. Not going to give away the "surprise" until I pick it up and have the modification done to it. Got an AMAZING deal and it's coming with an installed BAK MX4 hard cover, Chevy all weather mats, and the under seat storage unit. Mud guards are already installed as well. I got her for 12% below MSRP ($90,720). Picking her up on Wednesday. The Trailer Brake Module Customer Satisfaction Campaign has already been replaced with the new part and all 9 grease fittings will be topped off tomorrow since @AXE stated that some said they were a bit low on grease. Getting my first two oil changes free and ordering my GM Platinum warranty from Knapp after delivery.

Next steps will be to install my Ultimate9 throttle controller out of my 1500 and my front and rear dash cams. I'll then ceramic coat it professionally and order the Banks iDash Super Gauge with their custom pillar mount. May do a few more Banks upgrades but I don't plan on going crazy. If they do a redesign in 2027, which is the plan now for the HDs (1500's will see a redesign for 2026), I'll trade her in then so I may keep this a bit longer than I typically do but we'll see how things play out.

Pics to follow once everything is done my friends :)

Well, the decision was made today. Going to change it up a bit with the High Country 2500 HD Midnight Edition with a very special "twist" to it that no other HC has, or will have, that helped me seal the deal. Not going to give away the "surprise" until I pick it up and have the modification done to it. Got an AMAZING deal and it's coming with an installed BAK MX4 hard cover, Chevy all weather mats, and the under seat storage unit. Mud guards are already installed as well. I got her for 12% below MSRP ($90,720). Picking her up on Wednesday. The Trailer Brake Module Customer Satisfaction Campaign has already been replaced with the new part and all 9 grease fittings will be topped off tomorrow since @AXE stated that some said they were a bit low on grease. Getting my first two oil changes free and ordering my GM Platinum warranty from Knapp after delivery.

Next steps will be to install my Ultimate9 throttle controller out of my 1500 and my front and rear dash cams. I'll then ceramic coat it professionally and order the Banks iDash Super Gauge with their custom pillar mount. May do a few more Banks upgrades but I don't plan on going crazy. If they do a redesign in 2027, which is the plan now for the HDs (1500's will see a redesign for 2026), I'll trade her in then so I may keep this a bit longer than I typically do but we'll see how things play out.

Pics to follow once everything is done my friends :)
No pics no clicks

Most Member Reactions

Back