Oem Trailer camera's?

8ball_99

Reaction score
Anyone on here have the factory trailer camera system? If so what's your opinion of it? Does it work well and is worth getting? I'm curious if the camera mirror can use the feed or if it only adds a view on the main screen.

Anyone on here have the factory trailer camera system? If so what's your opinion of it? Does it work well and is worth getting? I'm curious if the camera mirror can use the feed or if it only adds a view on the main screen.
I have the package but I've never used it. I was planning on buying an inclosed trailer to use it on, but haven't got around to it.

I was looking into also. When I first got my truck they had a double available, one for outside and one for for the inside of the trailer. All I can find now is one camera. I like the idea of factory as it plugs in by the bumper and integrates into the system.

Well I just ordered one, So i'll guess we will see lol. I picked up a RV the other day. It's prepped for their wireless system. But it just makes more sense to me to make use of the truck's system.

Did you get one camera or two?

I just got one, they are the same camera's. The left port is for exterior, the right is for inside. But the camera's and cable is the same. Or atleast that's my understanding. I would like to have one in the garage of the camper to be able to check on things. But the exterior rear is the main thing. Figured I'd try it out and decide later on the 2nd one.

Oh and the best price I seen was from shopchevyparts. I've ordered from them in the past also.

I've installed the OEM camera system on my trailer and at first the truck couldn't recognize the camera. I took it to the dealership and they had to update the camera module in order for it to function correctly. It works great with backing up as well as driving. I thought it would work with the rear view but it only works with the center screen .

I just got one, they are the same camera's. The left port is for exterior, the right is for inside. But the camera's and cable is the same. Or atleast that's my understanding. I would like to have one in the garage of the camper to be able to check on things. But the exterior rear is the main thing. Figured I'd try it out and decide later on the 2nd one.

Oh and the best price I seen was from shopchevyparts. I've ordered from them in the past also.
Thanks for the info.

No verdict yet, but I can say shopchevyparts got it shipped pretty quick. Camera and wire loom seems good quality. Better than the average Amazon or ebay trailer cameras I've had in the past.
20240606_121500.jpg

what are you waiting for? lets go. wanna see this. chop chop!!
I already did. It's on the camper and I went through the setup process for the invisible trailer deal. Lol, BUT I haven't reported back because once you enter all the trailer's measurements you then have to drive it for the system to calibrate. Normally that wouldn't be that big of a deal. But my toyhauler is new. It tells you to basically load the trailer like you normally would. Well I'm waiting on some new tire bonnets to be able to strap my SxS down. My old ones are etrack only. This camper has D Rings. So I can't drive around with the trailer, until my straps come in.

I can say that if you want to use invisible trailer feature. The camera has to be mounted down low on the camper. The instructions say about 3" higher on the trailer than the rear camera is on your truck. There is also is a length limit. My instructions say 33'. But I guess that is wrong because it wouldn't let me proceed with invisible trailer with that setting. I kept changing it and it finally let it go through at 381" or 31' 9". My trailer is actually 408" long. So I'm not sure how well it will work. From looking online it still should work, just might not be perfect. But I want to calibrate it and test it before I permanently mount the camera.

Of course the other option is to just skip the invisible trailer feature and just mount the camera up at the top of the camper like a conventional back up camera. Which might very well be the way I go. I would like to atleast try the feature out first though, Before I decide if I want to just skip it. My straps are supposed to be here today, My truck and trailer is still connected and my SxS is still loaded in the back. So I'm literally just waiting on some wheel bonnets, lol.

I already did. It's on the camper and I went through the setup process for the invisible trailer deal. Lol, BUT I haven't reported back because once you enter all the trailer's measurements you then have to drive it for the system to calibrate. Normally that wouldn't be that big of a deal. But my toyhauler is new. It tells you to basically load the trailer like you normally would. Well I'm waiting on some new tire bonnets to be able to strap my SxS down. My old ones are etrack only. This camper has D Rings. So I can't drive around with the trailer, until my straps come in.

I can say that if you want to use invisible trailer feature. The camera has to be mounted down low on the camper. The instructions say about 3" higher on the trailer than the rear camera is on your truck. There is also is a length limit. My instructions say 33'. But I guess that is wrong because it wouldn't let me proceed with invisible trailer with that setting. I kept changing it and it finally let it go through at 381" or 31' 9". My trailer is actually 408" long. So I'm not sure how well it will work. From looking online it still should work, just might not be perfect. But I want to calibrate it and test it before I permanently mount the camera.

Of course the other option is to just skip the invisible trailer feature and just mount the camera up at the top of the camper like a conventional back up camera. Which might very well be the way I go. I would like to atleast try the feature out first though, Before I decide if I want to just skip it. My straps are supposed to be here today, My truck and trailer is still connected and my SxS is still loaded in the back. So I'm literally just waiting on some wheel bonnets, lol.
Yep I ended up putting mine on the top of my hybrid trailer and just settled with looking to see who is behind the trailer through the CRT. That method was much more reliable!

Yep I ended up putting mine on the top of my hybrid trailer and just settled with looking to see who is behind the trailer through the CRT. That method was much more reliable!
So you tried out the invisible trailer deal and didn't like it? Or did it just not work well? When I realized how low the camera needs to be for that feature. I almost just mounted up top and called it a day. But I figured I'd give it a try.

So you tried out the invisible trailer deal and didn't like it? Or did it just not work well? When I realized how low the camera needs to be for that feature. I almost just mounted up top and called it a day. But I figured I'd give it a try.
Well I worked on it for a day and I had very little luck. So I took it to the Dealer and they knew less than I did . Even after the update. And of course they wanted to bill me for there time and told go ahead and I will stop doing business with them..
What a bunch of idiots! 😂🤣😎

Most Member Reactions

Back