Gas or Diesel on my new 2025?

I'm not sure this is really the case as much anymore. That use to be how it was. But with emissions, lots of people are scared of higher mileage trucks. I have a buddy who was just shopping for a 2500. He ended up buying an older one because he was scared of emissions. Deleted trucks can be a question mark depending on what was done and if they were abused. Always a concern on if they were running the hottest tune towing, ect. Use to be a high mileage diesel might need injectors, ect. But now it's different. I mean would you trust a used diesel with 180k on it with modern emissions? Not hard to spend major $$ chasing emission problems. I mean just the DPF alone with out chasing electrical or anything else is 3k. With how complicated the system is and how common problems are. It's like buying an old Audi or Jag, lol.
Hi @8ball_99. Did I mess something with emissions? The UK has the most treehunger- fruitloop-green-regulator requirements in the world and a displacement tax on top of that. And diesel reigns king over there. I don’t understand the concern unless this is a cyber truck forum?

Reactions: AXE
Hi @8ball_99. Did I mess something with emissions? The UK has the most treehunger- fruitloop-green-regulator requirements in the world and a displacement tax on top of that. And diesel reigns king over there. I don’t understand the concern unless this is a cyber truck forum?

Lol, not real sure what you mean on the Cyber truck comment. I drive a 6.6 Gas ZR2 that averages 12mpg. I don't know about in the UK, but here diesel emissions systems are a pita. I've had them. Heck my tractor has a DPF currently. I live in the country and literally everyone I know drives HD trucks. One of my best friends is a diesel tech and services a fleet of equipment. His daily is a 5.7 Tundra, lol. Emissions problems are just really common with them here. My brother-n-law had to drop his GMC 2500 off at the dealer a couple weeks ago for an emissions light. He might have 36k miles? I like diesels. I drove a Duramax daily for 11 years. But my truck had all the emissions equipment removed by my buddy before it even had 28k miles on it.

BTW my truck got deleted so fast because it went into limp mode while pulling my toyhauler in the mountains at 11pm at night. The problem was a bad DEF sensor. I was 4 hours from home.

Lol, not real sure what you mean on the Cyber truck comment. I drive a 6.6 Gas ZR2 that averages 12mpg. I don't know about in the UK, but here diesel emissions systems are a pita. I've had them. Heck my tractor has a DPF currently. I live in the country and literally everyone I know drives HD trucks. One of my best friends is a diesel tech and services a fleet of equipment. His daily is a 5.7 Tundra, lol. Emissions problems are just really common with them here. My brother-n-law had to drop his GMC 2500 off at the dealer a couple weeks ago for an emissions light. He might have 36k miles? I like diesels. I drove a Duramax daily for 11 years. But my truck had all the emissions equipment removed by my buddy before it even had 28k miles on it.

BTW my truck got deleted so fast because it went into limp mode while pulling my toyhauler in the mountains at 11pm at night. The problem was a bad DEF sensor. I was 4 hours from home.

I understand now 😀. I thought you were talking about regulatory emissions (pollutants) and that us diesel owners could run into issues in the with emissions vs gas 😅. Hence, the cyber truck comment.

I understand now 😀. I thought you were talking about regulatory emissions (pollutants) and that us diesel owners could run into issues in the with emissions vs gas 😅. Hence, the cyber truck comment.
Ahh ok. No actually the opposite. I'd buy a 2025 diesel tomorrow if I could get one with extra pollutants, lol.

Ahh ok. No actually the opposite. I'd buy a 2025 diesel tomorrow if I could get one with extra pollutants, lol.

I talked to a guy yesterday in ND that claims his buddy just did a delete on his brand new Duramax and is getting 600HP and over 1000 lb feet of torque. I think he said it was a Canadian company that did the tuning, but he did the work himself. He showed me the software he used on his smartphone for his Ram.

This isn't the company, but it seems like the Canucks can do the deletes since they don't have the commie restrictions we have.

I talked to a guy yesterday in ND that claims his buddy just did a delete on his brand new Duramax and is getting 600HP and over 1000 lb feet of torque. I think he said it was a Canadian company that did the tuning, but he did the work himself. He showed me the software he used on his smartphone for his Ram.

This isn't the company, but it seems like the Canucks can do the deletes since they don't have the commie restrictions we have.

Both countries have shit laws on certain things, but comparing the great white north with murica, I would rather have my gun rights than diesel freedom....

You sound strangely delicious
mmmm-yummy.gif

Yeah the tunes on my last truck came from Canada. I guess they are more lax on it. Probably because of the cold and the need to idle a lot.
I have a buddy that's a dealer for them. But last I checked was back in December and nothing was available for 24+ yet. Besides it's about 10k for the 19+. Not really worth it to me. I just went gas. I couldn't see paying 20k more for a diesel. I've been very happy with my Gasser. Pulls everything I need it to NP. It actually drives better around town cause it doesn't have any lag. Blip the throttle and it chirps the tires instantly. Just doesn't have that boost on the top end is the only thing I miss. Definitely don't miss the extra weight or changing fuel filters and 3 gallon oil changes either.

I bought a new 2024 1500 ZR2 in May, which i got to drive for a few days before discovering the axel was bent and hitting the frame. The replacement parts were on back order with no ETA, The dealership was saying it could be 6 months to a year. The dealership legally has no liability here so I have been dealing with General Motors and their lawyers. They finally agreed to refund my full purchase price in addition to a $10k credit towards a new ZR2.

I figured I might as well use the extra $10k to go with a 2500 Bison package. I am currently going back and forth between the gas or diesel engine, so I came here for some unbiased opinions!! haha

I live in the suburban Cincinnati area, my commute to work is about 80 miles round trip (all highway). I hail trailers occasionally, but nothing over about 5,000lbs. And never more than 50 miles or so. I work for my wife's family company and they pay for my gas ( so fuel prices are not a deciding factor). I am more familiar with gas engines and how they work, diesel is a foreign langue to me. I am leaning towards the dielel for the HP and Torque gains. Also for the engine and exhaust noise, the longevity and reliability. I plan on keeping this truck till the wheels fall off, Ive heard Duramax engines lasting up almost 500k miles.

So at the end of the day I'm wondering if its worth the extra $10k for a diesel engine even if i don't need it? Are the performance gains going to be worth it? Will I ever notice a difference when I'm not towing? Can I expect a diesel engie to last longer?
If it's not too late?? Get the diesel. I've owned 3 gas HD2500s 04, 19, 20, and now a 24. The gas 6.6 is a GREAT motor. Plenty of power, especially if only towing 5k or less. I was getting 16.5-18 Mpg as long as I stayed under 80mph. Above that and it dropped like a rock. Pull anything and it drops to 10. I upgraded to diesal to pull my race car. 8900lbs. The actual reason to get the diesel is 2 fold. Better resale and the ride is actually slightly better. That said, the 6.6 ran like a clock.

Most Member Reactions

Back