Gas or Diesel on my new 2025?

If you plan to go Artic Circle, especially in Winter, Diesel can be a lot fun 😉

Now depends upon how much of fun you want to have 😁

Ohio winters are not that crazy anymore. Now on that case depends if you want the hassle of DEF or not.

Reactions: AXE
Either is overkill for not towing. Personally I went with gas because of diesel emissions. But if your daily commute is 80 miles. A diesel wouldn't be a bad idea. Hardest thing on modern diesels is short tripping them and idling them. Running them on the highway constantly helps keep the emissions cleaner. Also you will get better mileage and range with a diesel. I know you said fuel costs isn't a big factor, but range might be. I love my Gasser, but if I was highway driving 80 miles, 5 days a week, maybe I'd have gotten another diesel. Would be a hard call for me also.

1000038602.jpg

One thing to consider is a diesel will hold it value better, depreciate slower, so you’ll have more equity in it 5-10 yrs down the road.

Reactions: AXE
One thing to consider is a diesel will hold it value better, depreciate slower, so you’ll have more equity in it 5-10 yrs down the road.
I'm not sure this is really the case as much anymore. That use to be how it was. But with emissions, lots of people are scared of higher mileage trucks. I have a buddy who was just shopping for a 2500. He ended up buying a older one because he was scared of emissions. Deleted trucks can be a question mark depending on what was done and if they were abused. Always a concern on if they were running the hottest tune towing, ect. Use to be a high mileage diesel might need injectors, ect. But now it's different. I mean would you trust a used diesel with 180k on it with modern emissions? Not hard to spend major $$ chasing emission problems. I mean just the DPF alone with out chasing electrical or anything else is 3k. With how complicated the system is and how common problems are. It's like buying an old Audi or Jag, lol.

I'm not sure this is really the case as much anymore. That use to be how it was. But with emissions, lots of people are scared of higher mileage trucks. I have a buddy who was just shopping for a 2500. He ended up buying a older one because he was scared of emissions. Deleted trucks can be a question mark depending on what was done and if they were abused. Always a concern on if they were running the hottest tune towing, ect. Use to be a high mileage diesel might need injectors, ect. But now it's different. I mean would you trust a used diesel with 180k on it with modern emissions? Not hard to spend major $$ chasing emission problems. I mean just the DPF alone with out chasing electrical or anything else is 3k. With how complicated the system is and how common problems are. It's like buying an old Audi or Jag, lol.
Agreed.

This is why when I shop used I always assume that the truck as exceeded weight in the bed more than once and has exceeded towing with an inexperienced driver stressing the trans and motor.

Last edited:
Im asking for opinions on my specific situation. Ive done my research, but looking for help from people with more knowledge than me on the topic. You responding to me telling me to "use search" does not help me in any way, so get a life and don't comment just to hear your self talk.
LOL you ask for help and do not want to utilize all of the resources available and then to be ugly about being lazy then---good luck to you. For you most likely the gas would be the best option being clueless about oil burners and the associated advantages and disadvantages. Little more to the upkeep on an oil burner which means more $$$$'s on maintenance including DEF. If you do not tow, haul heavy loads or operate in extremely harsh environments regularly then the diesel becomes more of, I just want one vs convincing yourself you need one. If you trade regularly with low miles, then you need to be even more careful about your choice here.

All the good stuff has been eloquently stated, so I'll add this final point.

You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't get the diesel after being gifted the +10k for the Duramax motor!

LOL just a fyi for those looking for a baby Duramax. Went up to Classic to get a fuel filter for my 24 6.6 and was speaking with Mike who is the GM about when the order book opens for the 25 Tahoe for my wife with the new baby Duramax not the old one in the 24 models. He said that that motor has gone on constraint. So, if you are wanting one better look for something on the ground already for the .5 ton baby motor.

Most Member Reactions

Back