Lift or leveling kit VOID warranty!?

Well this doesn’t exactly answer your question but when I was buying my truck I asked the finance guy if I put 35s on if it would void the warranty, he said no it won’t, and he owns one himself so I’m assuming he knows you have to at least level it to fit 35s 🤷‍♂️

GM covers this very clearly on page 340 and 341 -- this is from the 2024 light duty manual.

"
Accessories and Modifications
Adding non-dealer accessories or making
modifications to the vehicle can affect
vehicle performance and safety, including
such things as airbags, braking, stability,
ride and handling, emissions systems,
aerodynamics, durability, Advanced Driver
Assistance Systems, and electronic systems
like antilock brakes, traction control, and
stability control. These accessories or
modifications could even cause malfunction
or damage not covered by the vehicle
warranty.

Caution
When adding accessories or other
equipment after the purchase of your
vehicle, ensure you are not exceeding the
vehicle axle weight ratings or overall
weight ratings. Overloading the vehicle
may cause damage. Repairs would not be
covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not
overload the vehicle. See Vehicle Load
Limits 0 207 and
Trailer Towing 0 309 for those specific
weight ratings.
Damage to suspension components caused
by modifying vehicle height outside of
factory settings will not be covered by the
vehicle warranty.

Damage to vehicle components resulting
from modifications or the installation or use
of non-GM certified parts, including control
module or software modifications, is not
covered under the terms of the vehicle
warranty and may affect remaining
warranty coverage for affected parts.
GM Accessories are designed to complement
and function with other systems on the
vehicle. See your dealer to accessorize the
vehicle using genuine GM Accessories
installed by a dealer technician.
Also, see Adding Equipment to the
Airbag-Equipped Vehicle 0 69.

So basically by doing a lift, it would void suspension warranty

So basically by doing a lift, it would void suspension warranty
That will be something that you will have to work with GM to determine. The Dealer will have to go to GM for approval for a repair of this type. Unfortunately, more and more repair decisions are now requiring GM approvals. So, you can guess what the outcome will be.

I spoke to the Servies center. They told me that if I put a leveling kit, it won’t void the warranty but a lift kit well. Just on the suspension parts, of course.

My dealer will install lift kits and keep the warranty.
They are telling you a lie unless it is a GM product and even then it is not always covered..... If they tell you that go somewhere else. The only way you will keep a "warranty" is if they provide one on their own. That is a stone-cold fact read the GM Warranty and you will find out or better yet send them a letter and you will become enlightened in the ways of a dishonest dealer. Around here people get burned all the time on that old story about being covered because of an independent dealer/store who is NOT GM.

They are telling you a lie unless it is a GM product and even then it is not always covered..... If they tell you that go somewhere else. The only way you will keep a "warranty" is if they provide one on their own. That is a stone-cold fact read the GM Warranty and you will find out or better yet send them a letter and you will become enlightened in the ways of a dishonest dealer. Around here people get burned all the time on that old story about being covered because of an independent dealer/store who is NOT GM.
It’s their P&A shop and their installations carry the GM warranty. So whether the dealer covers it or GM covers it they take care of you. I agree most dealerships are scheisters in big towns but smaller local dealers tend to take care of their customers. YMMV

Reactions: AXE
It’s their P&A shop and their installations carry the GM warranty. So whether the dealer covers it or GM covers it they take care of you. I agree most dealerships are scheisters in big towns but smaller local dealers tend to take care of their customers. YMMV
I am sorry to tell you this, but you are dead wrong. If it is aftermarket meaning non GM parts and it causes a failure of a covered item, you are SOL as far as GM is concerned. GM even states this in writing. If you feel better believing this then good for you but for others do not take this as fact as you will be in for a possible rude and expensive awakening.

This is from the corporate GM site and for the other folks reading this all of the other manufacturers have similar language. It is crystal clear. .

"
AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ALTERATIONS AND WARRANTIES
Installations or alterations to the original GM-equipped vehicle (or chassis) are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers. See dealer or warranty manual for details. "

I am sorry to tell you this, but you are dead wrong. If it is aftermarket meaning non GM parts and it causes a failure of a covered item, you are SOL as far as GM is concerned. GM even states this in writing. If you feel better believing this then good for you but for others do not take this as fact as you will be in for a possible rude and expensive awakening.

This is from the corporate GM site and for the other folks reading this all of the other manufacturers have similar language. It is crystal clear. .

"
AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ALTERATIONS AND WARRANTIES
Installations or alterations to the original GM-equipped vehicle (or chassis) are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers. See dealer or warranty manual for details. "
Seeing as how you always have to have the last word and always be right, you do your business how you want to and I’ll do business with the people who treat me right regardless.

Reactions: AXE
Seeing as how you always have to have the last word and always be right, you do your business how you want to and I’ll do business with the people who treat me right regardless.
You are incorrect sir. You need to do the due diligence. I could go on and tell you specific examples and even post language. Bottom line is you are incorrect and nothing you can say or do will change that. Sorry but facts are facts, and you are a little short on them and even starting to get emotional which is not really a good thing.

You are incorrect sir. You need to do the due diligence. I could go on and tell you specific examples and even post language. Bottom line is you are incorrect and nothing you can say or do will change that. Sorry but facts are facts, and you are a little short on them and even starting to get emotional which is not really a good thing.
Thanks for proving my point. You can’t let it go without the last word and showing everyone that you are always right. As I stated above you do you, I’ll do me and I damn well don’t need your .02.

Generally speaking no. If the parts you install are determined to be the cause of a part failure, you may be denied warranty. If you have a good dealer and service advisor they'll go to bat for you.

I've had modifications and lifts on most of my vehicles from new. Never had warranty issues. That lift isn't going to cause any problems anyway.

I've had my dealer and GM fix stuff for me after warranty. That was years ago now, so cant be sure it would happen today with the current GM model.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back