ZR2 HD BISON TOWING?

Reaction score
Question...with airbags...can a ZR2 HD BISON tow a 18k camper? Yes or No and if no why not? Also....consider down south/east with minimum hills etc..

Reactions: AXE
Question...with airbags...can a ZR2 HD BISON tow a 18k camper? Yes or No and if no why not? Also....consider down south/east with minimum hills etc..
Barely, all the specs are listed on GMs website. There's a lot of information on towing and loadng in the manual.

Fifth wheel, triple axle? Can and should aren't the same.

Me personally, If I know I'm gonna tow more than 15k on a regular basis, then I'd have a 3500 SRW or likely a dually. I've never towed with anything better than my Dad's Ram dually, simply unmatched with heavy loads.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240907_172802_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240907_172802_Chrome.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 17
Barely, all the specs are listed on GMs website. There's a lot of information on towing and loadng in the manual.

Me personally, If I know I'm gonna tow more than 15k on a regular basis, then I'd have a 3500 SRW or likely a dually. I've never towed with anything better than my Dad's Ram dually, simply unmatched with heavy loads.
No triple axle and pulling only 2-3 times a year....

Hey Axe...another question.....tires....if putting Nitto 37×12.5x18 on the bison with maximum 65psi on the tire...is that enough pressure for an 18k fifth wheel? Again, no triple axle and only pulling 2 to 3 times a year max...

I tow close to that amount almost daily with no issues. I did not like the squat of the ZR2 HD compared to my old LTZ 2500 Z71 so i installed Air Bags and love them. I tow this setup below 70-80+ mph very often and sometimes 3-4 hrs drives and it feels safe and stable pulling with no stopping issues. The tractor on the trailer is 120hp and weighs about 10k with the loader and 10ft brush cutter. The trailer weighs about 7k
IMG_1702.jpeg

Last edited:
I tow close to that amount almost daily with no issues. I did not like the squat of the ZR2 HD compared to my old LTZ 2500 Z71 so i installed Air Bags and love them. I tow this setup below 70-80+ mph very often and sometimes 3-4 hrs drives and it feels safe and stable pulling with no stopping issues. The tractor on the trailer is 120hp and weighs about 10k with the loader and 10ft brush cutter. The trailer weighs about 7k
View attachment 15990
Very nice!

Hey Axe...another question.....tires....if putting Nitto 37×12.5x18 on the bison with maximum 65psi on the tire...is that enough pressure for an 18k fifth wheel? Again, no triple axle and only pulling 2 to 3 times a year max...
I would want load range E tires with 10 ply rated for 80 psi for that weight. I also wouldn't want to run 37s, as it just adds more height and lateral stresses on tire sidewall and affects braking. That alone affects the max weight you can safely tow. Your vehicle ratings change with modifications to the truck, they are not static.

I don't really think it matters if you tow 1 time or 100 times. You're right on the ragged edge and when things go bad rolling down the road 70 mph at 27k gross, it's too late to matter. I've seen plenty of campers piled up around here.

I would get a different truck that'll safely tow that big 5er or get a 5er that clocks in closer to 15-16k if you want a modified truck.

This guy did something wrong and it wasnt likely the fact he was driving a Ford. Tow rig was buried in the ditch, so it wasn't visible in photo, but I seen it as i passed. Both units were facing 180 degrees. Truck looked as bad as the camper. I'm guessing both were totaled.

Attachments

• 20201025_155347.jpg
    20201025_155347.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201025_155339.jpg
    20201025_155339.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
View attachment 15990
That trailer isn't loaded correctly. You have too much weight forward of the trailer axles. That's why it's squatting and your pin weight is biased.

That trailer isn't loaded correctly. You have too much weight forward of the trailer axles. That's why it's squatting and your pin weight is biased.
It’s not squatting in the picture I have 2 tractors and when I load both tractors it squats also in the picture it is absolutely loaded correctly I have a ten foot cutter on the back so I load it to have minimal pin weight and the cutter to be fully on the trailer. I have been loading trailers on a farm and towing for about 30 plus years. You can’t tell from a picture especially with airbags pin weight. Also to be clear when i spoke of squatting it was comparing it to my old 2011 2500 HD which did not squat as much with the same exact load and loaded the same exact way apples to apples comparison but to be fare the ZR2 HD rides great compared to the 2011 and that is why i added the air bags.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to add more air to my bags to compensate for the weight of the trailers than my previous rigs. I haven't towed more than about 12k, and even with that weight mine squats plenty without air in the bags. Lighter springs is how they get a softer ride. I can't imagine towing more than 12k without bags. There's no way this thing would safely tow 18+k without bags. Not sure how they determine these ratings, but I don't think they are as accurate as standard models.

View attachment 15990
NICE!!

I would want load range E tires with 10 ply rated for 80 psi for that weight. I also wouldn't want to run 37s, as it just adds more height and lateral stresses on tire sidewall and affects braking. That alone affects the max weight you can safely tow. Your vehicle ratings change with modifications to the truck, they are not static.

I don't really think it matters if you tow 1 time or 100 times. You're right on the ragged edge and when things go bad rolling down the road 70 mph at 27k gross, it's too late to matter. I've seen plenty of campers piled up around here.

I would get a different truck that'll safely tow that big 5er or get a 5er that clocks in closer to 15-16k if you want a modified truck.

This guy did something wrong and it wasnt likely the fact he was driving a Ford. Tow rig was buried in the ditch, so it wasn't visible in photo, but I seen it as i passed. Both units were facing 180 degrees. Truck looked at bad as the camper. I'm guessing both were totaled.

This guy did something wrong and it wasnt likely the fact he was driving a Ford. Tow rig was buried in the ditch, so it wasn't visible in photo, but I seen it as i passed. Both units were facing 180 degrees. Truck looked at bad as the camper. I'm guessing both were totaled.
Dang

View attachment 15990
What brand/size tires are you running?

Yeah, I have to add more air to my bags to compensate for the weight of the trailers than my previous rigs. I haven't towed more than about 12k, and even with that weight mine squats plenty without air in the bags. Lighter springs is how they get a softer ride. I can't imagine towing more than 12k without bags. There's no way this thing would safely tow 18+k without bags. Not sure how they determine these ratings, but I don't think they are as accurate as standard models.
Agreed my 2011 rode like a tank but i never needed bags on it. Without the bags on the ZR2 HD i was not comfortable towing both tractors at the same time and my farm is about 15 miles from home saving me a lot of time from not having to make 2 trips.

Might want to look at that Trail Boss HD video I just posted. It talks about the 3500 tonner towing capabilities up to 21k.

Lol, nope. I mean will it pull it?, sure. But you will be overweight. A 18k 5th wheel is going to have a pin weight of 3k+. Just a FYI my Gas, non bison has a max pin weight of 2,711 with a max payload of 3,333. And you said the trailer is not a triple axle. That's actually worse for pin weight. These trucks are rated for more like a 12k 5th wheel. What is the pin weight on the 18k trailer? I've had lots of trucks and it's next to impossible to actually hit max tow number with out first going over payload ,RGAWR or pin/tongue ratings. Putting airbags on does not increase your trucks ratings.

Lol, nope. I mean will it pull it?, sure. But you will be overweight. A 18k 5th wheel is going to have a pin weight of 3k+. Just a FYI my Gas, non bison has a max pin weight of 2,711 with a max payload of 3,333. And you said the trailer is not a triple axle. That's actually worse for pin weight. These trucks are rated for more like a 12k 5th wheel. What is the pin weight on the 18k trailer? I've had lots of trucks and it's next to impossible to actually hit max tow number with out first going over payload ,RGAWR or pin/tongue ratings. Putting airbags on does not increase your trucks ratings.
Anytime you get a new trailer and a new load, especially if you think you're getting close to max weight, then you should take it through the scales before getting on the road for lengthy trip. I suspect a lot of people would be surprised they break the max load on the rear axle of the truck because they forgot about pin weight, fuel, people, gear, and cargo.

Last edited:
Anytime you get a new trailer and a new load, especially if you think you're getting close to max weight, then you should take it through the scales before getting on the road for lengthy trip. I suspect a lot of people would be surprised they break the max load on the rear axle of the truck because they forgot about pin weight, fuel, people, gear, and cargo.

Yep, 100%. I'm almost at max tongue weight with my little 11,400 GVWR toyhauler when it doesn't have a toy loaded. No where near max payload or RGAWR. That's the deal though it's which ever runs out first. My conventional tow rating is 16k. I would love to see anyone hit that 16k number without being overweight. Personally I want atleast 12% tongue weight. So that alone actually caps conventional towing at 13k for my truck. I even was considering a different trailer but changed my mind because it's GVWR was 13.5k

It's the same with that 18.5k gooseneck rating. To hit that max tow you would have to have a pin weight of no more then 15%. Which is very unlikely. Generally your supposed to assume 20%+. Towing at the bare min tongue or pin weight is actually pretty schetchy at highway speeds.

Most Member Reactions

Back