Adding leafs or airbags?

The current ride really isn't bad at all. Would just be nice to soak up he bumps a bit better. Guess I'll just leave her be for the next 2 years. Doesn't appear that a set of 4600's will really do much either even though it's a cheap option. Loving the truck and getting used to driving it. Almost at 800 miles :D
See that link I posted in the response above.

I've never installed a set of Bilsteins that I didn't think were much better than stock. I think their valving is just better. It's only $400, so not much risk.

See that link I posted in the response above.

I've never installed a set of Bilsteins that I didn't think were much better than stock. I think their valving is just better. It's only $400, so not much risk.
Thanks...not looking for a lift so never looked there. I'll have to give some thought to the 4600s. It is a cheap option, but may not yield any real noticeable results.

Quick follow up to say that I spoke with a tech at air lift yesterday. Really nice, knowledgeable guy.

He said the incompatibility listed on their site was simply that they hadn't had one of the HD at4x or zr2 trucks in their shop yet, which would enable their team to test and write new instructions, etc. etc.

While not "official," he said that removing the axle base plate and adding their universal cradle to take up the resulting space on their 5000 bags is the best path to success on these factory lifted trucks.

Quick follow up to say that I spoke with a tech at air lift yesterday. Really nice, knowledgeable guy.

He said the incompatibility listed on their site was simply that they hadn't had one of the HD at4x or zr2 trucks in their shop yet, which would enable their team to test and write new instructions, etc. etc.

While not "official," he said that removing the axle base plate and adding their universal cradle to take up the resulting space on their 5000 bags is the best path to success on these factory lifted trucks.
Did you tell him I wrote the instructions six months ago and posted them in my install thread?

There's at least 3 people I know on this forum that have been running them.

Not sure why that universal cradle is needed. It would probably take up more space, so the bag woukd actually be offering resistance at the minimum 5 psi, which might affect ride quality unladen. I used the one that shipped with the bags. When the suspension is fully expanded, the bag is not stretched it's still pliable and ride quality is not affected.

Last edited:
Did you tell him I wrote the instructions six months ago and posted them in my install thread?
I did.
There's at least 3 people I know on this forum that have been running them.
(y)
Not sure why that universal cradle is needed. It would probably take up more space, so the bag woukd actually be offering resistance at the minimum 5 psi, which might affect ride quality unladen. I used the one that shipped with the bags. When the suspension is fully expanded, the bag is not stretched it's still pliable and ride quality is not affected.
It was their CYA perspective. Just letting the folks here know what they said. Obviously you have 100% more experience with this than anyone at air lift since they've never laid hands on our trucks!

I did.

(y)

It was their CYA perspective. Just letting the folks here know what they said. Obviously you have 100% more experience with this than anyone at air lift since they've never laid hands on our trucks!
I should consult with them on future projects, but they have to promise to make fittings that don't leak if I'm putting my name on it!

I should consult with them on future projects, but they have to promise to make fittings that don't leak if I'm putting my name on it!
Maybe they should use PEX tubes and fittings?!

Reactions: AXE
Maybe they should use PEX tubes and fittings?!
I don't know what to think. My first two sets never leaked at all and theyve laste 10 years. This set and the set my Dad installed a couple years ago have a minor leak. Nothing serious, but the compressor kicks on every 15 minutes for a few seconds. I can't find the leak. Could be in the pump or the bag seals too.

I don't know what to think. My first two sets never leaked at all and theyve laste 10 years. This set and the set my Dad installed a couple years ago have a minor leak. Nothing serious, but the compressor kicks on every 15 minutes for a few seconds. I can't find the leak. Could be in the pump or the bag seals too.

Pretty good chance it's at the compressor. Their remote compressor let's you inflate and deflate. Probably a check valve and a solenoid at the compressor somewhere. If the compressor is low in the system you get water pooling at any valves. I had a solenoid dump valve on my air tank a few trucks ago. Ended up taking it off cause they would start leaking.

Pretty good chance it's at the compressor. Their remote compressor let's you inflate and deflate. Probably a check valve and a solenoid at the compressor somewhere. If the compressor is low in the system you get water pooling at any valves. I had a solenoid dump valve on my air tank a few trucks ago. Ended up taking it off cause they would start leaking.
I'm gonna give it a another look. I'm about 90% sure it isn't my lines or fittings.

I'm gonna give it a another look. I'm about 90% sure it isn't my lines or fittings.
Any regrets with the onboard air because of the leak? I have them sitting in my Amazon cart right now. I'm leaning towards saving the time and just going with a 18v Milwaukee compressor for as little as I'd be using them

Any regrets with the onboard air because of the leak? I have them sitting in my Amazon cart right now. I'm leaning towards saving the time and just going with a 18v Milwaukee compressor for as little as I'd be using them
I'll never run a tow rig without bags. With the automatic air compressor it is much easier. I'm not sure it is the compressor, but it just kicks on occasionally for 1 second when pressure drops enough. I really haven't had a good look at it, nor have I talked to Super Duty. I'll see how it goes and report of it gets worse.

My first 2500HD did not have a compressor and it worked fine. You don't have the luxury of adjusting the bags on the fly for different road conditions.

I'll never run a tow rig without bags. With the automatic air compressor it is much easier. I'm not sure it is the compressor, but it just kicks on occasionally for 1 second when pressure drops enough. I really haven't had a good look at it, nor have I talked to Super Duty. I'll see how it goes and report of it gets worse.

My first 2500HD did not have a compressor and it worked fine. You don't have the luxury of adjusting the bags on the fly for different road conditions.
Thanks! think I'll add it later. I don't do any long haul stuff anyway

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back