Just Ordered My ZR2 HD Slate Grey August 2nd

OP
ZR2Cajun

ZR2Cajun

Reaction score
I placed an order for a 2024 ZR2 HD in Slate Grey Metallic with a Duramax. Has anyone else here been able to order one yet?
1691311359256.png
1691311464088.png

My 2011 Duramax has DEF i think it was the first year. That being said i still have the truck and will be selling it soon but it has never been in the shop for anything aside for service, the truck has been flawless. The DEF and emmissions are still in place and it's been programmed since day one with a clean tune by duramaxtuner.com and i have zero complaints about this truck. The new truck i ordered has very big shoes to fill.

Not to discorge you, but the emission systems are a pretty big downside. It's actually why I didn't go with a new Duramax last year. It was around 10k to tune and delete a L5P. I also had a 2011 Duramax, but mine was deleted early on. Only cost about 1600 to delete it. 200k and it still runs great. I sold it to a friend. 2010 was the first year of DEF on Silverados.

I've got a buddy who is a diesel tech and manages a fleet of HD trucks. He told me that almost all the problems he deals with are emissions related. His personal truck is deleted, lol.

Reactions: AXE
Not to discorge you, but the emission systems are a pretty big downside. It's actually why I didn't go with a new Duramax last year. It was around 10k to tune and delete a L5P. I also had a 2011 Duramax, but mine was deleted early on. Only cost about 1600 to delete it. 200k and it still runs great. I sold it to a friend. 2010 was the first year of DEF on Silverados.

I've got a buddy who is a diesel tech and manages a fleet of HD trucks. He told me that almost all the problems he deals with are emissions related. His personal truck is deleted, lol.
i currently have a 2011 2500 Duramax that has a clean tune (emmissions in tack) that i bought new and it has never given me trouble so i am hoping to have the same luck with the new one. Also my 2018 ZR2 Colorado has the Duramax bone stock and no issues with it either so far.

i currently have a 2011 2500 Duramax that has a clean tune (emmissions in tack) that i bought new and it has never given me trouble so i am hoping to have the same luck with the new one. Also my 2018 ZR2 Colorado has the Duramax bone stock and no issues with it either so far.
New ones have had plenty of problems too. It's how the industry works now. Build em cheap and fast, sell em at high prices, let the customers do the testing, fix em when you get around to it, drag your feet as much as you can to limit expensive recalls.

2024s only been out a couple months and have major safety recall.

I wonder if they fixed the bad electronics yet or if they are still running same crap they sold us in the ZR2 for 22-23? We'll know soon enough. Yee, haw!

Back to the seats question. My wife drove my truck today and commented that she likes my seats better. I said why and her response is "because you fit down in them better". So I went out for another look and sure enough, the ZR2 seat has slightly taller edges on the seat and back, which does wrap you inprefer it. I suppose it's to keep you in place while in rough terrain. You can see it in the photos.

Not sure I notice it, probably because of our size difference. I do think the HC still feels better, so I prefer it.

Attachments

• 20230813_111611.jpg
    20230813_111611.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230813_111429.jpg
    20230813_111429.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 38
Back to the seats question. My wife drove my truck today and commented that she likes my seats better. I said why and her response is "because you fit down in them better". So I went out for another look and sure enough, the ZR2 seat has slightly taller edges on the seat and back, which does wrap you inprefer it. I suppose it's to keep you in place while in rough terrain. You can see it in the photos.

Not sure I notice it, probably because of our size difference. I do think the HC still feels better, so I prefer it.
I have a farm so I am really more focused on off road and towing capabilities than comfort which is the reason I opted for the ZR2 not the HC. If I want comfort it’s usually in the wife’s Suburban Premier

I have a farm so I am really more focused on off road and towing capabilities than comfort which is the reason I opted for the ZR2 not the HC. If I want comfort it’s usually in the wife’s Suburban Premier
I thought there was a seat difference and I actually prefer the ZR2 seat…so it’s a win / win for me on the off road, towing, and comfort. I hunt a lot out west but live in Missouri…so comfort is a bit more important to me than just around the farm.

6 in one half, dozen in the other. There's no difference until you notice one. I've done 300 mile 5 hour trips with one piss break in both rigs, no complaints. 99.9% of the population couldn't tell.

I can tell 1/4 lb difference in my motorcycle tires........most people don't have a guage to check.

Last edited:
If you tow alot, the standard HD might be a better option. The reason these DSSV Shocks are so plush is they are relatively soft. As soon as you hook up a load, they show their weakness. Sure you can add air bags like any good HD owner does, but that's for leveling not suspension.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of going back to the stock HD is that I can add the Cognito 4 inch lift with Elka shocks that have high and low speed compression adjustments and rezzies designed for offroad use. Having run Elkas on dedicated offroad rigs I can attest to how good they perform. Meanwhile I don't get DSSV soft suspension when towing.

If you tow alot, the standard HD might be a better option. The reason these DSSV Shocks are so plush is they are relatively soft. As soon as you hook up a load, they show their weakness. Sure you can add air bags like any good HD owner does, but that's for leveling not suspension.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of going back to the stock HD is that I can add the Cognito 4 inch lift with Elka shocks that have high and low speed compression adjustments and rezzies designed for offroad use. Having run Elkas on dedicated offroad rigs I can attest to how good they perform. Meanwhile I don't get DSSV soft suspension when towing.

i have a ZR2 Colorado that i have actually been very impressed by it's towing ability. I tow a 25ft center console fishing boat with it. I will be adding air bags to the new 2500 ZR2. What i tow for my farm is too heavy for a 1500 but not that heavy for a 2500 my heaviest tractor is about 11k.

i have a ZR2 Colorado that i have actually been very impressed by it's towing ability. I tow a 25ft center console fishing boat with it. I will be adding air bags to the new 2500 ZR2. What i tow for my farm is too heavy for a 1500 but not that heavy for a 2500 my heaviest tractor is about 11k.
That sounds a bit sketchy, but everyone makes their own decisions. You can get anything rolling, but staying on the road and stopping is critical to your health.

I tow a 22 foot deck boat with my 1500 ZR2 and it isn't anything to brag about.

Last edited:
That sounds a bit sketchy, but everyone makes their own decisions. You can get anything rolling, but staying on the road and stopping is critical to your health.

I tow a 22 foot deck boat with my 1500 ZR2 and it isn't anything to brag about.
My Colorado has the Duramax so it really doesn’t even strain it. The boat weighs about 4300 pounds so it’s still in the towing capacity range

My Colorado has the Duramax so it really doesn’t even strain it. The boat weighs about 4300 pounds so it’s still in the towing capacity range
I guess that's not too heavy. When you said 25 feet I figured closer to 7-8k than 4k. I towed a 17.5 foot Ranger bass boat with my 1997 ZR2 for couple months one summer and thought it was a little sketchy.

I placed an order for a 2024 ZR2 HD in Slate Grey Metallic with a Duramax. Has anyone else here been able to order one yet?
View attachment 6381View attachment 6382
ZR2Cajun, I order a near twin to this truck Aug !, I ordered mine without the sunroof, they may go down the line together. BTW I wasn't aware of the "veteran discount" I'll have to look into it.

ZR2Cajun, I order a near twin to this truck Aug !, I ordered mine without the sunroof, they may go down the line together. BTW I wasn't aware of the "veteran discount" I'll have to look into it.
What was the sticker on yours? Mine before rebates is $90050

View attachment 6381View attachment 6382
Thanks for all the information, been eyeing these since then press release. I was going to talk with a dealer this week about ordering one.
I just wanted to confirm the color in the picture is slate grey not sharkskin grey?

Also, is anyone seeing rebates or offers for these trucks? Not optimistic but doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information, been eyeing these since then press release. I was going to talk with a dealer this week about ordering one.
I just wanted to confirm the color in the picture is slate grey not sharkskin grey?

Also, is anyone seeing rebates or offers for these trucks? Not optimistic but doesn't hurt to ask.
Yes it’s slate grey. I found out that sharkskin is the same as sterling grey mettalic

Yes it’s slate grey. I found out that sharkskin is the same as sterling grey mettalic
Funny thing is that ever since you posted that, I've seen more Sharkskin paint listings than anything else......LMFAO......marketing 101.......baffle them with bullshit

I got a quote the other day on a loaded LTZ Plus 2500HD that stickered for $84k and they said they would do $80.5k which was all the discounts, including -$500 for my wife being a teacher. Said that is the best they could do. I asked for -$6k would do it for -$5k.

I got a quote the other day on a loaded LTZ Plus 2500HD that stickered for $84k and they said they would do $80.5k which was all the discounts, including -$500 for my wife being a teacher. Said that is the best they could do. I asked for -$6k would do it for -$5k.
I mine MSRP is 90050 and I am getting it for 82k they honored my supplier discount from the company I work for and my wife’s Tahoe we ordered is 85k and we getting it for 78k

Most Member Reactions

Back