Just Ordered My ZR2 HD Slate Grey August 2nd

OP
ZR2Cajun

ZR2Cajun

Reaction score
I placed an order for a 2024 ZR2 HD in Slate Grey Metallic with a Duramax. Has anyone else here been able to order one yet?
1691311359256.png
1691311464088.png

On the plus side. It seems the UAW stuff right now is only going to effect the Midsized trucks. From what I understand all the HD ZR2s are built at the Flint plant in Michigan though. So if they don't figure stuff out. It definitely could halt production of the HDs.

On the plus side. It seems the UAW stuff right now is only going to effect the Midsized trucks. From what I understand all the HD ZR2s are built at the Flint plant in Michigan though. So if they don't figure stuff out. It definitely could halt production of the HDs.
I think they amp it up this week. Eventually it'll catch up with all the lines if it lasts more than a few weeks.

Why the big switch to the HD? You guys rather the diesel, heavier suspension for towing? Why the " jump ship" from the ZR2 1500 that's only 2yrs old? Just latest and greatest kind of thing or do you guys normally upgrade every 2 yrs? Just wondering if I'm missing something! 🤔

Why the big switch to the HD? You guys rather the diesel, heavier suspension for towing? Why the " jump ship" from the ZR2 1500 that's only 2yrs old? Just latest and greatest kind of thing or do you guys normally upgrade every 2 yrs? Just wondering if I'm missing something! 🤔
I buy something new every 1 -1.5 years. My ZR2 is vehicle #48 since I turned 16. Get bored fast. It's a disease that's incureable...CARBUYINGITIS. Always looking to try something new and, in this case, bigger! For me, don't tow or haul...just a great big toy and never had a diesel :D With the way the 2500 Diesels retain their value, I won't lose much at all by playing with one for a bit.

I'm getting one cause I need a tow rig. After I bought the 1500, I was planning on keeping my previous HD for towing, but sold it to one of my boys. I plan to keep the 1500 as well cause I really like it. I'll probably part with it down the road. Not sure it makes sense to have more than 1 rig.

1500 is a lot more fun to drive and nimble, so its a better rig for everyday use unless you got something heavy to tow.

I'm getting one cause I need a tow rig. After I bought the 1500, I was planning on keeping my previous HD for towing, but sold it to one of my boys. I plan to keep the 1500 as well cause I really like it. I'll probably part with it down the road. Not sure it makes sense to have more than 1 rig.

1500 is a lot more fun to drive and nimble, so its a better rig for everyday use unless you got something heavy to tow.
I was torn on getting the slate grey in the 1500 or the 2500. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 2500. Figured I could drive that around for a while and if I really didn't like could also down size to the 1500 and not lose much value.

I don't have much to pull but wanted try out a big toy.

You would be surprised how many people constantly trade new vehicles. It surprises me. Heck I've got a buddy who does it. Every year or two he has a different vehicle. It costs him thousands, but he just likes getting/having new vehicles. So he doesn't seem to care. He has bought two new vehicles since I got my ZR2 last year. Both were Tahoes, just different colors and options. He had a 20 or 21 Trailboss when I got my ZR2.

You would be surprised how many people constantly trade new vehicles. It surprises me. Heck I've got a buddy who does it. Every year or two he has a different vehicle. It costs him thousands, but he just likes getting/having new vehicles. So he doesn't seem to care. He has bought two new vehicles since I got my ZR2 last year. Both were Tahoes, just different colors and options. He had a 20 or 21 Trailboss when I got my ZR2.
You can't take it with you so might as well spend it 🍻

Reactions: AXE
You can't take it with you so might as well spend it 🍻
Biden making sure of that!

I've always been a saver and investor. Probably have everything taxed and inflated away when I need it in 6 years. Makes me wonder why I ever saved a nickel.

The UAW is striking cause they have lost all the value in their previous agreement due to inflation! They need another 40%, 20% to get back to even, then 20% so you get 5% year raise.

Meanwhile, gubermint is killing ICE vehicles so EVs can be punched out in ChiNa!

Buy a HD diesel rig now, cause you might not be able to in 10 years. I'm gonna enjoy at least one more. I do keep mine a long time. I figure my HD vehicle costs for personal rigs last 20 years have averaged about $250 +/- month, hardly any maintenance and repair costs. Worth it to me to have a good rig.

Last edited:
Biden making sure of that!

I've always been a saver and investor. Probably have everything taxed and inflated away when I need it in 6 years. Makes me wonder why I ever saved a nickel.

The UAW is striking cause they have lost all the value in their previous agreement due to inflation! They need another 40%, 20% to get back to even, then 20% so you get 5% year raise.

Meanwhile, gubermint is killing ICE vehicles so they can be punched out in ChiNa!

Buy a HD diesel rig now, cause you might not be able to in 10 years. I'm gonna enjoy at least one more. I do keep mine a long time. I figure my vehicle costs for personal rigs last 20 years have averaged about $280-320 month. Worth it to me to have a good rig.
AMEN brother! Just heard from my dealer that the Dark Essentials package and the Interior Convenience Group I opted in on with the all weather mats and gun safe will not be available until January. Really don't care as I can rebadge or debadge and I can buy nicer mats and a nice safe aftermarket. We are rolling now and the deal I got is SUPER SWEET so totally worth doing this now! Who knows, I may like this truck so much that I may keep it for more than a year or two 😂

Here is my updated build:

Reactions: AXE
AMEN brother! Just heard from my dealer that the Dark Essentials package and the Interior Convenience Group I opted in on with the all weather mats and gun safe will not be available until January. Really don't care as I can rebadge or debadge and I can buy nicer mats and a nice safe aftermarket. We are rolling now and the deal I got is SUPER SWEET so totally worth doing this now! Who knows, I may like this truck so much that I may keep it for more than a year or two 😂

Here is my updated build:

The high idle switch is a great option. The only way to idle a diesel is 1200 to 1500 RPM. My Ram / Cummins used to use the cruise control switch for this.

Duramax motors will high idle at start up until they warm up. It's a feature that is more useful for northern states where below freezing temps are likely.

I was told that it's great if you're towing too.
Technically a diesel engine will run for years at 1500 to 2000 RPM. Such is the case with generator plants. Letting a diesel idle at "curb idle" , for extended periods, over 15 minutes just lads to more re - gens. Back when I was around trucks a lot we had 15 minute shut off cycles on the engine. So if you need to let your truck idle for an extended period, just turn on the high idle feature. I'm glad the salesperson had you order this feature. Years ago 2006 & earlier, no one worried about this crap! Now with complex after treatment systems it's a big deal.

Technically a diesel engine will run for years at 1500 to 2000 RPM. Such is the case with generator plants. Letting a diesel idle at "curb idle" , for extended periods, over 15 minutes just lads to more re - gens. Back when I was around trucks a lot we had 15 minute shut off cycles on the engine. So if you need to let your truck idle for an extended period, just turn on the high idle feature. I'm glad the salesperson had you order this feature. Years ago 2006 & earlier, no one worried about this crap! Now with complex after treatment systems it's a big deal.
Thanks Scuba! Can you please explain this whole "regen" thing and what i'll need to be aware of? I don't idle much at all, but I know that "regen" is a thing :)

Thanks Scuba! Can you please explain this whole "regen" thing and what i'll need to be aware of? I don't idle much at all, but I know that "regen" is a thing :)
Basically, diesel engines are designed to smoke. The DPF makes them smokeless. By doing so it traps all the particulate and is cleaned as needed by the DEF being sprayed into it . When the engine is under light loads and idle there is typically more particulate, (soot), to clean up in the DPF. You will likely not even notice a re - gen when the system is functioning correctly. However, there will be a loss in fuel mileage . These exhaust systems get really hot during this process which helps clean the filter also.

These engines are meant to pull hard and tow often, so you may notice some frequent re - gens. It will help not doing aa lot of pro long idling. There is a lot of information online about these systems and how they function.
This is a real brief explanation.

Most Member Reactions

Back