Just Ordered My ZR2 HD Slate Grey August 2nd

OP
ZR2Cajun

ZR2Cajun

Reaction score
I placed an order for a 2024 ZR2 HD in Slate Grey Metallic with a Duramax. Has anyone else here been able to order one yet?
1691311359256.png
1691311464088.png

That's the basically what he was trying to say to me. Seems like a damed ruse to me. They want me to put down a down payment and they can't even tell me what I'm buying or when I can expect it
Yep it's a bit of a pain and dealers typically don't like actually explaining the process. They make out like once the order is accepted your done.

The other likely thing to happen is the dealer gets an allocation for your truck, but that week the tailgate you picked or the sunroof or camera mirror, what ever random option you added could be on constraint from the factory. So one of two things happens. They pass up on your build and put in someone else's further down the list who doesn't have that option. Or the dealer calls you and asks if you are willing to remove said option because it will delay your truck if not. They are more likely to do the first one because more options equal more money. So they don't really want you to remove them. Especially a package that costs thousands.

Reactions: AXE
Yep it's a bit of a pain and dealers typically don't like actually explaining the process. They make out like once the order is accepted your done.

The other likely thing to happen is the dealer gets an allocation for your truck, but that week the tailgate you picked or the sunroof or camera mirror, what ever random option you added could be on constraint from the factory. So one of two things happens. They pass up on your build and put in someone else's further down the list who doesn't have that option. Or the dealer calls you and asks if you are willing to remove said option because it will delay your truck if not. They are more likely to do the first one because more options equal more money. So they don't really want you to remove them. Especially a package that costs thousands.
Yeah the whole thing is causing me to second guess ordering one and even if the HD ZR2 is anything that great for the $. The more I think about it, your just getting the same DSSV suspension as the 1500 ZR2 that is only revalved for a much larger heavy truck. I question the longevity of the suspension. On my previous HDs, I'm changing shocks at 35-40k miles and sometimes they are pretty well shot. It only costs me $400-600 for some Bilstein or Fox 2.0s. On this truck it will cost $4500 and I can't imagine you'll get significantly more miles.

I replaced the magnetic ride suspension on my last Tahoe and it cost me $1600 to do myself. Dealer wanted $2500. If you have traditional suspension or coil over it costs little to maintain.

You sure as hell won't offroad an HD like the 1500. Other than some improved ride quality on road and light terrain, I don't think the HD ZR2 buys you much. It's a tow rig and work horse not an offroad truck.

I could buy a loaded LTZ HD and deck it out for less money. Unless these dealers come around and order process gets some clarity, I may pass. That midnight edition LTZ is starting to look good to me.

Last edited:
So unless they have changed the system, it's really not accepted yet. I went through this when I ordered a AT4. We built it in the sales managers office. He said it was accepted and no issues. 3 months later the truck was still waiting to be built with no ETA. Until the order is "Picked up" by the factory you really haven't done anything yet but get on a waiting list. If anything on your build sheet is on constraint, that order won't get picked up until everything is available and that dealer has an allocation for that specific Model/trim. They can't tell you when that will happen. Could be a week, could be 6 months. Lol. They get allocations every Thursday.
He didn't say anything was on constraint he just said as soon as they get an allocation it will be started. I did notice this morning the AT4X is available to build i did a build to compare the price and the AT4X came in at $99965 vs $90050 for the exact same truck and options. Chevrolet still does not have the customer build option for the ZR2.

He didn't say anything was on constraint he just said as soon as they get an allocation it will be started. I did notice this morning the AT4X is available to build i did a build to compare the price and the AT4X came in at $99965 vs $90050 for the exact same truck and options. Chevrolet still does not have the customer build option for the ZR2.

That's good, what I was saying is when you order nothing can be on constraint, but when the allocation comes up sometimes things are then. Both the AT4 and the ZR2 I ordered last year had that happen. At4 was Tech package and the ZR2 was multiflex tailgate. I ended up buying a ZR2 out of transit that was a different color and no sunroof, because of delays and constraints.

Awesome news from my dealership today “Hey Jonathan, I appreciate you checking in. It was picked up over the weekend and has a "target production week" of 08/28/23. I don't think Tommy has made it back to work since his knee surgery last week. We should have movement in early October. Any changes we will be in touch, thanks” I can’t wait

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0454.jpeg
    IMG_0454.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 31
That's a pretty good turnaround time.
My dealership is jam up this is the 4th vehicle I order from them 2011 Z71 2500 HD Duramax, 2018 Suburban Premier, 2018 Colorado ZR2 Duramax, and now this. They have always been very attentive and had awesome service.

My dealership is jam up this is the 4th vehicle I order from them 2011 Z71 2500 HD Duramax, 2018 Suburban Premier, 2018 Colorado ZR2 Duramax, and now this. They have always been very attentive and had awesome service.
I've spent about a half million with mine in 27 years and $160k in last 6 months and they can't even get a fucking order squared for me. The interesting thing is I bought the last two from their second dealer and I always have used the original dealer. The original dealer still has employees there from my first purchase including my service advisor. Almost like they aren't connected at all.

After
I've spent about a half million with mine in 27 years and $160k in last 6 months and they can't even get a fucking order squared for me. The interesting thing is I bought the last two from their second dealer and I always have used the original dealer. The original dealer still has employees there from my first purchase including my service advisor. Almost like they aren't connected at all

After

mine arrives we are ordering a Suburban Premier Duramax for my wife then I will be close to the same spent as you but in 12 years. Crazy what vehicles are going for
That Suburban with the Duramax would be the ultimate road tripper. Nothing like crusing in one of those.

Doesn't take much anymore. I've looked at a couple loaded dually rigs and they are close to $100k

That Suburban with the Duramax would be the ultimate road tripper. Nothing like crusing in one of those.

Doesn't take much anymore. I've looked at a couple loaded dually rigs and they are close to $100k
In 2011 I payed 46k for a loaded 2500 HD LTZ Z71 and 12 years later almost the same truck is costing me double

If anyone's interested because Chevy & GMC don't have the build and price option out yet for the HD ZR2 and AT4X. You can use the build and price tool through costco at this link here.

In 2011 I payed 46k for a loaded 2500 HD LTZ Z71 and 12 years later almost the same truck is costing me double
Yeah and starting in 2009 they had dpf filters that plugged and by 2012 they had DEF systems that failed and its been downhill ever since. The best Duramax of all time was 2007 Classic. You could tune it, build it, and never break it. The only thing that's gotten better is engine braking. Everthing else is just window dressing.

I see they just issued a recall on 2024 HDs for bad steering components failing potentially causing loss of control and death. Might wanna make sure the parts bin is cleared out by 8/28.

If anyone's interested because Chevy & GMC don't have the build and price option out yet for the HD ZR2 and AT4X. You can use the build and price tool through costco at this link here.

Thank you, I'm gonna check that out. Do you have any in the system coming? Preferably black!

I only have sold orders in the system for HD's right now. 1st one scheduled to be built 08/28. I'd have to place an order for you on an HD. I do have 1500 ZR2's available.

Yeah the whole thing is causing me to second guess ordering one and even if the HD ZR2 is anything that great for the $. The more I think about it, your just getting the same DSSV suspension as the 1500 ZR2 that is only revalved for a much larger heavy truck. I question the longevity of the suspension. On my previous HDs, I'm changing shocks at 35-40k miles and sometimes they are pretty well shot. It only costs me $400-600 for some Bilstein or Fox 2.0s. On this truck it will cost $4500 and I can't imagine you'll get significantly more miles.

I replaced the magnetic ride suspension on my last Tahoe and it cost me $1600 to do myself. Dealer wanted $2500. If you have traditional suspension or coil over it costs little to maintain.

You sure as hell won't offroad an HD like the 1500. Other than some improved ride quality on road and light terrain, I don't think the HD ZR2 buys you much. It's a tow rig and work horse not an offroad truck.

I could buy a loaded LTZ HD and deck it out for less money. Unless these dealers come around and order process gets some clarity, I may pass. That midnight edition LTZ is starting to look good to me.
I’ve been chewing on this as well.

Are the seats the same across LTZ, ZR2, and High Country? Specifically, the amount of padding/bolstering? I’ve got an 05 and 16 and they are both comfortable seats, I have no idea why rock hard seats have become a thing for GM…first world problem I know, but it comes at a first world price.

I’ve been chewing on this as well.

Are the seats the same across LTZ, ZR2, and High Country? Specifically, the amount of padding/bolstering? I’ve got an 05 and 16 and they are both comfortable seats, I have no idea why rock hard seats have become a thing for GM…first world problem I know, but it comes at a first world price.
Man I miss my seats in my 05 Duramax and 02 Tahoe. Ain't been that good since. I didn't mind the 2014-23 seats, but nothing special. 2007-13 Tahoe seats were the worst ever.

Seats in my ZR2 are same as wife's Tahoe High Country. I think the difference is the HC leather is a grade up and feels a little nicer, therefore a little more comfortable. The second and third row seats in Tahoe are decent and better than previous versions.

Yeah and starting in 2009 they had dpf filters that plugged and by 2012 they had DEF systems that failed and its been downhill ever since. The best Duramax of all time was 2007 Classic. You could tune it, build it, and never break it. The only thing that's gotten better is engine braking. Everthing else is just window dressing.

I see they just issued a recall on 2024 HDs for bad steering components failing potentially causing loss of control and death. Might wanna make sure the parts bin is cleared out by 8/28.
My 2011 Duramax has DEF i think it was the first year. That being said i still have the truck and will be selling it soon but it has never been in the shop for anything aside for service, the truck has been flawless. The DEF and emmissions are still in place and it's been programmed since day one with a clean tune by duramaxtuner.com and i have zero complaints about this truck. The new truck i ordered has very big shoes to fill.

I only have sold orders in the system for HD's right now. 1st one scheduled to be built 08/28. I'd have to place an order for you on an HD. I do have 1500 ZR2's available.
Below is the note from my dealer it looks like mine is scheduled to start on August 28th. “Hey Jonathan, I appreciate you checking in. It was picked up over the weekend and has a "target production week" of 08/28/23. We should have movement in early October. Any changes we will be in touch, thanks”. Are you a salesman jfillmore?

Most Member Reactions

Back