Just Ordered My ZR2 HD Slate Grey August 2nd

OP
ZR2Cajun

ZR2Cajun

Reaction score
I placed an order for a 2024 ZR2 HD in Slate Grey Metallic with a Duramax. Has anyone else here been able to order one yet?
1691311359256.png
1691311464088.png

Retail was 86,990 and his price was 81,441. I did add some options, but not the sunroof. Black package, Marker lights, Tech pack, 5th wheel prep, high idle..........
I added or upgraded everything just about. I didn’t want the Bison package because I think it’s a waste for what you get. But everything that delt with convenience and towing was add also a hard tonnue cover and retractable steps

I added or upgraded everything just about. I didn’t want the Bison package because I think it’s a waste for what you get. But everything that delt with convenience and towing was add also a hard tonnue cover and retractable steps
I agree about the Bison pack. Too much money, not enough substance.

Retail was 86,990 and his price was 81,441. I did add some options, but not the sunroof. Black package, Marker lights, Tech pack, 5th wheel prep, high idle..........
That's a better deal at 6.3% off MSRP. I need about 8.3% off to make the third worst deal on a vehicle I've ever made.

That's a better deal at 6.3% off MSRP. I need about 8.3% off to make the third worst deal on a vehicle I've ever made.
Not bad with "bidenomics".

Still thank myself every time prices on these trucks come up. Sticker (at the time) was 73,100 paid 67,934 OTD.

Ill keep it around 8 years. Lets hope the world gets back to sanity by then.

Not bad with "bidenomics".

Still thank myself every time prices on these trucks come up. Sticker (at the time) was 73,100 paid 67,934 OTD.

Ill keep it around 8 years. Lets hope the world gets back to sanity by then.
That similar to my deal It had a tonneau cover and tint to boot. I didn't pay for that either. Mine was a carry over 22, that made a difference.

I generally keep my trucks a while and feel I get the most for my money. The only thing that I like about the 2500 Duramax is they have the been the most reliable and best value that I've owned. I worry about these crappy electronics, but not the rest of the truck.

Last edited:
Got one on order as well. the local dealer actually ordered a 1500 Zr2 w/ 3.0 duramax and a HDZR2 w/ duramax at the same time and gave me the option on what I wanted - same color, same options (sunroof, tech, and multiflex). I added 5th wheel prep on the HD and the msrp was right at $9000 difference between the two, HD obviously being higher. When I thought about it, I felt like I would essentially get an HD Zr2 truck at the same price and paying the L5P / "allison" combo upgrade which I think is a $9500 option on HD's. It was pretty hard to turn down the HD at that point for me given I do a lot of hunting out west, camping, floating, hiking, etc but also run a cattle operation so could use the 2500 payload hauling machinery, hay, and cattle. I read somewhere the 1500 Zr2 w/ 6.2 liter is a touch more than the 2500 zr2 w/ gas motor, i don't see how that's accurate but given the pricing I got from the dealer it may be true. Don't quote me... LOL
That's pretty wild if the 2500 with the 6.6 gas is the same price or just a little over the price of a 1500 with a 6.2. Maybe some of the standard options are different? I know the HD doesn't have a front locker, that can't be the only difference though, if they are priced like that.

Lol, I'm glad I didn't have that choice when I bought mine. I like my 1500 and it really does everything I need. But I came from a HD Duramax. For basically the same price, I would have been very tempted by that new Hd 6.6 gasser.

Reactions: AXE
So after all the back and forth on this thread today, I decided to call my dealer and get some info on my HD ZR2 order. Turns out, the order did not get placed and they had no information. I thought this order would have been placed in early July after giving them the information late June.

So now I have to start over and I'm disillusioned with the whole process. I've never ordered a truck and it seems like a CF. Probably be quicker to wait and buy the first one that shows up now.

I did find these two beauties that should be here soon. I figure a set of Toyo 295s, leveling kit, and some Bilstein 5100s and I'm set. I'm gonna make an offer, but this dealer never deals on their one price model. Probably won't get anywhere with them. But once my dealer finds out, they will be pulling out all the stops to get me one...... seemed to work to my advantage with the ZR2.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230808_230548_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230808_230548_Gallery.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 34
  • SmartSelect_20230808_230514_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230808_230514_Gallery.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 35
So after all the back and forth on this thread today, I decided to call my dealer and get some info on my HD ZR2 order. Turns out, the order did not get placed and they had no information. I thought this order would have been placed in early July after giving them the information late June.

So now I have to start over and I'm disillusioned with the whole process. I've never ordered a truck and it seems like a CF. Probably be quicker to wait and buy the first one that shows up now.

I did find these two beauties that should be here soon. I figure a set of Toyo 295s, leveling kit, and some Bilstein 5100s and I'm set. I'm gonna make an offer, but this dealer never deals on their one price model. Probably won't get anywhere with them. But once my dealer finds out, they will be pulling out all the stops to get me one...... seemed to work to my advantage with the ZR2.
Yeah i always order my trucks because it's actually cheaper due to only paying for what you want vs what's on the truck that the dealership receives. After the build starts it usually takes 6 weeks to finish. My ZR2 Colorado was actually the first one in Louisiana with a Duramax. My dealer was checking daily for the order placement date to be released from Chevrolet for the ZR2 HD to the dealers which was about the 1st of August and my build order was placed on 2nd of August. The crap part is now the dealer has to have an allocation for a similar truck from Chevrolet before the build can start which the dealer has not gotten yet so i don't have a clue when my build will start.

That's pretty wild if the 2500 with the 6.6 gas is the same price or just a little over the price of a 1500 with a 6.2. Maybe some of the standard options are different? I know the HD doesn't have a front locker, that can't be the only difference though, if they are priced like that.

Lol, I'm glad I didn't have that choice when I bought mine. I like my 1500 and it really does everything I need. But I came from a HD Duramax. For basically the same price, I would have been very tempted by that new Hd 6.6 gasser.
Does the 6.6 gas have lifter issues too or no?

Does the 6.6 gas have lifter issues too or no?
The 2500s don't have DFM. So I would guess it's not a issue. The 6.6 gas is new though. So to early to know if it has any common issues. 36 gallon tank, no DFM, 401hp and 465tq, much higher capacity. For around the same money I would have had a hard decision. Downside with a HD is they are heavy. So they get stuck easy and of course they ride and drive like a heavy truck.

Not sure about cheaper when ordering. If they are sitting on the lot for any length of time, the dealer will likely negotiate.

I'm used to naming my price on anything sitting on a lot around here. It's a very competitive market with numerous dealers including the largest Chevy truck sales dealer in the west.

The first time I've ever bought anything for less than 15% off MSRP was this current ZR2 and Tahoe. It took me a while, but I finally got some discounts of 8 to 10%, which ain't much. I still dont have pricing on ZR2 HD. Just the word of the manager......."we'll take care of you!"

I don't think these low volume HD ZR2s will sell for much of a deal. I wonder how many were ordered. The LTZ and High Country models are stacking up and there's plenty in transit. There will be deals to be had in the fall.

The 2500s don't have DFM. So I would guess it's not a issue. The 6.6 gas is new though. So to early to know if it has any common issues. 36 gallon tank, no DFM, 401hp and 465tq, much higher capacity. For around the same money I would have had a hard decision. Downside with a HD is they are heavy. So they get stuck easy and of course they ride and drive like a heavy truck.
My buddy bought a loaded 24 gasser HD a few months ago. He said he really likes it. He didn't like his previous diesel as much. He doesn't do much towing, just a daily driver. He usually only keeps vehicles two years or less, so not sure he had any concerns about longevity.

Biggest difference with HDs is they are longer and turning radius is not great. You'll notice that when you park. I can whip into any spot with the ZR2, but would pass or back in in my HD. The ride is stiffer, so much better for towing, but not as smooth as a daily driver.

So my salesman got back to me and said they are waiting for approval on the order from GM. Then he told me his manager said the ZR2 builds are listed as "in constraint" meaning nothing is getting built with that package right now. So no way to estimate build date.

GMs press release did say they'd start building them in August, but maybe they meant the 31st. I tried building one on GMs website, but it said contact dealer. Not sure what's so magical about putting four new shocks and some different bodywork on a truck, but I guess GM thinks so.

So my salesman got back to me and said they are waiting for approval on the order from GM. Then he told me his manager said the ZR2 builds are listed as "in constraint" meaning nothing is getting built with that package right now. So no way to estimate build date.

GMs press release did say they'd start building them in August, but maybe they meant the 31st. I tried building one on GMs website, but it said contact dealer. Not sure what's so magical about putting four new shocks and some different bodywork on a truck, but I guess GM thinks so.
My dealer showed me his screen as we built mine and the build was accepted, I also paid the deposit he showed me where they need an allocation for a similar truck from GM. So as soon as they get an allocation for a LTZ or Higher with a Duramax the build will start and then 6 weeks later I should have my truck. I was also able to find the build number on GM and sign up for live updates on build status.

I can't get shit from my dealer! I called him back for clarification and the only thing he could tell me is they said it will likely be $5k over msrp for "special trucks". I laughed and said you must not remember how this went the last two times 6 months ago. I have bought almost all my vehicles and did all my service with this dealer for 27 years. They still have to be reminded how simple business is when you make it simple.

I won't pay $5k under msrp and they damn well know it. There are at least 15 Chevy/GMC dealers in 50 miles of me, maybe another dealer makes deals on "special trucks". Only trucks I've had that were "special" required about $10-15k after I took delivery.

Last edited:
My dealer showed me his screen as we built mine and the build was accepted, I also paid the deposit he showed me where they need an allocation for a similar truck from GM. So as soon as they get an allocation for a LTZ or Higher with a Duramax the build will start and then 6 weeks later I should have my truck. I was also able to find the build number on GM and sign up for live updates on build status.
So unless they have changed the system, it's really not accepted yet. I went through this when I ordered a AT4. We built it in the sales managers office. He said it was accepted and no issues. 3 months later the truck was still waiting to be built with no ETA. Until the order is "Picked up" by the factory you really haven't done anything yet but get on a waiting list. If anything on your build sheet is on constraint, that order won't get picked up until everything is available and that dealer has an allocation for that specific Model/trim. They can't tell you when that will happen. Could be a week, could be 6 months. Lol. They get allocations every Thursday.

So unless they have changed the system, it's really not accepted yet. I went through this when I ordered a AT4. We built it in the sales managers office. He said it was accepted and no issues. 3 months later the truck was still waiting to be built with no ETA. Until the order is "Picked up" by the factory you really haven't done anything yet but get on a waiting list. If anything on your build sheet is on constraint, that order won't get picked up until everything is available and that dealer has an allocation for that specific Model/trim. They can't tell you when that will happen. Could be a week, could be 6 months. Lol. They get allocations every Thursday.
That's the basically what he was trying to say to me. Seems like a damned ruse to me. They want me to put down a down payment and they can't even tell me what I'm buying or when I can expect it

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back