The Tick

I've said this in another post, if you do an extended drain or leave it overnight, your gonna have to add at least another 1 quart of oil to get it to the top of dipstick. My last one drained for about 4 hours and it took about +1.5 quarts. I guess the lones and pump will conti ue to drain very sloooowly. So figure closer to three gallons.
I'd be so curious what the the GM engineers would say about "oil capacity" at 8 quarts... vs what you say in terms of needing to add even more!

I'd be so curious what the the GM engineers would say about "oil capacity" at 8 quarts... vs what you say in terms of needing to add even more!
There are 8 quarts or 2 gallons in a 5.3L and 6.2L motor. 10 quarts or 2.5 gallons in a Duramax. You can run 10 quarts after a long drain, but if you pull the dipstick, you'll never know if there's oil in it, cause it doesn't register.

They spec the oil capacity with a filter change under typical drain intervals of just a few minutes of drain time, which leaves residual oil in the motor and lines. I am guessing that when they fill it at the factory, it gets 3 gallons.

Cummins and Powerstroke take 12 quarts, so 3 gallons is drained.

I have the same issue with my 1500 ZR2. Adding 8 quarts only gets me to the bottom of the dipstick. Another 1/2 quart gets me to the top. I thought it was using oil, but now realize it's not registering right. My wife's Tahoe 6.2L registers fine with 8 quarts.

There are 8 quarts or 2 gallons in a 5.3L and 6.2L motor. 10 quarts or 2.5 gallons in a Duramax. You can run 10 quarts after a long drain, but if you pull the dipstick, you'll never know if there's oil in it, cause it doesn't register.

They spec the oil capacity with a filter change under typical drain intervals of just a few minutes of drain time, which leaves residual oil in the motor and lines. I am guessing that when they fill it at the factory, it gets 3 gallons.

Cummins and Powerstroke take 12 quarts, so 3 gallons is drained.

I have the same issue with my 1500 ZR2. Adding 8 quarts only gets me to the bottom of the dipstick. Another 1/2 quart gets me to the top. I thought it was using oil, but now realize it's not registering right. My wife's Tahoe 6.2L registers fine with 8 quarts.
Nice write up.
I do know my online manual says 8 qts. I dont trust those things and look up motor specs. Just like the oil filter. To many cut and paste update errors.

“The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD pickup with a 6.6 liter Duramax LP5 engine has an oil capacity of 10 quarts, including the filter.”

My 2500 HD ZR2 also has a pretty noticeable tick at idle. I've got 1,000 miles on the truck and recently noticed the ticking. Not sure what it is or if I should be concerned. I'm headed to the dealer for the first oil Service. I'll inquire about the ticking and report back.

Nice write up.
I do know my online manual says 8 qts. I dont trust those things and look up motor specs. Just like the oil filter. To many cut and paste update errors.

“The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD pickup with a 6.6 liter Duramax LP5 engine has an oil capacity of 10 quarts, including the filter.”
That's exactly why the wrong filter is being installed. The dealer computers even say PF26. My factory PF63 filter on my Duramax had a white label added to it that said "Replace with PF63". I am sure so the lube tech wouldn't add the PF26 like the manual and their computer data says. Lots have people have posted on other forums about getting the wrong filter installed at the dealer.

Last edited:
Anyone know what oil came in our trucks from the factory?

Yall going to full synthetic on first change?
It didn't seem like anything special. It seemed like conventional 15W40. I did my first oil change with conventional 15W40. I'm on my second change with synthetic 15W40.

I'm not sure it matters much, but some people say you shouldn't go to synthetic right away to assist in break in. I think at 5000 ish miles it won't matter, just use a good oil like Mobil 1, Mobil Delvac, Rotella, or Chevron Delo.

Yeah, have run Delvac 1 in my previous diesels (5.9 Cummins and 6.7 Powerstroke) and plan to do the same in this one. Was debating synthetic at first oil change vs second, but prob wait til second.

Yeah, have run Delvac 1 in my previous diesels (5.9 Cummins and 6.7 Powerstroke) and plan to do the same in this one. Was debating synthetic at first oil change vs second, but prob wait til second.
I see Mobil Delvac has a newer synthetic now. Several years ago I switched to Rotella T6, cause it was always hard to find the Mobil 1 Synthetic around me. I was thinking about switching back, cause I always have run Mobil oils. It is actually the least expensive premium oil at Walmart and comes in 2.5 gallon jug.

Be forewarned that it's damn near impossible to pour a 2.5 gallon jug into this rig because the fill tube is on the firewall and the hood and water drain is in the way. I transferred using a 2 quart jug.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back