6.2 Lifter Failure Poll

Have you experienced the dreaded 6.2 lifter failure?

• Yes - Dreaded Failure Lottery Won

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • No - Lifter Bullet Dodged So Far

Votes: 105 89.0%

• Total voters
It doesn't even have a engine oil dipstick, lol. Not kidding look it up. Only has a oil level sensor.
As much as that would piss me off, I’d bet 95+% of folks these days don’t ever check theirs, and less & less folks even know how!

Most of my buddies that are mechanically inclined don’t even do their own maintenance, etc. I hear the same old thing, it only costs blah blah, and it would cost me that for the stuff to do it…

For me, I enjoy it, and it gives me a good chance to look things over underneath while waiting for the oil to drain, etc. It’s also satisfying driving it afterwards and knowing it was done absolutely right, etc.

As much as that would piss me off, I’d bet 95+% of folks these days don’t ever check theirs, and less & less folks even know how!

Most of my buddies that are mechanically inclined don’t even do their own maintenance, etc. I hear the same old thing, it only costs blah blah, and it would cost me that for the stuff to do it…

For me, I enjoy it, and it gives me a good chance to look things over underneath while waiting for the oil to drain, etc. It’s also satisfying driving it afterwards and knowing it was done absolutely right, etc.
I’m right there with you.

What I’ll add though is, I can recognize when I’m in over my head. Been shade tree wrenching since the late 80s and there’s not much mechanical I won’t tackle unless I don’t have the tools, but these days with all the fancy computers and bus systems… count me out.

Although they’re still out there, it’s not like back in the day where you can just go grab a Chilton or Haynes manual and get some bloody knuckles. Feels like the first step in everything is “plug in diag tool to the OBD port and let this already broke silicon tell you what’s wrong.”

An oil level sensor in addition to a dipstick is fine. But, a engine needs a dipstick. I feel the same way about transmissions. You need to actually be able to see and smell it. Just knowing it's full or not, often isn't good enough. Not to mention. I'm sure if that sensor fails. You are probably stranded. Even if the truck will still go. You wouldn't, If the level indicator tells you your critically low on oil. You have no way of confirming or denying that. 🤷‍♂️ Or worse people end up way over filling the engine because of a bad or just inaccurate sensor. Heck I had my diesel put me into limb mode hours from home with my camper behind me. Just because the DEF level sensor failed.

An oil level sensor in addition to a dipstick is fine. But, a engine needs a dipstick. I feel the same way about transmissions. You need to actually be able to see and smell it. Just knowing it's full or not, often isn't good enough.

Reminds me of the real old school krusty ass mechanics I learned from back in the day when they checked the oil and would say “that fkrs done burned up, tastes like gasket candy.”

IMG_1771.gif

lol, But a head gasket letting go is exactly one of those cases where you need more then a oil level indicator. I guess there isn't any chance of that happening in a v6 dual turbo engine in a full sized truck pulling loads though :ROFLMAO:

Nothing better than a good oil change to soothe your soul!

Taking one of mine (2022) in on Friday. The problem sounds like some of the lifter issues I’ve heard about.

Randomly the Check Engine light will come on, along with “Service ESC,” “Service Traction Control,” and “Forward Collision Unavailable” messages come up, and idle is really rough. And feels like it doesn’t have the power it should. 12k miles.

Will update with the verdict.

Taking one of mine (2022) in on Friday. The problem sounds like some of the lifter issues I’ve heard about.

Randomly the Check Engine light will come on, along with “Service ESC,” “Service Traction Control,” and “Forward Collision Unavailable” messages come up, and idle is really rough. And feels like it doesn’t have the power it should. 12k miles.

If the lifter fails usually you can hear the banging off the pushrod 50 feet away 😀

sux..good luck

Most Member Reactions

Back