Tire rub with stock tires

Leon L

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2024 Gas HD with less than 2K miles on it. I just discovered that when the tires are turned hard right and I back up, the left front tire (driver side) rubs the inner front fender well. The right one is close as well but doesn't rub. I would have thought this should not be an issue since it supposedly can clear tire cables if needed.
Anyone have any ideas why? I know when I take it in for its first service I will mention this. Thanks.

Attachments

• Tire rub.jpg
    Tire rub.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 57
Mine had tons of clearance and when I test fit a 37 inch Toyo MT it still had clearance. Others are running 37s and say no problem.

I would park it on hard smooth surface level ground and measure from wheel well to ground on each corner. It may be that you're sitting too low on that corner.

I raised my front a little bit by cranking the torsion bars. I've got a post about it with measurements. You might need to to the same to get it squared and raised.

Mine had tons of clearance and when I test fit a 37 inch Toyo MT it still had clearance. Others are running 37s and say no problem.

I would park it on hard smooth surface level ground and measure from wheel well to ground on each corner. It may be that you're sitting too low on that corner.

I raised my front a little bit by cranking the torsion bars. I've got a post about it with measurements. You might need to to the same to get it squared and raised.
always good info AXE.

Thanks AXE, I search for your video and do that. But wouldn't it still rub if it was flexed and turned?

Reactions: AXE
Thanks AXE, I search for your video and do that. But wouldn't it still rub if it was flexed and turned?
I don't know for sure, but something doesn't seem right. These wheel wells have a lot of clearance. Probably the largest I've seen on a Chevrolet. If you just check those measurements to see if they are same on the fronts and same on the rears it'll help you determine if that's the problem.

You could have a bumper or quarter panel out of alignment. Also there are support sub frames behind the wheel well cover something could have been misplaced and is pushing the liner out too far.

My rear bumper was very crooked on the passenger side. Many are like that.

I would plan on a trip to the dealer too. At least get it documented.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2024 Gas HD with less than 2K miles on it. I just discovered that when the tires are turned hard right and I back up, the left front tire (driver side) rubs the inner front fender well. The right one is close as well but doesn't rub. I would have thought this should not be an issue since it supposedly can clear tire cables if needed.
Anyone have any ideas why? I know when I take it in for its first service I will mention this. Thanks.
Hey Leon, first time here but I just got mine two days ago and have the same exact issue. No room with rear turn hard right on left side and about a quarter inch rear turn hard left on right side. Did you get any resolution or info from anyone?

Hey Leon, first time here but I just got mine two days ago and have the same exact issue. No room with rear turn hard right on left side and about a quarter inch rear turn hard left on right side. Did you get any resolution or info from anyone?
Take it into dealer. There's something not mounted right on the IFS or your body mounts are off. Should be a lot of clearance.

Thanks AXE for the suggestion. Going in on Monday.
Also there are some subframe components behind the liner. You may want to pull the liner and see if there is something loose or mounted crooked which is pushing the liner forward. I didn't mess with the 2500HD much, but there's a lot going on behind the 1500 liners.

There is a limited amount of extra "clearance" on the 2500's especially with aftermarket tires (35x12.50-18 BFG HD Terrain in my case) with small lugs on the side protruding. Mine has bumped Just Barely a couple of times in almost 20k when the suspension went into compression with the wheels turned all the way to the left going down a steep grade when the bottom of the creek crossing is reached still while turning left.

To use an "eyeball fit" at the tire store is not a reliable way to judge if tires will foul during suspension travel and articulation. Now if the factory tires are rubbing/fouling then a trip to the dealer is in order.

Hello RedR2, been off grid for the past week. I took mine back to the dealer and they said some mounts for the liner appeared to have been bent and tried to imply that perhaps I had hit something. They did "straighten/repair" whatever needed to be under warrantee. The clearance is still pretty close, I don't think 37" would fit, but at least it doesn't rub any more.

Hello RedR2, been off grid for the past week. I took mine back to the dealer and they said some mounts for the liner appeared to have been bent and tried to imply that perhaps I had hit something. They did "straighten/repair" whatever needed to be under warrantee. The clearance is still pretty close, I don't think 37" would fit, but at least it doesn't rub any more.
Glad it's fixed, but that's bullshit that they blamed it on you. There is variability in the 1500 wheel well clearances too. Seems like some people have issues, but most don't.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back