The Tick

zrteton

Reaction score
2700mi now, had a great weekend towing a bud's camper with tons of fun riding dirt bikes up to 10k feet in Idaho.

When this truck idles, it has a pretty constant tick. Is anyone else experiencing this on the 24 L5P? Should I be worried? It doesn't sound great.

2700mi now, had a great weekend towing a bud's camper with tons of fun riding dirt bikes up to 10k feet in Idaho.

When this truck idles, it has a pretty constant tick. Is anyone else experiencing this on the 24 L5P? Should I be worried? It doesn't sound great.
Id be worried. Unless its the rhythmic tick of the high pressure fuel pump. I wouldn't chance it if in doubt. Straight to dealer. 😆

Thanks guys. It just seemed especially pronounced in this truck. There may be lots of factors as to why, but I feel better knowing you are all experiencing this as well.

Thanks guys. It just seemed especially pronounced in this truck. There may be lots of factors as to why, but I feel better knowing you are all experiencing this as well.
Unrelated but now with 2700 miles have you changed oil? Most LP5 guys are making first change around 1500 to 2000. Just did mine at 1700 to get break in gunk out of there.😀

Unrelated but now with 2700 miles have you changed oil? Most LP5 guys are making first change around 1500 to 2000. Just did mine at 1700 to get break in gunk out of there.😀
I talked with my dealer. They and the manual say to change it at 5k mi, so I'm gonna do that.

Mine doesn't tick. I can barely hear it running. I had a guy walk up to me and ask me if it was a diesel. I said yes and he said it doesn't sound like one. He was driving an LML.

My manual said to change it twice before 5000 miles, so I did it at 1000 and 4000 miles. Probably why it's so quiet.

Since your from Wyoming and the wind blows like Kamala there, I am curious if you hear strange howling/humming noises on the drivers side window when driving in heavy crosswinds coming over the top of the truck from passenger side?

I've been running mine in Dakota and it's very quiet running down the road 80 mph. I noticed that noise coming in 35-50 mph crosswinds. Folding mirrors in didn't help, so it's something with wind coming over top of cab.

Since your from Wyoming and the wind blows like Kamala there, I am curious if you hear strange howling/humming noises on the drivers side window when driving in heavy crosswinds coming over the top of the truck from passenger side?

I've been running mine in Dakota and it's very quiet running down the road 80 mph. I noticed that noise coming in 35-50 mph crosswinds. Folding mirrors in didn't help, so it's something with wind coming over top of cab.
Yes, at certain crosswind angles it's loud. I think it's from both the door seal and the roof.

Mine doesn't tick. I can barely hear it running. I had a guy walk up to me and ask me if it was a diesel. I said yes and he said it doesn't sound like one. He was driving an LML.

My manual said to change it twice before 5000 miles, so I did it at 1000 and 4000 miles. Probably why it's so quiet.
I have read that not all do it… interesting and makes me wonder why…

On the oil change interval, where in the manual does it say that? Serious question! Or do you mean “your” manual? I plan to change mine soon myself (~2000-2500 miles), but never saw anything like that in any of the Chevy manuals.

Ironically, the stock (very thin) manual and the special diesel supplement say nothing about the oil change intervals for mileage/hours. The new world is to follow the oil life remaining number. Sad times.

"My manual" is my approach to maintenance intervals, which are usually much more frequent than any manual requires. I learned that from my ol man and gramps.

I have changed so much oil and broke in enough motors to know what the oil looks like. It's much harder to visualize on a diesel cause the oil is so full of soot, but you can feel it just the same. Break in oil is nasty by 1000 to 1500 miles or a lot less on high revving motors like motorcycles which should be done much sooner, say 1-2 hours.

Break in happens early and fast. Wear in happens slowly and much longer. The break in oil loses its effectiveness sooner cause it's carrying a lot of material. The oil can no longer lubricate as well cause it won't fit into the tight tolerances and loses its "slipperieness".

I've broken in 5 motors in the last 18 months, 3 rigs and two dirt bikes. I couldn't believe how dirty they get. The gassers will have oil that looks grayish green and you can see the silver metal particles that won't filter. I can't imagine running that oil any longer. I have pictures posted of the filters on my 1500 6.2s. I'm now breaking in a Bobcat skid steer and a mini x. They'll get the same early changes.

Are you ever gonna be able to tell? Probably not unless you tore down the motor. I just believe it's better if your gonna run them for 10-15 years. Why would you run dirty ineffective oil in a $20K motor.

Last edited:
"My manual" is my approach to maintenance intervals, which are usually much more frequent than any manual requires. I learned that from my ol man and gramps.

I have changed so much oil and broke in enough motors to know what the oil looks like. It's much harder to visualize on a diesel cause the oil is so full of soot, but you can feel it just the same. Break in oil is nasty by 1000 to 1500 miles or a lot less on high revving motors like motorcycles which should be done much sooner, say 1-2 hours.

Break in happens early and fast. Wear in happens slowly and much longer. The break in oil loses its effectiveness sooner cause it's carrying a lot of material. The oil can no longer lubricate as well cause it won't fit into the tight tolerances and loses its "slipperieness".

I've broken in 5 motors in the last 18 months, 3 rigs and two dirt bikes. I couldn't believe how dirty they get. The gassers will have oil that looks grayish green and you can see the sil er metal particles that won't filter. I can't imagine running that oil any longer. I have pictures posted of the filters on my 1500 6.2s. I'm now breaking in a Bobcat skid steer and a mini x. They'll get the same early changes.

Are you ever gonna be able to tell? Probably not unless you tore down the motor. I just believe it's better if your gonna run them for 10-15 years. Why would you run dirty ineffective oil in a $20K motor.
On my 2016 Camaro 2SS, I changed the 10 quarts of oil at 500 miles. Was not taking any chances.

I've broken in 5 motors in the last 18 months, 3 rigs and two dirt bikes. I couldn't believe how dirty they get. The gassers will have oil that looks grayish green and you can see the sil er metal particles that won't filter. I can't imagine running that oil any longer. I have pictures posted of the filters on my 1500 6.2s. I'm now breaking in a Bobcat skid steer and a mini x. They'll get the same early changes.

Well said. My dad was a dip stick man. Knew if he ran hard that oil change come sooner, but evert 3 or 4 thousand miles he could see it was time to change. Long before Jiffy Libe Back in the day it was standard to have full service pumps and they always check oil. Not just the lvl but color and feel. The dealer just wants to get you past
Warranty. Good habits and proper maintenance will show results when over 100k headed to 300, 400k miles on the same blocks that have a 200k, “expectation”. Oil is the life breath of the engine. 😀 Also when people talk about how hard they drive when new and motor to full load before 500 miles, its not about the motor, its about the differential wear seating and transmission. Manuals change every year. The 2023 GMC 6.6 LP5 used to say change break in oil before heavy towing. 😆

Last edited:
Yes, at certain crosswind angles it's loud. I think it's from both the door seal and the roof.
Probably not much that can be done. I do feel like the truck is otherwise very quiet rolling down the road. Had about 3 days of strong winds and that was the only time I've noticed it and only on drivers side (maybe cause my ear is right next to the window).

I did mine at about 900 miles. easiest oil change ever. You can No Shit fit a 5 gallon bucket under it to drain it. 20 minutes in the driveway. 90 dollars in materials

Last edited:
I did mine at about 900 miles. easiest oil change ever. You can No Shit fit a 5 gallon bucket under it to drain it. 20 minutes in the driveway. 90 dollars in materials
Yep the other thing is the drain plug has a nice cant on it, so it drains clean too. Also the oil filter is easy to reach and it drains clean. The previous ones woukd drain on the torsion bar and motor mount.

I've said this in another post, if you do an extended drain or leave it overnight, your gonna have to add at least another 1 quart of oil to get it to the top of dipstick. My last one drained for about 4 hours and it took about +1.5 quarts. I guess the lines and pump will continue to drain very sloooowly. So figure closer to three gallons.

Also make sure you use an AC Delco PF63 filter. The manual and some motors were shipped with PF26 filters which have fewer flow holes in the base, so they don't flow as well at start up.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back