🛠️ Member Build equal length true dual exhaust project

This prefix only appears in the Member Builds section.

Almurr

Reaction score
hey guys

wanted to share a summer project im currently working on.

After hearing the new escalade V I was wondering why it sounded so different, with a little research I found out why it sounded so different, its set up as an equal length true dual exhaust with an x pipe and 2 mufflers in the back.

Figured I might be trying this out on my truck although we are limited with space constraints because of the transfer case location and being the nature of our trucks made for off-road use Ill have to make sure my clearances are good and wont have problems during off-road use.

I managed to find the equalizer part number from the escalade and purchased it, here's an image of the part and a photo of somebody's tweet on X talking about the Cadillac exhaust pipes:

1719697136905.png
1719697205136.png

although I'm very limited with options on which mufflers to use with my truck since i want to achieve a drone free experience and still want to have the luxury of driving without tearing my head off during extended highway driving on trips, if you guys have any ideas to share on which mufflers would be best to use for my project would appreciate it if you shared!

ill keep photos posted as I progress with the project

If you’re looking for the exact sound as the Cadillac, you might want to figure out how to use the same mufflers the Cadillac utilizes.
i was thinking the same, but after seeing the mufflers physically, they would be really hard to fit where the tail pips sit between the leaf springs and the spare tire, i did consider mounting them vertically but even that would be challenging.

unless i mount them vertically stacked together right after the X pip under the cab?

Skip the mufflers and just get equal length pipes after the cross over. You can decide if you need mufflers later. Then if you want them, get a short pass through muffler like the Magnaflow or another round cylinder style muffler to work with limited space.

Last edited:
Following!
Very interesting. I would suspect that the reason it sounds so good is the combination of the equal length tubes and mostly the mufflers. The mufflers have an actuator on them so its probably like the NPP (dual mode exhaust) on the Camaros and Corvettes. The dual mode exhaust on the 23 Camaro SS I had sounded amazing for being factory. The one on my 2009 Z06 sounded good but was a little quiet so I ended up changing it, lol.
I have never been a fan of the V8 into a single pipe, it just feels wrong.

hey guys

wanted to share a summer project im currently working on.

After hearing the new escalade V I was wondering why it sounded so different, with a little research I found out why it sounded so different, its set up as an equal length true dual exhaust with an x pipe and 2 mufflers in the back.

Figured I might be trying this out on my truck although we are limited with space constraints because of the transfer case location and being the nature of our trucks made for off-road use Ill have to make sure my clearances are good and wont have problems during off-road use.

I managed to find the equalizer part number from the escalade and purchased it, here's an image of the part and a photo of somebody's tweet on X talking about the Cadillac exhaust pipes:

View attachment 14089View attachment 14090

although I'm very limited with options on which mufflers to use with my truck since i want to achieve a drone free experience and still want to have the luxury of driving without tearing my head off during extended highway driving on trips, if you guys have any ideas to share on which mufflers would be best to use for my project would appreciate it if you shared!

ill keep photos posted as I progress with the project
great idea....keep us up to date.

Probably not based on performance tests I've seen unless you add in full length headers.
For me it would be more of a satisfaction gain. :cool:
Thanks. I hear ya on the full system too. My ZR2 has the factory Borla muffler and it sounds fantastic. Perhaps just going with a Muffler change would satisfy your desire for better sound and save lots of time/$$$. There are quite a few videos of ZR2's with the Borla option on them.

This one has multiple sound passes to hear:

Dave

The best I heard this exhaust sound was when I cut my stock exhaust out ahead of the flapper. The 6.2 made a nice throaty growl, but it was a little pitchy at startup. Sounds great without getting castrated by a can. Straight pipe or no pipe, for $100 you can test it out and then go from there.

I've got some sound clips in this thread without a can. Listen to them with good speaker with bass or don't bother. A good speaker with some bass matches the actual sound pretty well.

Post in thread 'Magnaflow 19543 Exhaust Installed' https://www.chevyzr2.com/threads/magnaflow-19543-exhaust-installed.1238/post-16414

Post in thread 'Magnaflow 19543 Exhaust Installed' https://www.chevyzr2.com/threads/magnaflow-19543-exhaust-installed.1238/post-16697

Last edited:
Thanks. I hear ya on the full system too. My ZR2 has the factory Borla muffler and it sounds fantastic. Perhaps just going with a Muffler change would satisfy your desire for better sound and save lots of time/$$$. There are quite a few videos of ZR2's with the Borla option on them.

This one has multiple sound passes to hear:

Dave
That video is what got me interested in the AWE exhaust. Plus it looks like this:
1719784818542.jpeg

I was thinking I could modify this to be equal length an not have to worry about where to put those Escalade-V mufflers but wouldn't have dual mode.

Most Member Reactions

Back