Range Technology Beta Testing

There's enough evidence at this point that deactivating the DFM isn't going to lower the fuel economy noticeably, it may even increase it.

So that begs the question, if this is the case WTF are the manufacturers doing it for? I thought it was for economy, could it improve emissions even if it doesn't save gas?

There's enough evidence at this point that deactivating the DFM isn't going to lower the fuel economy noticeably, it may even increase it.

So that begs the question, if this is the case WTF are the manufacturers doing it for? I thought it was for economy, could it improve emissions even if it doesn't save gas?
I aint saying what I've observed and posted is the end all be all for testing, but killing the DFM sure seem to be for the better. I wasnt really expecting much, but from what I can tell this GM DFM is definitely hurting performance and mileage.

I am not sure I'll be keeping my 1500 a lot longer, but I am tempted to add one to that rig and see if i experience the same results.

Last edited:
I aint saying what I've observed and posted is the end all be all for testing, but killing the DFM sure seem to be for the better. I'm wasnt really expecting much, but from what I can tell this GM DFM is definitely hurting performance and mileage.

I am not sure I'll be keeping my 1500 a lot longer, but I am tempted to add one to that and see if i experience the same results.
If you get bored there’s a PDF floating around the web that can be found by searching TULA and DFM together. The skip fire technology is pretty slick and way more went into it than the old AFM system.

Overall it’s worth 1-1.5 mpg in the fleet average for full size trucks and SUVs. Times that by over a million sold per year and you get the idea. There are some emissions benefits as well that come from lower consumption but mainly by operating the engine more efficiently with less pumping loss and more load on each individual cylinder.

I was of the understanding that EPA averages are estimated through a very rigid process. Nail down the process you can probably fudge the numbers somewhat, like how VW gamed diesel emissions a decade ago. My guess is GM calibrated DFM to add efficiency for specific conditions outlined in the test to up the fleet average, but the result is probably that it is less optimized for other (real world) conditions

That’s like those MPG rating on the window sticker that most never see. It’s good for a ver specific situation but not really accurate for real world use lol.

I was of the understanding that EPA averages are estimated through a very rigid process. Nail down the process you can probably fudge the numbers somewhat, like how VW gamed diesel emissions a decade ago. My guess is GM calibrated DFM to add efficiency for specific conditions outlined in the test to up the fleet average, but the result is probably that it is less optimized for other (real world) conditions
Yep, they test them on paper and a dyno, then print the numbers, It’s s all bullshit so they can play the government games.

It's like diesel emissions systems that are supposed to reduce nox and particulates. What they fail to mention is you lose 2-5 mpg and burn a lot more fuel. Now add in the environmental footprint of producing, refining, and shipping more diesel. Couple that with the production, shipping, and maintenance costs of the running DPF and Selective Catalytic Reduction systems. Now add in the costs of manufacturing, shipping, and distribution of DEF fluid and you've increased your carbon footprint 5x and killed the fucking environment all because some beurcratic shitbgas wanted to pretend they were environmental do gooders.

Last edited:
Yep, they test them on paper and a dyno, then print the numbers it's all bullshit so they can play the government games.

It's like diesel emissions systems that are supposed to reduce nox and particulates. What they fail to mention is you lose 2-5 mpg and burn a lot morenfuel. Now add in the environmental footprint of producing, refining, and shipping more diesel. Couple that with the production, shipping, and maintenance costs of the running DPF and Selective Catalytic Reduction systems. Now add in the costs of manufacturing, shipping, and distribution of DEF fluid and you've increased your carbon footprint 5x and killed the fucking environment all because some beurcratic shitbgas wanted to pretend they were environmental do gooders.
Sounds like the ethanol bullshit right.

Yep, they test them on paper and a dyno, then print the numbers, It’s s all bullshit so they can play the government games.

It's like diesel emissions systems that are supposed to reduce nox and particulates. What they fail to mention is you lose 2-5 mpg and burn a lot more fuel. Now add in the environmental footprint of producing, refining, and shipping more diesel. Couple that with the production, shipping, and maintenance costs of the running DPF and Selective Catalytic Reduction systems. Now add in the costs of manufacturing, shipping, and distribution of DEF fluid and you've increased your carbon footprint 5x and killed the fucking environment all because some beurcratic shitbgas wanted to pretend they were environmental do gooders.
Cite your data to back this up.

Since I know you can’t, the real reason these emissions control systems are important is diesel exhaust has an outsized influence on local air quality and health between smog forming emissions and particulate matter. “Carbon footprint” isn’t the be all end all of emissions controls.

Reactions: AXE

Since I know you can’t, the real reason these emissions control systems are important is diesel exhaust has an outsized influence on local air quality and health between smog forming emissions and particulate matter. “Carbon footprint” isn’t the be all end all of emissions controls.
My source is I open my fucking eyes and pay attention all day long. I don't listen to dumbfucks like you pushing propoganda. I've been working in the power industry for 35 years. We invented SCR technology to run on power plants. It was poorly adapted, unreliable, and uneconomical to run on vehicles. Chapter 1 of that book was written 15 years ago and each chapter since proves it out.

I've done more environmental studies and compliance work on accident than you and the fucking government does on purpose. I've been in court, I've provided expertise testimony, and I've prevailed in every case I've presented to the regulators. Many of which thanked me for my work that made their decisions "easier".

I've worked on several "green energy" projects over the last 15 years. The only thing green about them was all the cabbage spent to build them. I've never seen projects with a bigger environmental footprint than "green energy". They consume more oil and gas and mined products than anything built. Green energy my ass, it's parasitic like every other government boondoggle!

My source is I open my fucking eyes and pay attention all day long. I don't listen to dumbfucks like you pushing propoganda. I've been working in the power industry for 35 years. We invented SCR technology to run on power plants. It was poorly adapted, unreliable, and uneconomical to run on vehicles. Chapter 1 of that book was written 15 years ago and each chapter since proves it out.

I've done more environmental studies and compliance work on accident than you and the fucking government does on purpose. I've been in court, I've provided expertise testimony, and I've prevailed in every case I've presented to the regulators. Many of which thanked me for my work that made their decisions "easier".

I've worked on several "green energy" projects over the last 15 years. The only thing green about them was all the cabbage spent to build them. I've never seen projects with a bigger environmental footprint than "green energy". They consume more oil and gas and mined products than anything built. Green energy my ass, it's parasitic like every other government boondoggle!
Man that just reminds me of how green toy electric cars are supposed to be.
Government NEVER has our best interest at heart. Doesnt matter which side of the isle you vote for, they all want whatever gets them more money in their pockets.

That’s a lot of words to say “no I can’t back up my claims.”

Transportation emissions have long shown to have seriously negative health effects to people with long commutes and those living near busy highways. Seeing as we have hundreds of millions of vehicles on the road it’s important those vehicles are as clean as they can reasonably be, especially since gasoline and diesel engines will continue to be sold for decades. The 6.2 in my truck is a remarkably clean engine compared to what was available even 20 years ago and I expect the next generation to be even better and just as much fun to drive.

That’s a lot of words to say “no I can’t back up my claims.”

Transportation emissions have long shown to have seriously negative health effects to people with long commutes and those living near busy highways. Seeing as we have hundreds of millions of vehicles on the road it’s important those vehicles are as clean as they can reasonably be, especially since gasoline and diesel engines will continue to be sold for decades. The 6.2 in my truck is a remarkably clean engine compared to what was available even 20 years ago and I expect the next generation to be even better and just as much fun to drive.
I've seen all this this shit before on X. Some douche canoe bot drops a challenge statement, then does a cut and paste of someone else's work from the interweb to try and make themselves sound smart.

You and the Dragon bot can fuck right off with your useless drivel.

They are doing it because the government told them too. And to fuck with us.

Sounds like you should be driving a Prius.

There is no debate the emissions today are sooooo much less than they used to be and fuel economy is soooo much better than it was. it's not all bad, but it comes at a price.

And nobody gives a FF what we think about and no matter who's in charge it's not going away. so getting butthurt over it is useless. so devices like the Range are how you play the game.

My only gripe is unless something works don't do it merely for appearances. and it seems DFM might be one of those things, and it's not just GM doing it. I'm inclined to believe it may make more difference in some vehicle/powertrain combinations than others, but it's applied on the entire fleet .

Most Member Reactions

Back