Range Technology Beta Testing

That looks like a pain. Truck is down while ECM is being redone, extra charge for licensing and you still have to purchase software. Am I missing something?

That looks like a pain. Truck is down while ECM is being redone, extra charge for licensing and you still have to purchase software. Am I missing something?
Yes, you get to tune it anyway you want.

That's why people wait for someone to release a canned product. Most people don't have the ability or equipment to tune.

I've done it on my own with motorcycles, atvs and sxs. I've just always bought canned tuners for vehicles. Cause they need to be tested more extensively to be reliable and perform.

Yes, you get to tune it anyway you want.

That's why people wait for someone to release a canned product. Most people don't have the ability or equipment to tune.

I've done it on my own with motorcycles, atvs and sxs. I've just always bought canned tuners for vehicles. Cause they need to be tested more extensively to be reliable and perform.
I have messed with the Vance & Hines FP3 on my Harley, but like you have always used the canned programs for the truck.

I have messed with the Vance & Hines FP3 on my Harley, but like you have always used the canned programs for the truck.
I'd get mine pretty close then brought it to a shop with a dyno for fine tuning. I usually wasn't far off, but when I did my Ducati the tech made quite a few small adjustments and it made a few more HP. No way I could have guessed at that. Paying for a good tune is worth it.

Last edited:
@AXE what ducati? I have a '18 Multi 1260S
Hypermotard 1100......I'm more of a dirt biker, so it fits my hooligan riding style. Quick and agile in the twisties and 70 mph wheelies when the road is boring. Old school, two valve, oil cooled, dry clutch......sounds great uncorked!

If I was doing miles, the Multi would be my choice.

Attachments

• 20211223_155930.jpg
    20211223_155930.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 10
Just remember that you still have the "bad" parts inside your engine. You can disable DFM by putting her in TOW/HAUL mode or running her in L9. Either way you go, you can still have a DFM based failure. If you already have Auto S/S disabled, this may not be a great investment. You can also buy the Auto S/S disable itself for under $135 if you are looking for that as well. Just mentioning so you make an intelligent decision and an economical one as well. Good luck my friends!

Just remember that you still have the "bad" parts inside your engine. You can disable DFM by putting her in TOW/HAUL mode or running her in L9. Either way you go, you can still have a DFM based failure. If you already have Auto S/S disabled, this may not be a great investment. You can also buy the Auto S/S disable itself for under $135 if you are looking for that as well. Just mentioning so you make an intelligent decision and an economical one as well. Good luck my friends!
Thought you had to have it in L9 to disable and T/H had no effect on it? Has that myth been busted?

The range chip will help with the lifter failures and bearing failures as well. not only will the lifters stop bouncing around without oil but the oil pump will stop cutting pressure when the lifters are deactivated, this matters. blaming the quality of the parts doesn't get it. it's the design of the system .

I ordered my chip and I'll install it the day it gets here. not only does it may obvious sense but my service manager told me it's the best fix possible.

The range chip will help with the lifter failures and bearing failures as well. not only will the lifters stop bouncing around without oil but the oil pump will stop cutting pressure when the lifters are deactivated, this matters. blaming the quality of the parts doesn't get it. it's the design of the system .

I ordered my chip and I'll install it the day it gets here. not only does it may obvious sense but my service manager told me it's the best fix possible.
Not sure I buy this reasoning, but it's your money. Why will this be any different than disabling DFM through TOW/HAUL or L9? It's not an expensive piece so to some it may be worth trying to run the truck normally.

Last edited:
Questions? How do you get it to L9? Will this chip void warranty? Is it worth it if you don’t plan to keep the truck beyond 3 years? The new GX550 has my attention. Watching to see if they have same issues as the Tundra motors over the next year or two. If I can talk the wife into trading her Sq5 for the GX and I get a 2500 diesel that would be best. She’s unlikely to see it that way. lol

Questions? How do you get it to L9? Will this chip void warranty? Is it worth it if you don’t plan to keep the truck beyond 3 years? The new GX550 has my attention. Watching to see if they have same issues as the Tundra motors over the next year or two. If I can talk the wife into trading her Sq5 for the GX and I get a 2500 diesel that would be best. She’s unlikely to see it that way. lol
Put the truck in L and then select the (+) to get it up to 9. Depending on the dealer, it may very well have a warranty impact and get your VIN flagged if you don't remove it before getting it serviced. Some dealer won't care, or even see it, others will. As far as the Lexus, I believe Lexus has already been flagged as the motors are the same as in the Tundra and Lexus is also a part of the recall.

There is one or two Lexus that have been flagged. The GX's are new in 2024 and not one of the flagged vehicles. Yet. Demand has been crazy for them. My dealer told me it would be impossible to get one this year and people are paying over sticker. I have joined a few GX FB groups and people are just now starting to take delivery of them having ordered them a year ago. I saw my first one in the wild yesterday and I have to say they look sharp! I will be paying attention to those FB pages to see what happens.

Most Member Reactions

Back