Range Technology Beta Testing

I pull some of my best mileage in 8-9 cause it doesn't lug and the motor/throttle isn't hunting all the time.

I had a Range on my 2018 Silverado 1500. Worked flawlessly. No more DFM at all on that truck. I am currently running my ZR2 in Tow/Haul mode. I am on a new replacement engine (only 1500 miles since it was replaced). 1st engine only had 5500 miles on it before it seized due to crank bearing failure.

Waiting to hear back from those who have ordered before I jump in.

Dave

I am anxious to see if there is any change in mpg with the range. My bet is there is little to no change in mpg and all this dfm tech is worthless in the real world? In other words…All Bullshit!

I had a Range on my 2018 Silverado 1500. Worked flawlessly. No more DFM at all on that truck. I am currently running my ZR2 in Tow/Haul mode. I am on a new replacement engine (only 1500 miles since it was replaced). 1st engine only had 5500 miles on it before it seized due to crank bearing failure.

Waiting to hear back from those who have ordered before I jump in.

Dave
I think if they don’t release a new pulsar, I’d want to see how it worked for everyone else myself lol.

guys who are interested in purchasing should attempt a group buy/forum discount.
If someone dies a group buy, I'll buy one for my wife's Tahoe. I will only pay <$199.99.

I am anxious to see if there is any change in mpg with the range. My bet is there is little to no change in mpg and all this dfm tech is worthless in the real world? In other words…All Bullshit!
During the chip shortage, they shipped trucks without it activated (believe hard parts were present which would be exactly what you’ll have) for a while and published revised MPG numbers for those trucks. It was one MPG…in other words, you are right, worthless for the headaches.

During the chip shortage, they shipped trucks without it activated (believe hard parts were present which would be exactly what you’ll have) for a while and published revised MPG numbers for those trucks. It was one MPG…in other words, you are right, worthless for the headaches.

My friend bought one of these. I believe it's a 2021, AT4, with a 5.3 liter engine. No ASS and no cylinder de- activation. So far it's been really dependable. He has around 28K on it now. The truck is surprisingly quick for a 5.3.

I talked to my service manager buddy today to confirm whether this would effect the warranty. as suspected it's up to the dealer , and whether GM would make anything of it. he says they will not report it or take it into consideration but advised removing it if it goes to another dealer. since it's a post computer refresh module there will be no trace of it in the system.

We talked about the effects on lifter failure and he said again it will absolutely 100% make a huge difference in lifter failure, he knows it, GM knows it everyone knows it. GM would delete it themselves if they could. it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned, even if the failure is covered by warranty, I'm not a big fan of tow trucks and waiting for repairs. screw that.

I talked to my service manager buddy today to confirm whether this would effect the warranty. as suspected it's up to the dealer , and whether GM would make anything of it. he says they will not report it or take it into consideration but advised removing it if it goes to another dealer. since it's a post computer refresh module there will be no trace of it in the system.

We talked about the effects on lifter failure and he said again it will absolutely 100% make a huge difference in lifter failure, he knows it, GM knows it everyone knows it. GM would delete it themselves if they could. it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned, even if the failure is covered by warranty, I'm not a big fan of tow trucks and waiting for repairs. screw that.
Not sure anyone is saying it won’t help at least reduce lifter failure risk. Whether it’s a 100% guarantee given the hard parts are there, people are going to debate that and no way to fully prove it, who really knows. But I certainly agree it won’t hurt a bit, some cheap insurance and peace of mind.

If GM wants to get rid of the lifters and can’t, who the hell can? Seems like a bigger problem 😅

Fortunately, at least on the forum, we aren’t seeing as many of the lifters these days and unfortunately we’ve seen a rise in bearing failures and catastrophic engine issues requiring full replacements…

GM wouldn't be using DEF on the diesels if they had a choice either, fuel milage mandates and emissions are the reason we have this crap it's not the manufacturers idea. thus the DFM.

By keeping the DFM off the oil pump stays at full volume. that's a good thing.

The bearing failures due to the clearance problem isn't going to be saved by a chip obviously. but for those engines without that issue more oil is a good thing.

If a $229 plug and play module could fix every problem known to man it would cost a lot more than $229. buy it for what it does fix because that's worth more than $229.

GM wouldn't be using DEF on the diesels if they had a choice either, fuel milage mandates and emissions are the reason we have this crap it's not the manufacturers idea. thus the DFM.

By keeping the DFM off the oil pump stays at full volume. that's a good thing.

The bearing failures due to the clearance problem isn't going to be saved by a chip obviously. but for those engines without that issue more oil is a good thing.

If a $229 plug and play module could fix every problem known to man it would cost a lot more than $229. buy it for what it does fix because that's worth more than $229.
Totally agree, emissions and government infringement has led to consumer pain, price increases, etc while government and military vehicles get passes on emission systems and fuel mileage mandates.

And, as I said, I agree with the cheap insurance and peace of mind on the chip.

I should have said, if GM can’t fix their failure prone lifters, who the hell can. That’s really my underlying frustration as I love the 6.2…but I just can’t give GM a pass given the amount of time this has been going on. So, we don’t disagree but it does frustrate me we are even having this discussion so many years in…it’s ridiculous.

Having said that, I don’t follow the other manufacturers so maybe they’re all having recurring lifter failure on their cylinder deactivation systems as well (or whatever technology they use), I genuinely don’t know. You’re more knowledgeable on v8 / gas motors than myself. To your point, it could just be “part of it” across the board like DEF and diesel emissions. If that’s the case, it’s truly unfortunate what’s happened to American v8s and diesel trucks as well.

I put the pulsar LT on my 5.3 2021 trail boss at 2,000 miles and still had lifter failure at 18,000 miles. If this one had all of the features the LT had I would still get it. Maybe it helps… or maybe it doesn’t?

I know one thing, if you ain't pulling oil samples for testing every 2500 miles, you don't know shit about what's happening inside your motor.

You can wave your dick around about oil this and oil pump that and what about L9 and what does tow/haul do and is it further to Fargo or by train......but if your junk is melting down the only way you'll know is by the oil analysis or just before your post about the tow job and dear John call you got from your service advisor.

Nothing wrong with investing in a DFM bypass for the minimal cost, but an extended warranty is a much better investment right now and I can count the number of times I've bought an extended warranty on my middle finger.

Most Member Reactions

Back