Plummeting value.

Starts with new vehicles. Now that lots are full again (at least here around Houston and in central TX), no longer can dealers get msrp or higher. That trickles down to used car values. For example, a new GMC 1500 AT4 stickers at approx. $75000, but can be had around $65000 here and possibly with a reduced interest rate. Thats less than a couple of years ago. So similar used vehicles will be pressured downward as well, and maybe even more so due to higher interest rates for used vehicles.

Agreed, but that’s the lower end, although a 2021 5 series is going for 25k, so I guess it’s felt across the board. I’m just a little frustrated losing $30k in less than 12 months.
Wait until after the elections. If these rigs are worth $45k you'll be $10k ahead. The thing about depreciating assets, is they always depreciate........ macro economic conditions determine the amplitude of the curve.

Hasn’t the used car market been trying to correct itself for the over valued used cars during the past several months. That could be part of the problem. I think as a whole this country is in serious financial trouble. Repossessed cars increase, repossessed homes increase, goods and services price increased, cars and homeowners insurance increased.
100%

Starts with new vehicles. Now that lots are full again (at least here around Houston and in central TX), no longer can dealers get msrp or higher. That trickles down to used car values. For example, a new GMC 1500 AT4 stickers at approx. $75000, but can be had around $65000 here and possibly with a reduced interest rate. Thats less than a couple of years ago. So similar used vehicles will be pressured downward as well, and maybe even more so due to higher interest rates for used vehicles.
agreed..lots in nyc are full of trucks. ie, no more 10k market adjustment on new ranger raptor.

I get all the frustration, but for me I don’t care. I buy everything fully expecting a loss in value due to depreciation as soon as I get it. That goes for watches, trucks, hell even golf clubs. Real estate is about the only thing that I expect to go up… well that and taxes, but thats a whole different thread of pissed off comments.

I get all the frustration, but for me I don’t care. I buy everything fully expecting a loss in value due to depreciation as soon as I get it. That goes for watches, trucks, hell even golf clubs. Real estate is about the only thing that I expect to go up… well that and taxes, but thats a whole different thread of pissed off comments.
Guns and ammo always go up!

Sadly… yes that too. But for me it’s the primers, not necessarily the guns or the ammo.
Yup! I stocked up big time a couple years after Obama was elected the first (when inventory came back up and prices went back down). Primers, brass, bullets, powder, .22lr ammo, … still have stuff left, but importantly was able to skip buying the peaks and replenish when things normalized.

The market has significantly changed. All car values are tanking. Hell, go try to trade in a newer Tundra with the v6 lol! It’s just going to get worse. I just bought my ZR2 and plan on keeping it for a long time. Probably give it to my son in 6 years and then buy a new truck for me.

I’d imagine my trade in range is 50-55 for a 22 with 20k

Paid 67. 12-17k depreciation in 2 years. Not terrible but not great. Paying sticker for one would be a kick in the nuts with current trade values.

Reality is, the public demand for the “trailboss plus” isn’t there. They don’t make many and what is in the market has it well saturated. The truck is just too similar to the cheaper model at face value. I see substantially more Tremors. (Our direct competitor)

I’ve driven my truck since launch of the sub model and I don’t see very many of these. I’ve seen maybe a grand total of 4 different trucks. The local blue one like mine was traded in quickly. There’s 2 black ones a grey one locally. Thats a rough showing for a model going on 3 years old.

Trail Bosses are everywhere with the 4 banger.

I’d imagine my trade in range is 50-55 for a 22 with 20k

Paid 67. 12-17k depreciation in 2 years. Not terrible but not great. Paying sticker for one would be a kick in the nuts with current trade values.

Reality is, the public demand for the “trailboss plus” isn’t there. They don’t make many and what is in the market has it well saturated. The truck is just too similar to the cheaper model at face value. I see substantially more Tremors. (Our direct competitor)

I’ve driven my truck since launch of the sub model and I don’t see very many of these. I’ve seen maybe a grand total of 4 different trucks. The local blue one like mine was traded in quickly. There’s 2 black ones a grey one locally. Thats a rough showing for a model going on 3 years old.

Trail Bosses are everywhere with the 4 banger.
On my neck of the woods dealers are stocked up and TBs are plentiful here.

I also see alot of ZR2's, average of 3 a day out and about.

Seen one at the trailhead yesterday finishing up. Thought it was one of the members here but it didn't have a bed cover. Blacked out bowtie and fender ZR2 deleted

Attachments

• 20240615_144521.jpg
    20240615_144521.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 23
Yup! I stocked up big time a couple years after Obama was elected the first (when inventory came back up and prices went back down). Primers, brass, bullets, powder, .22lr ammo, … still have stuff left, but importantly was able to skip buying the peaks and replenish when things normalized.
Dad taught me that if you shoot 1 box of ammo you buy two to replace it. One to shoot and one for the safe for a later day.

Sadly… yes that too. But for me it’s the primers, not necessarily the guns or the ammo.
People collect primers and gunpowder, I convert mine to product. Just ordered a couple more pounds of powder and primers. Now that it's too damn hot outside to shoot, I'll punch out 4 or 5k rounds of .357 and 10 mm.

Last edited:
People collect primers and gunpowder, I convert mine to product. Just ordered a couple more pounds of powder and primers. Now that it's too damn hot outside to shoot, I'll punch out 4 or 5k rounds of .357 and 10 mm.
@AXE what brand equipment are you using for loading? Looking at picking up a used Square Deal by Dillon.

@AXE what brand equipment are you using for loading? Looking at picking up a used Square Deal by Dillon.
I'm using a Dillon XL 750. I don't really load that fast, but it can fly if you load high volume.

The Square Deal is a long proven loader. It would be good, especially for a good price.

Dillon is a good company with excellent customer service. If you break a part, they'll send you one no charge. They are local to me and I've needed a couple parts. Walked in and walked out with new parts.

I think RCBS and Lee are good too. I know guys that use them and like them.

I think if you find something that fits your volume range and price you'll be happy.

I reloaded a lot with my Dad in the 70s and 80s and it was all single stage Herters equipment. Me and my brother punched out a lot of round with the ol man. Made killing time in the winter fun.

My $0.02, I bought a couple of SDB’s and a 500/550 , sold all of em around 15-20yrs ago. Current setup for bulk ammo is a 650, which is the 750 predecessor. I have been keeping an eye out for a second 650 or 750 (not a fan of changing out the primer systems, prefer to leave it all set up except for head and shell plates. If just loading one caliber and not OCD, etc, the SDB is likely fine.

For accuracy (bolt rifle stuff), I much prefer a single stage (RCBS, Redding, Forster Coax,…).

Most Member Reactions

Back