Ordering Questions for HD ZR2

It’s Sterling Gray… hope that doesn’t get me kicked out.

So I’m hoping you knowledgeable people can help me out… the truck has a little over 8k miles on it and was sold at the end of 2023. I flew out to buy it, but I’m seeing what I feel is quite a bit of surface rust. Would y’all be able to give me your opinion? Is it still a “buy” or a walk away?

Attachments

• IMG_5383.jpeg
    IMG_5383.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5377.jpeg
    IMG_5377.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5375.jpeg
    IMG_5375.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5370.jpeg
    IMG_5370.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5366.jpeg
    IMG_5366.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: AXE
It’s Sterling Gray… hope that doesn’t get me kicked out.

So I’m hoping you knowledgeable people can help me out… the truck has a little over 8k miles on it and was sold at the end of 2023. I flew out to buy it, but I’m seeing what I feel is quite a bit of surface rust. Would y’all be able to give me your opinion? Is it still a “buy” or a walk away?
That's not much to worry about. It looks to me like the wax on that frame was applied too thin. You can buy Undercoating In a can and respray this areas. Maybe ask the dealer to spray them before you buy it.

Anywhere that uses a lot of salt on the road will make this happen quickly. Also heavy pressure washing can affect the wax.

I've got a thread about it. There's another product mentored in that thread that works too.

Last edited:
Lots of viable options, this the actual stuff GM puts on from the factory. I keep a few cans on hand and touch up once a year.

I think the part that concerns me the most is the top of the shock tower… idk why but it almost looks like the metal has been eaten through by rust? Even though I feel like that isn’t possible on a 2024…

Reactions: AXE
I think the part that concerns me the most is the top of the shock tower… idk why but it almost looks like the metal has been eaten through by rust? Even though I feel like that isn’t possible on a 2024…
It's surface rust, it hadnt had time to eat intonthe metal.The edges of that shock tower are sharp and probably have less wax. That is an area that may have accumulated heavy mud and was pressure washed hard. Also if the wheel well liner is removed it will rub.off wax if you let it hit the frame. I've touched up a fee spots on mine from when I installed my AMP steps, my compressor and lights.

If you have any kind of rust prevention done, make sure it's compatible with the wax coating. A lot of it isn't and acts like a solvent and the wax will come off easily.

AXE, you’ll be happy to hear that even the GMCs have slightly wonky bumpers.
IMG_5402.jpeg

Most Member Reactions

Back