First Long tow Results in HDZR2

PL1HD1

Reaction score
Well I just completed a 1100 mile trip Towing my 8k pound Travel Trailer towing with my HdZR2 .Truck done great no issues plenty of power seemed to use a little less DEF than my 21 did on similar trips . Overall Fuel milage was about 9.5-10 running about 70 . The last 3-400 miles we had a 20 mph head wind our mileage dropped to 7.1 MPG I burned 30 gallons of Diesel in 218 miles . The diesel is great power wise but towing it likes the Fuel . Without towing highway I am averaging around 18-19 Mpg . What are you guys seeing for mileage ? You always hear people claim ridiculous MPG numbers towing that I have never been able to achieve .

I did 1600 miles no trailer and got about 16 mpg through variable terrain and wind 65-85 mph. I thought that was pretty good. Same as my other lifted Duramaxes.

Been doing some short distance towing. Light trailers seems about 14-15 mpg. My 28' toyhauler wasn't loaded, so maybe 10k lbs and it didn't look like I was gonna break 11 mpg in relatively flat conditions with no wind. That seems like a little less than previous Duramaxes.

DEF use seemed pretty normal and regens were longer at around 600 miles.

I have about 4k miles on mine now. Mileage got better about 1500-2000 miles on the clock.

Attachments

• 20240608_151659.jpg
    20240608_151659.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240606_213104.jpg
    20240606_213104.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240610_084051.jpg
    20240610_084051.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I did 1600 miles no trailer and got about 16 mpg through variable terrain and wind 65-85 mph. I thought that was pretty good. Same as my other lifted Duramaxes.

Been doing some short distance towing. Light trailers seems about 14-15 mpg. My 28' toyhauler wasn't loaded, so maybe 10k lbs and it didn't look like I was gonna break 11 mpg in relatively flat conditions with no wind. That seems like a little less than previous Duramaxes.

DEF use seemed pretty normal and regens were longer at around 600 miles.

I have about 4k miles on mine now. Mileage got better about 1500-2000 miles on the clock.
Yea my Regens are about the same I have 3600 miles on mine I didn’t tow anything for about the first 1200 miles and have only towed this travel trailer . When I towed a short trip flat and no head wind I got 10.5-11 average . But on this trip from Virginia to Iowa 9.5 was best I saw but there was mountains and then a steady headwind . Out of the 3600 miles I have on this truck 2100 miles of it has been towing this travel trailer . I figure by the time I get back to Virginia it should be pretty well broke in . I haven’t reset trip 2 in my dash so lifetime mileage average is showing 11.2 mpg . It does seem slightly better than my 21 was on fuel and def . I pulled this same Travel trailer with the 21 so it’s a pretty direct comparison.

With my last truck, which was the 3 liter LM2 diesel, I saw a boost around 15-20K miles, I think you may see a bit of an improvement around that time. I think break in takes a while in the diesels to get fully seated and running it's best. IMHO/YMMV
My previous 6.6L Duramaxes didnt see much improvement due to "break in". This one had a noticeable change around 1500, but I'm not expecting much more. We'll see if this synthetic oil does anything. Not much can help a 9000lb truck that sits 7 feet tall and 7 feet wide rolling on 35s that weigh 125 lbs each.

Last edited:
Without towing highway I am averaging around 18-19 Mpg . What are you guys seeing for mileage ? You always hear people claim ridiculous MPG numbers towing that I have never been able to achieve .
Only about 1200 miles so far but avg is 14.6mpg. I don’t drive my trucks too aggressively, and I stay under 80mph (75mph limit). Did tow my buddy’s utility trailer and atv to my deer lease (350miles round trip) which avg’ed about 14.1mpg.

I would get 17-18mpg empty in my ‘21 AT4 with the 6.2L.

I hope mine gets better after a few more miles as I’ve heard it will(like AXE posted above), but I can only dream of 18-19!

Only about 1200 miles so far but avg is 14.6mpg. I don’t drive my trucks too aggressively, and I stay under 80mph (75mph limit). Did tow my buddy’s utility trailer and atv to my deer lease (350miles round trip) which avg’ed about 14.1mpg.

I hope mine gets better after a few more miles as I’ve heard it will(like AXE posted above), but I can only dream of 18-19!
I was seeing some averages of 18-20+ mpg on my trip, but it had to be flat, no wind and 65-70 mph max speed.

Attachments

• 20240531_092835.jpg
    20240531_092835.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240531_094325.jpg
    20240531_094325.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 19

Mine is around what AXE has been getting. His is slightly better but was up over 20 the other day on the highway

IMG_3070.HEIC.jpeg

Mine is around what AXE has been getting. His is slightly better but was up over 20 the other day on the highway

View attachment 13626
What's up with your tire pressure, it looks like it's all over the place? I run mine at 55 psi +/- and seems to ride good with decent milage. Might get better mileage at 60 psi, but I'm not running 60-80 psi unless I'm towing heavy.

Last edited:
What's up with your tire pressure, it looks like it's all over the place? I run mine at 55 psi +/- and seems to ride good with Deven milage. Might get better mileage at 60 psi, but I'm not running 60-80 psi unless I'm towing heavy.
I think that they set the front to 65 and rear to 55 when new. I guess it lost a little in the front left. Maybe I'll try 55 all around

I think that they set the front to 65 and rear to 55 when new. I guess it lost a little in the front left. Maybe I'll try 55 all around
Yeah. I like 55 psi.for daily driving. I think that's what the door sticker says.

I'll run 65 psi towing around 10k an if I get closer to 14-15k, I'll go 75 psi. It always comes up 2 or 3 psi when driving, so I don't like to go too high with the cold setting. That seems to have worked well in the past with larger tires, mostly ran Toyos.

Last edited:
Yeah. I like 55 psi.for daily driving. I think that's what the door sticker says.

I'll run 65 psi towing around 10k an if I get closer to 14-15k, I'll go 75 psi. It always comes up 2 or 3 psi when driving, so I don't like to go too high with the cold setting. That seems to have worked well in the past with larger tires, mostly ran Toyos.
I'm not sure on the diesel, But the recommended on my Gasser is 65 front, 55 rear. I would thing the diesels would say the same if not more with the extra weight. That's how mine came from the dealer. I run mine at 60 all the way around though.

Just a heads up, but these tires (Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT - assume the Bison edition has the same tires) max at 65psi, vs 80psi like most E range tires I’ve had previously.

I have the fronts at 55psi and the rears at 50psi (but may reduce that a bit more). I found long ago that when the rears are the same psi as the fronts, the rear end is way too bouncy and loses traction more easily.

I'm not sure on the diesel, But the recommended on my Gasser is 65 front, 55 rear. I would thing the diesels would say the same if not more with the extra weight. That's how mine came from the dealer. I run mine at 60 all the way around though.
Mine says 55 psi, that being said, I wouldn't care what it read. I run my however I feel from 15 to 80 psi depending upon activity and desired performance.

Remember you bought the only snow plow rig in Alabama, so specs are different for a +1500 lb front end attachment.

Attachments

• 20240611_120519.jpg
    20240611_120519.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Just a heads up, but these tires (Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT - assume the Bison edition has the same tires) max at 65psi, vs 80psi like most E range tires I’ve had previously.

I have the fronts at 55psi and the rears at 50psi (but may reduce that a bit more). I found long ago that when the rears are the same psi as the fronts, the rear end is way too bouncy and loses traction more easily.
I used to run 35s Toyos and they had 65 psi rating and they seemed to do just fine. I eventually went to 295s, cause they were spec'd for 80 psi and I liked that better north of 12-13k lbs.

Hey ZR2 team, I am revisiting this thread because I have had my truck for a few weeks now and am wondering if the tire pressures are correct. Currently, I am running 60psi in the front and 55 in the rear. I am not towing anything but do have the snow plow prep package, which I won't be snow plowing anything either. To make the ride a little softer, could I do 55psi in the front and 50psi in the rear, or would that not be good for proper tire wear and/or optimal traction? Currently, the ride is slightly harsh (but still great for a 2500hd) and am wondering if I can improve slightly. Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

Hey ZR2 team, I am revisiting this thread because I have had my truck for a few weeks now and am wondering if the tire pressures are correct. Currently, I am running 60psi in the front and 55 in the rear. I am not towing anything but do have the snow plow prep package, which I won't be snow plowing anything either. To make the ride a little softer, could I do 55psi in the front and 50psi in the rear, or would that not be good for proper tire wear and/or optimal traction? Currently, the ride is slightly harsh (but still great for a 2500hd) and am wondering if I can improve slightly. Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.
Did you search tire pressure in search, lots of comments there. Ive settled in on 58 55 on hd with prep package. I think others went 4 square 55. Believe they may have had had no snow plow prep. Towing is a different game as you mentioned. My truck was only 1/2 inch out lvl from factory. Run about 250 lbs of gear in bed at all times and is diesel. 😀

Last edited:
Change your front torsion bars for Cognito comfort ride bars. Tire pressure isn't the problem. The front spring rate is to high. Mine came with the snow plow prep and I wasn't happy with the ride. I changed the bars and I typically run 60 Psi in all my tires. Truck rides great. Heck I went on a trip with my camper last week and aired up to 65. Until I read this thread, I had forgot to air back down. So all this week I've been at 65 running around unloaded. I didn't even notice the ride difference, lol. Before I changed my torsion bars, I kept trying different PSI in the tires. Different combinations, ect. I think it's just going to ride stiff with the HD bars and no extra weight on the front end. At least that's how mine was.

Change your front torsion bars for Cognito comfort ride bars. Tire pressure isn't the problem. The front spring rate is to high. Mine came with the snow plow prep and I wasn't happy with the ride. I changed the bars and I typically run 60 Psi in all my tires. Truck rides great. Heck I went on a trip with my camper last week and aired up to 65. Until I read this thread, I had forgot to air back down. So all this week I've been at 65 running around unloaded. I didn't even notice the ride difference, lol. Before I changed my torsion bars, I kept trying different PSI in the tires. Different combinations, ect. I think it's just going to ride stiff with the HD bars and no extra weight on the front end. At least that's how mine was.
I installed the Cognito bars because they were on Cognito's page for a 2024 ZR2. After I installed them and I kept having to add turns as I put more miles on the truck, I called Cognito and they said the bars are not compatible with 2024 ZR2! If you look on their site right now, the soft ride bars no longer show up when ZR2 is selected! I can't get a straight answer as to why. Cognito has gone down the crapper from when I bought my first suspension parts when they came on the scene!

I installed the Cognito bars because they were on Cognito's page for a 2024 ZR2. After I installed them and I kept having to add turns as I put more miles on the truck, I called Cognito and they said the bars are not compatible with 2024 ZR2! If you look on their site right now, the soft ride bars no longer show up when ZR2 is selected! I can't get a straight answer as to why. Cognito has gone down the crapper from when I bought my first suspension parts when they came on the scene!
That's interesting! I don't see a difference, but I wonder if the lift is causing the end user to crank it up more due to additional leverage from ride height increase. They probably figured out it wasn't specd right to handle the lift. Probably some broken ones and unhappy customers.

Would new keys help make them work?

Are they gonna give you your money back?

Most Member Reactions

Back