Trailer Not Recognized

Floriduramax1

Reaction score
So we pull the boat for the first time with this truck yesterday. It pulls better than my 2016 DRW 3500 High Country! We retrieve boat and on the way home I get a message "Trailer not Recognized". I unplug and re connect. I then get a warning to check right and left turn signals. WE check them and they work perfectly except the truck flashes them very fast. I have electric over hydraulic brakes on a very low mileage 2022 Amerattail high end "C" channel type boat trailer. After a couple miles I get "Trailer Disconnected" warning and brakes no longer function. I pull this trailer with my other vehicles with zero issues. All lights work, just turn signals flash rapidly and truck thinks they are not connected! This is very dangerous! I got up this morning and pulled the boat to my shop to stick in the wash bay so it can be cleaned tomorrow and everything works perfectly! I have all sealed LED's on the trailer with dedicated home run wiring to each light. As I said, all lights work perfectly but truck does not like something after trailer is submerged! Has anyone ran into this?

On another note, I have to give the truck credit. She pulls harder and much quieter than my tuned and deleted 2016 LML. My old heavily tuned 2006 2500 LBZ with stage 4 SunCoast transmission might give her a run for the money but the 06 is no where near as refined, smooth and easy to handle! I'll just be glad when I can fix this uncomfortable drivers seat so I don't have to sit on a 2" gel pad :LOL:

Picture for attention...

IMG_1595.jpg

So we pull the boat for the first time with this truck yesterday. It pulls better than my 2016 DRW 3500 High Country! We retrieve boat and on the way home I get a message "Trailer not Recognized". I unplug and re connect. I then get a warning to check right and left turn signals. WE check them and they work perfectly except the truck flashes them very fast. I have electric over hydraulic brakes on a very low mileage 2022 Amerattail high end "C" channel type boat trailer. After a couple miles I get "Trailer Disconnected" warning and brakes no longer function. I pull this trailer with my other vehicles with zero issues. All lights work, just turn signals flash rapidly and truck thinks they are not connected! This is very dangerous! I got up this morning and pulled the boat to my shop to stick in the wash bay so it can be cleaned tomorrow and everything works perfectly! I have all sealed LED's on the trailer with dedicated home run wiring to each light. As I said, all lights work perfectly but truck does not like something after trailer is submerged! Has anyone ran into this?

On another note, I have to give the truck credit. She pulls harder and much quieter than my tuned and deleted 2016 LML. My old heavily tuned 2006 2500 LBZ with stage 4 SunCoast transmission might give her a run for the money but the 06 is no where near as refined, smooth and easy to handle! I'll just be glad when I can fix this uncomfortable drivers seat so I don't have to sit on a 2" gel pad :LOL:

Picture for attention...

View attachment 13284
i wonder if trailer module needs replacement. early models had a recall.

Mine did the same thing first time hooked up.
I couldn't even back up. It wasn't releasing the brakes in reverse.
Said trailer disconnected.
I drove around the block. Shut truck off and checked all connections.
Started working. Been fine since then.
Have no idea.

Picture for attention...

View attachment 13284
I posted similar issues with one from jump street. The trailer function were fine but the DIC said no.

There were problems with brake controllers since April of 2023 when the first 24 HDs were delivered.

They plugged mine into their trailer simulator and could not repeat. No work was done. It did it less after that, but not sure it was resolved. I went in for another code and they did a TSB software update for parking brake. Hasn't acted up since then, but haven't towed much either.

The build date is Feb 2024. What is considered "earl model"?
Doesn't matter the vintage, you have to remember you're now driving a truck with the worst electronics ever installed in a vehicle. You should expect problems with this janky electronic system, some more than others. I'm 0-3. Also don't expect parts to be readily available, because people are still waiting weeks for electronic repairs.

Doesn't matter the vintage, you have to remember you're now driving a truck with the worst electronics ever installed in a vehicle. You should expect problems with this janky electronic system, some more than others. I'm 0-3. Also don't expect parts to be readily available, because people are still waiting weeks for electronic repairs.
If it does it again, I will install another plug and my own brake control. I don’t have a problem getting the required signals without using their janky system.

If it does it again, I will install another plug and my own brake control. I don’t have a problem getting the required signals without using their janky system.
I would have it looked at by the dealer first. All the gadgetry is controlled by complex software that GM can't make work. You splice into the system, it may introduce more problems than solutions. It's worth at least a trip or 3 to the dealer.

Yet we keep buying GM lol

I would have it looked at by the dealer first. All the gadgetry is controlled by complex software that GM can't make work. You splice into the system, it may introduce more problems than solutions. It's worth at least a trip or 3 to the dealer.
I will give them one shot at it. I am smart enough to make a harness without splicing their system...

The trailer brake controller issue was on trucks built before September 23. The main issue was if the trailers battery had higher state of charge then the truck. Mainly campers with solar or lithium batteries. But people were installing a diode on the charge circuit. But from what i read it didnt completely resolve the problem. So kind of seems like there was more to it than the house battery back feeding. Anyway, the trucks built after September are supposed to have the revised controller though. Mine was built in September and I've never had a problem. I've pulled 4 different trailers with mine.

The trailer brake controller issue was on trucks built before September 23. The main issue was if the trailers battery had higher state of charge then the truck. Mainly campers with solar or lithium batteries. But people were installing a diode on the charge circuit. But from what i read it didnt completely resolve the problem. So kind of seems like there was more to it than the house battery back feeding. Anyway, the trucks built after September are supposed to have the revised controller though. Mine was built in September and I've never had a problem. I've pulled 4 different trailers with mine.
Really three issues that I know of that may throw trailer codes. Mine was built early October 23 and has at least two of the issues.

Really three issues that I know of that may throw trailer codes. Mine was built early October 23 and has at least two of the issues.
Yeah I think basically it's just a bad brake controller. The fix is to replace it with the new part number. The back feeding for sure would trigger the trailer disconnect message and would disable the trailer brakes. But like I said even with a one way diode spliced into the charge wire. The problem would still come up, just much less often. I found a bunch of threads about the issue on other forums back before I purchased my HD. There is even a video on youtube where a guy disconnected the house batteries on a camper and the message went away. He reconnected the batteries and the message instantly popped up when he applied the brakes with the pedal.

I plugged our camper in and connected it to the truck at the same time to test if mine would do it. Just because I knew that was an easy way to test it out. With the house battery at a higher voltage then the truck, mine never did display the message or disable the brakes. So I guess they did fix it. My truck was built in 10/23

BTW I was wrong on the date. Its no September. Trucks built on or after 10/10/23 have the new controller
The service bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10243754-0001.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah I think basically it's just a bad brake controller. The fix is to replace it with the new part number. The back feeding for sure would trigger the trailer disconnect message and would disable the trailer brakes. But like I said even with a one way diode spliced into the charge wire. The problem would still come up, just much less often. I found a bunch of threads about the issue on other forums back before I purchased my HD. There is even a video on youtube where a guy disconnected the house batteries on a camper and the message went away. He reconnected the batteries and the message instantly popped up when he applied the brakes with the pedal.

I plugged our camper in and connected it to the truck at the same time to test if mine would do it. Just because I knew that was an easy way to test it out. With the house battery at a higher voltage then the truck, mine never did display the message or disable the brakes. So I guess they did fix it. My truck was built in 10/23

BTW I was wrong on the date. Its no September. Trucks built on or after 10/10/23 have the new controller
The service bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10243754-0001.pdf
I might have just missed the new controller. I am hoping to get some more towing in next week with three different trailers, so I hope I will know for sure if it was resolved, a fluke in software, or bad controller.

I might have just missed the new controller. I am hoping to get some more towing in next week with three different trailers, so I hope I will know for sure if it was resolved, a fluke in software, or bad controller.
You should be able to look up your exact build date in your order. If it was built on or after 10/10/23 you should be good hardware wise. But I'd guess since you have had that message pop up already, you probably have the previous controller. Yours also has the previous splash screen. Not sure if those things are related or not. Could be a good indicator for guys if they are. The brake controller deal effects the 23 and 24 model HDs.

Most Member Reactions

Back