Soundbars, what say you?

NullNomad

Reaction score
I know the battle of audio quality and brands will never end. Look at all the "Bose sucks in my truck" threads/comments. With that though, I'm looking at getting a soundbar for the living room. Don't need full on theater experience, thats in the game room and I'm good to go there. Looking for input from you guys on Sony vs Samsung vs anything type stuff. Experience and jaded opinions are more than welcome. Currently I'm using a Vizio M51AX-J6. It's ok, just not great for this size of room (will be donated to my son, so he's super excited lol ). Not to mention it REALLY does not get along with Sony, constant eARC disconnects and issues.

So without leading the witnesses on what I've researched so for, here's what I'm working with:
TV = Sony XR-85X90K
Room Dimensions = 28' x 20' (tv on the short side seating in the middle of the room)
Ceiling Height = 14'
Budget = ~ $1,500

I've got a Roku wireless system that sounds pretty dang good. It has a soundbar, sub and 4 satellite speakers. Sound is completely subjective, but I think it sounds pretty dang good. It's in a two story family room that's about 18' x 20' with 24'(ish) ceilings.

I've got a Roku wireless system that sounds pretty dang good. It has a soundbar, sub and 4 satellite speakers. Sound is completely subjective, but I think it sounds pretty dang good. It's in a two story family room that's about 18' x 20' with 24'(ish) ceilings.
I was an early adopter to the Sonos ecosystem, by happenstance yesterday ran across a bundle deal at a local A/V store so I picked up a Sonos Arc with a mini sub and two rears to give it a test run. So far it’s pretty impressive, but was much more than I wanted to spend.

I was wanting to take more time to settle this out, but I’ve done a lot of business over the past 25 years with them so I know the risk of return issues are low.

I have a Yamaha sound bar for my tv outside and even without a sub has great sound with good low end. Ive got a Samsung sound bar for one of my tv's inside and its pretty good considering the size(its very thin and something that was required). I listened to several sound bars when shopping for the one outside and found that the Polk was the best sounding of all of them. I would have purchased it, but it was wrong size for both of my applications. I would think for your budget, you could score a really nice setup.

I have a Yamaha sound bar for my tv outside and even without a sub has great sound with good low end. Ive got a Samsung sound bar for one of my tv's inside and its pretty good considering the size(its very thin and something that was required). I listened to several sound bars when shopping for the one outside and found that the Polk was the best sounding of all of them. I would have purchased it, but it was wrong size for both of my applications. I would think for your budget, you could score a really nice setup.
I still use my Yamaha YSP-5100 in the game room. Probably one of the most amazing sound panel/sound bar I’ve ever owned.

Most Member Reactions

Back