Rear Bags 1500 ZR2 3.0

NTXZR2

Reaction score
Only towing about 5k pounds 4 long trips a year looking to get rear bags any suggestions ? thx
1000023133.jpg

I have almost the same as 8ball: airlift non-trailboss with daystar cradles. I haven’t added onboard air yet.

I can tell you these ZR2 trucks need bags for towing anything more than a few thousand lbs due to the soft suspension. That's why they ride so great unloaded.

The 2500HD is no different. I finally did some heavy towing over 10k llbs. You can see how much it squatted. I had to have 75 lbs in my Air Ride Super Duty bags to get back to level. That's more than my previous 2500HDs.

I have a detailed post on install for 2500HD, but there are similarities with 1500, so may help you.

Attachments

• 20240609_094251.jpg
    20240609_094251.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 29
I can tell you these ZR2 trucks need bags for towing anything more than a few thousand lbs due to the soft suspension. That's why they ride so great unloaded.

The 2500HD is no different. I finally did some heavy towing over 10k llbs. You can see how much it squatted. I had to have 75 lbs in my Air Ride Super Duty bags to get back to level. That's more than my previous 2500HDs.

I have a detailed post on install for 2500HD, but there are similarities with 1500, so may help you.
Curious to know. Do the bags you added have enough travel to match the suspension?

Yes. I think I posted a picture of them fully extended. I have a detailed post with pictures.of install. I've only done a couple of heavy hauls, so haven't worked them too hard. They work great so far.

What bags and did you do a front level kit? I still haven’t found anyone who does the HD’s yet? Sorry if you have this in a post already. I’ve tried searching and canning find any details.

What bags and did you do a front level kit? I still haven’t found anyone who does the HD’s yet? Sorry if you have this in a post already. I’ve tried searching and canning find any details.
Search. “2500 bags” pulls up posts😀

Here's my post on the bags I used.

The 2500s use torsion bars with adjustable keys, you can just crank them a little to make it level. https://www.chevyzr2.com/threads/reset-torsion-keys.2150/#post-29286
Also I think 8_ball changed his bars out for a set from Cognito that rode smoother.

And if you use the airbag lower cradles instead of the mounts like some of us have it won’t limit down travel at all.

I'd definitely do the setup I did on my 1500. You don't need to do the onboard air deal. Especially if you only tow a few times a year. Easy enough to add air with the included Schrader valve. My setup was basically standard 1500 upper brackets, with trailboss bags. Along with Daystar cradles on the axle. The parts list is a little convoluted, but it will keep your ride quality and suspension travel the same with bags added. I tried just bolting on a couple different kits and the ride quality was noticeable worse.

Might be other options now as I did mine a couple years ago. But as far as I know, I don't think there is. I haven't added bags to my 2500 yet. So far, I haven't really felt the need. But I plan on getting around to it. Even if squat isn't a problem, they help a lot with handling while towing. Also just gives you the option if you hook up or load something that does squat you to much. Or if you get pompousing on the road. With bags you can just add a little air and fix it. Without bags it just is what it is.

Most Member Reactions

Back