Potential new HD owner - any signs of rock guard paint peeling?

PaulNY

Reaction score
Hello all, 2 years ago I purchased a new 1500 ZR2. The morning after, I noticed all 4 doors had paint peeling off at the bottom due to the soft rock chip guard textured paint application. Also, my hood scoop was also peeling paint at all 4 corners. The dealer took it back thankfully, and I drove 6 hours to Vermont to purchase another one just to find it had paint peeling issues as well. Just curious as I have yet to see a 2500 ZR2 at my local dealer, but do the new HD ZR2's also have the rock chip guard paint along the bottom of the doors? If so, any signs of poor paint application or chipping? I am considering either ordering one or driving some distance to look/purchase but don't want to run in to the paint fiasco issues again. The GMC AT4X does not have the rock chip paint at the bottom of the doors, but I prefer the looks of the 2500 ZR2. Any info is greatly appreciated.

have the rock chip guard paint along the bottom of the doors? If so, any signs of poor paint application or chipping? I am considering either ordering one or driving some distance to look/purchase but don't want to run in to the paint fiasco issues again. The GMC AT4X does not have the rock chip paint at the bottom of the doors, but I prefer the looks of the 2500 ZR2. Any info is greatly appreciated.
The Hd does have the Rock guard paint
Strip. The factory mud flap should have been 3 inch lower to block the gap running high GM steps. Paint is flimsy and without running boards I think I would have 10 times the chips.

Attachments

• IMG_4405.jpeg
    IMG_4405.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4407.jpeg
    IMG_4407.jpeg
    533.2 KB · Views: 43
The Hd does have the Rock guard paint
Strip. The factory mud flap should have been 3 inch lower to block the gap running high GM steps. Paint is flimsy and without running boards I think I would have 10 times the chips.
Ugh, ok, I was hoping it was smooth like the GMC. I hope they have improved their paint process for that rock guard area. After my fiasco 2 years ago, it makes me nervous because the fix at the time (according to the dealer) was completely remove, disassemble, and paint all 4 doors. I would hate to have that done to a brand-new truck.

Any signs of paint chipping along the bottom edges, both interior/exterior bottom of the doors? Does the paint still seem soft?

I have both and the paint is the same and soft as hell. I don't see them changing this for any reason.

You can add various forms of protection, but there isn't a permanent fix. If you want durability, then Line-X will take care of it, but you sacrifice the 'clean" look of a shiny new truck.

Ugh, ok, I was hoping it was smooth like the GMC. I hope they have improved their paint process for that rock guard area. After my fiasco 2 years ago, it makes me nervous because the fix at the time (according to the dealer) was completely remove, disassemble, and paint all 4 doors. I would hate to have that done to a brand-new truck.

Any signs of paint chipping along the

bottom edges, both interior/exterior bottom of the doors? Does the paint still seem soft?
I would def say that the rock guard area is better than my 2017 z71 was. I looked under the step and didnt see any damage below step but I have some chips and small hail sized dent where the mud guard and rear protection ended. Only on the smooth paint. If you travel on gravel a lot, the 35 inch hd tires are like rock magnets. Good mud flap and steps seem to really help. Smooth paint still seams flimsy.

Hello all, 2 years ago I purchased a new 1500 ZR2. The morning after, I noticed all 4 doors had paint peeling off at the bottom due to the soft rock chip guard textured paint application. Also, my hood scoop was also peeling paint at all 4 corners. The dealer took it back thankfully, and I drove 6 hours to Vermont to purchase another one just to find it had paint peeling issues as well. Just curious as I have yet to see a 2500 ZR2 at my local dealer, but do the new HD ZR2's also have the rock chip guard paint along the bottom of the doors? If so, any signs of poor paint application or chipping? I am considering either ordering one or driving some distance to look/purchase but don't want to run in to the paint fiasco issues again. The GMC AT4X does not have the rock chip paint at the bottom of the doors, but I prefer the looks of the 2500 ZR2. Any info is greatly appreciated.
I noticed a few. In the process of getting a full wrap on the truck. 💸

Honestly I had a few spots that “peeled” at the very bottom edge of the door(s) in small areas. Touched it up with base and clear. 2 years later looks the same.

The truth is if you look hard enough you will find a problem with any vehicle made.

Most people wash these trucks with a bristle brush or automatic washes (if they fit). Bugs all over the front and they etch the clear. Most paint imperfections are owner applied. I’m probably one of the few that hand wash my truck every week and go over it with detailer (I’m nuts I know) the paint on these trucks isn’t terrible overall. The bumper is going to chip. Period. But black touches up well. Much better than any other color.

Overall the quality is much improved from the 900 series.

People have to understand that the boo boo isn’t worth surgery. I struggle with that daily in the collision industry.

I've heard some of the horror stories, but I had a 1500 and now a 2500. My paint has been fine. I put 20k on the 1500 and I'm close to 7k on the HD. No issues with paint other then the 1500 had the chipping around the hood scoop.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Here is the link to my original post 2 years ago which shows how bad the paint was peeling on all 4 doors. Granted, this was a 1500 and not an HD, so maybe the application process is different at the Mexico plant vs Flint Michigan? Are any of you seeing the rock guard peel this bad on your HD ZR2's?

I've only seen chipping on my 1500 and plenty of it. The 2500HD seems to be a little better, but I only have 4k miles. I'm running some gravel roads now and when I get back on the pavement, the rocks shoot out like piss missiles, so I'm about to find out how good the paint is on the rockers and sides

I did drag my lower rocker a little crawling through some terrain. That fin that hangs down below doors got bent and had some rash. I bent it back and did some touch up work. That coating is very thick and flexible. It seems like it would resist chips and flaking petty well.

I would just get one and see how it goes.

Just got my wrap done. Nothing really to show as its clear. The texture on the lower side of the paint did make it hard for the installer. It'll probably shorten the life of the ppf too. Wish Chevy didn't do that to these trucks.

Just got my wrap done. Nothing really to show as its clear. The texture on the lower side of the paint did make it hard for the installer. It'll probably shorten the life of the ppf too. Wish Chevy didn't do that to these trucks.
The guy that did mine said he wouldn't apply it to the rockers on my 2500HD cause it didn't work too well on that heavier texture and everyone complained. I'm sure some of the material will work better.

Last edited:
The guy that did mine said he wouldn't apply it to the rockers cause it didn't work too well on that texture and everyone complained. I'm sure some of the material will work better.
He just said put it on there and when it falls off come back and he'd fix it because it'd just be the size of some scraps that he'd have lying around. seems like a pretty good dude.

Most Member Reactions

Back