No Satellite Layer on Google Maps app?

ZR2ftw

Reaction score
Good evening,

I have a 2022 Silverado ZR2 and the google app built in to the trucks screen doesn’t have the satellite layer for maps. My Apple CarPlay app does though? Any thoughts? I am subscribed to the $15 on star app services plan too.

As you can see from the pictures below… satellite layers works fine on my Apple CarPlay but not on the google maps app. I’ve tried clearing the storage and cache for the app on the truck to no avail. I’ve called on star and they were completely helpless.

My guess is I need an android phone…. Damn it.

Attachments

• IMG_5712.jpeg
    IMG_5712.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5711.jpeg
    IMG_5711.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 43
Good evening,

I have a 2022 Silverado ZR2 and the google app built in to the trucks screen doesn’t have the satellite layer for maps. My Apple CarPlay app does though? Any thoughts? I am subscribed to the $15 on star app services plan too.

As you can see from the pictures below… satellite layers works fine on my Apple CarPlay but not on the google maps app. I’ve tried clearing the storage and cache for the app on the truck to no avail. I’ve called on star and they were completely helpless.

My guess is I need an android phone…. Damn it.
my 22 dont have, never did. google nav blows. its on my android phone and i dont use android auto.

my 22 dont have, never did. google nav blows. its on my android phone and i dont use android auto.
It’s just frustrating that I can’t have satellite layers on the built in app that I am paying monthly for. So frustrating but I guess it’s back to CarPlay. Lol.

The built in system doesn't have satellite view unfortunately. Android auto does. It's basically the same Google system, so not sure why the built in doesn't have it. I don't use satellite view normally. It comes in handy sometimes though.

you are 100% correct. i miss GM embedded Nav. think they may be scrapping google for next model year???
Who knows, I am sure that they’ve received a ton of negative feedback about their system. I’m going to cancel my on star subscription bullshit plan today because I have no use for it now. Just gonna use Apple CarPlay.

I've used android auto for years, so maybe that's why I like the built in for the most part. My only complaints are the limited functionality. If it just did everything like android auto, it would be great. But just like the satellite view is missing. The apps are very limited. I switched to Spotify from Amazon music because the Amazon music app sucked and didn't work half the time. No Pandora app, no waze, no weather app, ect.

You also can't download playlists for off line listening. I mean thankfully I can just switch over to android auto for this stuff. But it's annoying that they are both basically the same google based systems. The built in is just missing a lot of stuff. On my 22 I just assumed it was a early version and they would add to it. But now I have a 24 and the 25s aren't far off. Sort of seems like android auto lite is just how it's going to be.

I've used android auto for years, so maybe that's why I like the built in for the most part. My only complaints are the limited functionality. If it just did everything like android auto, it would be great. But just like the satellite view is missing. The apps are very limited. I switched to Spotify from Amazon music because the Amazon music app sucked and didn't work half the time. No Pandora app, no waze, no weather app, ect.

You also can't download playlists for off line listening. I mean thankfully I can just switch over to android auto for this stuff. But it's annoying that they are both basically the same google based systems. The built in is just missing a lot of stuff. On my 22 I just assumed it was an early version and they would add to it. But now I have a 24 and the 25s aren't far off. Sort of seems like android auto lite is just how it's going to be.
It’s a shame if you ask me.

I don't use carplay/android auto because I don't want to rely on my phone, but yeah, the features for the native system are definitely lacking.

Most Member Reactions

Back