Exhaust tips, turnouts, etc., question

RCF71

Reaction score
Has any done anything besides adding a simple slip-on exhaust tip?

I ask because I was looking at something like the Mel’s 70 degree turnout but have read in a couple of places that its not recommended for 2024 trucks because it can set an exhaust tampering code (sounds crazy, but…). I don’t care for the angle (form or function) of the factory exhaust exit, so looking for something that both 1) looks better and 2) diverts the exhaust out at more of an angle and aways from my trailer(s).

I don't see anything affecting codes post cat. I like side exits with a slash tip.
Yeah, I’m with you, but I don’t wanna go cutting on it then have an issue and have to weld it back on. I did email them to see what they say, ‘cause I read the following post from last October on the Duramax forum -

“Haven’t done this yet But contacted the guys from Mel’s mfg and for some reason when installed on the 24 duramaxs it’s causing a check engine light. They are working on trying to figure out the issue. Just figured I’d post this up incase anyone with a 24 plans on doing this soon.”

Heard back from Mel’s…

“Hi xxxxx, there are a few factors in my answer to this one. From a fitment standpoint this tip will actually work on anything that has a 4” tailpipe to put it on. This does include the 2024 trucks however it is very important to note that GM has done something different with the very last sensor in their exhaust and any change or modification to the factory style tip now throws an error code. At this time there is no fix or solution for that so unfortunately, we do not recommend using this or any other aftermarket tip option on these newer trucks in their stock set up.”

I wanna do something with that ugly tailpipe, but don’t wanna deal with check engine lights (well, stored codes anyway)…

Most Member Reactions

Back