Doornail dead ZR2

Ole blue is home...heres the conclusion of its trip to the dealer...🤔🙄
Sounds to me like you may be getting a "chasse" :ROFLMAO: control module soon. Gotta love techs trying to spell things (Chassis). I doubt it's truly fixed, but I'm sure you'll share the saga if it continues. Happy you have your truck back!

Sounds to me like you may be getting a "chasse" :ROFLMAO: control module soon. Gotta love techs trying to spell things (Chassis). I doubt it's truly fixed, but I'm sure you'll share the saga if it continues. Happy you have your truck back!
I agree, I didn't really see a final determination or fix. But I guess if it works it works.

I had the weirdest thing happen on my wife's last Tahoe. The electrical was going total ape shit. Getting all kinds of codes (31 in total, including bad network codes), running rough, wouldn't start sometimes, wouldn't wake up, etc. Turns out the battery cables were corroded inside plastic sheathing, even though the terminals looked clean as a whistle and batteries never looked like they leaked. Too much impediince in one of the cables.

We don't get much in the way of corrosion around these parts, so i was suprised. I do an occasional rinse of moter, but don't thimk it was ever very wet.

I replaced both cables and the junction box on top of the battery for a mere $850. Ran just fine thereafter. Electrical is always a damn mystery.

I agree, I didn't really see a final determination or fix. But I guess if it works it works.

I had the weirdest thing happen on my wife's last Tahoe. The electrical was going total ape shit. Getting all kinds of codes (31 in total, including bad network codes), running rough, wouldn't start sometimes, wouldn't wake up, etc. Turns out the battery cables were corroded inside plastic sheathing, even though the terminals looked clean as a whistle and batteries never looked like they leaked. Too much impediince in one of the cables.

We don't get much in the way of corrosion around these parts, so i was suprised. I do an occasional rinse of moter, but don't thimk it was ever very wet.

I replaced both cables and the junction box on top of the battery for a mere $850. Ran just fine thereafter. Electrical is always a damn mystery.
I wouldn't have expected that in Arizona either! When I was a mechanic, back in the carburetor days, I used to see this occasionally. Any sort of a reduction in battery voltage can really wig out these computer controlled vehicles. Especially a poor ground!

I'm really not completely satisfied with the answers I have other than the brake controller issue...kinda worried that this might be a recurring problem,but I'm trying to be positive for now🤔

Reactions: AXE
This is what I think is happening to mine, but I don’t know what’s causing it. My dealership told me they couldn’t do a parasitic draw unless the battery was dead again. I was always under the impression you needed charge to see a draw but 🤷🏻‍♂️

They said mine was severely depleted on battery, they charged it and it wouldn’t die again over 10 days so they had me come get it. They told me “it sucks, but you have to wait and see if it dies again and then have it towed in. So far all of the weird electronic stuff including my auto start/stop only working once every 20-30 drives is resolved so maybe that’s all it was. No idea how. I don’t ever leave anything on, plus anything on turns off after like 20 minutes anyway. It died the first time after a week of sitting while on vacation in July of last year so it was warm and had no reason to be dead.

I’ll keep everybody updated if anything else happens.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth I currently have both tailgate release buttons disconnected inside the tailgate.

It seems when they get wet they continuously pop the tailgate on the truck until the battery dies. I have an appointment next Tuesday but it’s something to look at for you.

For what it’s worth I currently have both tailgate release buttons disconnected inside the tailgate.

It seems when they get wet they continuously pop the tailgate on the truck until the battery dies. I have an appointment next Tuesday but it’s something to look at for you.
I have not heard of this issue before...how is water getting into the tailgate switch?

thats crazy if its true. im in northeast where we have had several soaking days of rain. truck has been sitting. i started truck at 5:30 this morning and my seat would not stop vibrating. i did a walk around and didnt see anything obvious. i drove about 2 blocks and it stopped. Rain????

Clouds or a hose should not let water in to kill a switch. Something else is going on there ;)
thats crazy if its true. im in northeast where we have had several soaking days of rain. truck has been sitting. i started truck at 5:30 this morning and my seat would not stop vibrating. i did a walk around and didnt see anything obvious. i drove about 2 blocks and it stopped. Rain????
To be honest it’s from power washing.

And this is 40* tip and a reasonable distance to maintain pressure out of a 3000psi 2.5gpm unit. The button membranes are very weak.

These are the buttons themselves. The rest of the unit (cameras) are fine. Water gets under the rubber and continuously pops the gate until the truck dies. My lower one went a few weeks ago and walked out this morning to the multi gate unlatched and the truck completely dead.

At least with the lower one, I saw a light show in the driveway and was able to intervene.

To be honest it’s from power washing.

And this is 40* tip and a reasonable distance to maintain pressure out of a 3000psi 2.5gpm unit. The button membranes are very weak.

These are the buttons themselves. The rest of the unit (cameras) are fine. Water gets under the rubber and continuously pops the gate until the truck dies. My lower one went a few weeks ago and walked out this morning to the multi gate unlatched and the truck completely dead.

At least with the lower one, I saw a light show in the driveway and was able to intervene.
damn.....handwash may be in your future...good luck.

Maybe you need a new switch plate, seals might be bad around buttons. Seems like a strange problem with a new truck. Could be a long term nuisance for all.

I've blasted mine at least 5 times with a pressure washer. Probably 2 to 3 feet away. Mine hasn't been terribly dirty, so haven't gotten too close yet or held it in one position for any length of time.

Last edited:
Maybe you need a new switch plate, seals might be bad around buttons. Seems like a strange problem with a new truck. Could be a long term nuisance for all.

I've blasted mine at least 5 times with a pressure washer. Probably 2 to 3 feet away. Mine hasn't been terribly dirty, so haven't gotten too close yet or held it in o e position for any length of time.
i enjoy hearing you guys talk about how dirty your trucks get...im gonna assume from off roading and taking full advantage of the Z"s capabilities. i got my truck because its fast as hell and it hauls my quads. i love it.

Most Member Reactions

Back