Considering a new ZR2 with 6.2 V8

hey gloomy Gus šŸ¤ŒšŸ¤Œ
I'll tell you what makes me gloomy, my shitty infotainment system cutting out every 30 seconds. I'm heading back to the dealer for round 4. That system is a total POS. I've had 3 updates and none of them work for more than a short while, if at all.

Now another dealer telling me I have to pay to fix my shitty trailer brake/ connection on my 2500HD their simulator says there isn't a problem. I guess $95k doesn't cover warranty. What a POS electric/ software program these dickheads run.

I'll tell you what makes me gloomy, my shitty infotainment system cutting out every 30 seconds. I'm heading back to the dealer for round 4. That system is a total POS. I've had 3 updates and none of them work for more than a short while, if at all.

Now another dealer telling me I have to pay to fix my shitty trailer brake/ connection on my 2500HD their simulator says there isn't a problem. I guess $95k doesn't cover warranty. What a POS electric/ software program these dickheads run.
that blows bro.

Some lemon electronic shit there. Spark gremlins are a real pisser. Then they want to charge youšŸ¤£ On the bright side my dealer forgot to top off my Def tank at oil change time. I gave them a friendly call. Customer mixup. So they drove over and dropped 2 x 2.5 gallon new def containers at my front door. šŸ˜€

My advice to the OP would be continue doing research and filter out the emotion, go in with eyes wide open, and have fun with whatever decision.

Iā€™ve personally owned a 22 zr2 with the 6.2 v8 and a 24 zr2 with the 3.0 duramax. I traded the 22 with 12k miles and have 10k miles on the 24. Iā€™ll do my best here to give you honest thoughts overall. In short, both were very solid trucks and I had no problems outside of very few cosmetic issues.

I love the zr2 as much for what it IS and ISNā€™T. Meaning, itā€™s a tremendous truck for the things I want to use it for - daily driving, off road on hunting trips while hauling bird dogs and gear, on the farm doing general tasks, family rig, camping, hiking, climbing, etc. I didnā€™t want a wider platform like the Raptor as trails in the Midwest and mountains, where I find myself, can get tight. I personally didnā€™t need or want a supercharged v8ā€¦hella fun but just too hard to justify. I donā€™t pull anything with it, have HDs for all hauling needs. There are better half tons if you plan to push max weights towing very often.

So, putting hella fun and bad a$$ aside, I settled on the zr2 that met my actual needs in a truck thatā€™s super capable in those areas. Iā€™ve been extremely happy to date. I personally like the looks, probably wouldnā€™t be here if ya didnā€™t.

Both had some cosmetic issues - infotainment isnā€™t polished yet, they both cut out randomly, had to reboot them occasionally, etc. I like the system in general, cameras are stellar, etc but hoping they get it fine tuned sooner vs later. Itā€™s just a bit annoying at times.

The 24 gallon fuel tank is pretty small by todayā€™s standards vs the competition. The range per tank was ultimately why I traded (and tax reasons). I donā€™t think I save any money between gas and diesel even with the better mileage but the range is great for me.

I had paint chipping on the 22, dealer warrantied it and got the faux hood scoop / hood repainted. So far so good on the 24 paint wise.

The motorsā€¦and here is where folks can get emotional and even butt hurt. I had zero issues or complaints with the 6.2. I knew about the lifter problems going in (and I donā€™t care how emotional and butt hurt guys want to get here, there is a risk, even if itā€™s smallā€¦GM is replacing motors as theyā€™ve openly stated. Itā€™s not high numbers but itā€™s a reality, guys on the forum have drawn the short strawā€¦period. So to my point earlier, just be aware and make a decision that works for youā€¦I did and didnā€™t regret it as have many others.) I wanted an American v8 one last time and I enjoyed the snot out of it. Itā€™s fun, if you have fun itā€™s gas happy, but the smiles per gallon are worth it. As for the ā€œproblematic duramaxā€ per our local anti diesel member, you have to deal with emissions. And sensors go bad, they can plug DPF with short trips and idling (as with all modern diesels), the oil pump belt service interval of 200k, etc, etcā€¦go back to my eyes wide open comment, get what ya wantā€¦I am not going to point at something else to justify why my decision is betterā€¦again make your decision and let opinions be worth what they cost.

Just get what you want based on what meets your needs and wants. The overall zr2 platform has been a damn fine option for me and my needs - both gas and diesel.

Last edited:
My advice to the OP would be continue doing research and filter out the emotion, go in with eyes wide open, and have fun with whatever decision.

Iā€™ve personally owned a 22 zr2 with the 6.2 v8 and a 24 zr2 with the 3.0 duramax. I traded the 22 with 12k miles and have 10k miles on the 24. Iā€™ll do my best here to give you honest thoughts overall. In short, both were very solid trucks and I had no problems outside of very few cosmetic issues.

I love the zr2 as much for what it IS and ISNā€™T. Meaning, itā€™s a tremendous truck for the things I want to use it for - daily driving, off road on hunting trips while hauling bird dogs and gear, on the farm doing general tasks, family rig, camping, hiking, climbing, etc. I didnā€™t want a wider platform like the Raptor as trails in the Midwest and mountains, where I find myself, can get tight. I personally didnā€™t need or want a supercharged v8ā€¦hella fun but just too hard to justify. I donā€™t pull anything with it, have HDs for all hauling needs. There are better half tons if you plan to push max weights towing very often.

So, putting hella fun and bad a$$ aside, I settled on the zr2 that met my actual needs in a truck thatā€™s super capable in those areas. Iā€™ve been extremely happy to date. I personally like the looks, probably wouldnā€™t be here if ya didnā€™t.

Both had some cosmetic issues - infotainment isnā€™t polished yet, they both cut out randomly, had to reboot them occasionally, etc. I like the system in general, cameras are stellar, etc but hoping they get it fine tuned sooner vs later. Itā€™s just a bit annoying at times.

The 24 gallon fuel tank is pretty small by todayā€™s standards vs the competition. The range per tank was ultimately why I traded (and tax reasons). I donā€™t think I save any money between gas and diesel even with the better mileage but the range is great for me.

I had paint chipping on the 22, dealer warrantied it and got the faux hood scoop / hood repainted. So far so good on the 24 paint wise.

The motorsā€¦and here is where folks can get emotional and even butt hurt. I had zero issues or complaints with the 6.2. I knew about the lifter problems going in (and I donā€™t care how emotional and butt hurt guys want to get here, there is a risk, even if itā€™s smallā€¦GM is replacing motors as theyā€™ve openly stated. Itā€™s not high numbers but itā€™s a reality, guys on the forum have drawn the short strawā€¦period. So to my point earlier, just be aware and make a decision that works for youā€¦I did and didnā€™t regret it as have many others.) I wanted an American v8 one last time and I enjoyed the snot out of it. Itā€™s fun, if you have fun itā€™s gas happy, but the smiles per gallon are worth it. As for the ā€œproblematic duramaxā€ per our local anti diesel member, you have to deal with emissions. And sensors go bad, they can plug DPF with short trips and idling (as with all modern diesels), the oil pump belt service interval of 200k, etc, etcā€¦go back to my eyes wide open comment, get what ya wantā€¦I am not going to point at something else to justify why my decision is betterā€¦again make your decision and let opinions be worth what they cost.

Just get what you want based on what meets your needs and wants. The overall zr2 platform has been a damn fine option for me and my needs - both gas and diesel.
I appreciate the depth of your post. I'm just trying to make the most informed decision I can before I commit to a purchase. This post (like so many others) has been so valuable and helpful. It's always good to hear from people that have been/are owners. Thanks man!

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back