Chevrolet Shudder got me

hwprouty

Reaction score
It took 130,000 miles but my 2017 Z71 finally developed the Chevrolet Shudder. Holy cow, it was pretty quick and noticeable. I actually stopped and tried to tighten the lug nuts! ( They were fine ).
I talked to my dealer, records show I did the fluid change at 40,000 miles but none after that. ( That's on me ).
Gotta replace the trans now, truck is no good without a trans!
Anyone else go through this? I know millions have! But just curious...
I suppose I could trade it in on a ZR2 Bison, but still paying on my ZR2 Silverado! also I like my 2 door extended cab, no need for the 4 doors...

Well aware of that, I DO own a ZR2 as well as my Colorado Z71. I'll ask any questions as I see fit!
Ignore my post if it bugs you....
Another person being told he is wrong, but not being able to accept it...

It took 130,000 miles but my 2017 Z71 finally developed the Chevrolet Shudder. Holy cow, it was pretty quick and noticeable. I actually stopped and tried to tighten the lug nuts! ( They were fine ).
I talked to my dealer, records show I did the fluid change at 40,000 miles but none after that. ( That's on me ).
Gotta replace the trans now, truck is no good without a trans!
Anyone else go through this? I know millions have! But just curious...
I suppose I could trade it in on a ZR2 Bison, but still paying on my ZR2 Silverado! also I like my 2 door extended cab, no need for the 4 doors...
How much for a new transmission or reman?

FWIW, I think the service interval on the ZR2 10L80 transmission is now 25k miles. No easy process as their is no drain plug and the pan must be removed. The exhaust has to bee removed or loosened as well since it sits right under the pan.

How much for a new transmission or reman?

FWIW, I think the service interval on the ZR2 10L80 transmission is now 25k miles. No easy process as their is no drain plug and the pan must be removed. The exhaust has to bee removed or loosened as well since it sits right under the pan.
Dealer quoted just under $8,000 to replace it. I'm working with a local trans dude to see what he can do.
He has fixed a few of these, most recently a Camaro 8 speed. My mechanic friend can get me the trans for $5,000 direct from Chevy. We'll see...

Reactions: AXE
Dealer quoted just under $8,000 to replace it. I'm working with a local trans dude to see what he can do.
He has fixed a few of these, most recently a Camaro 8 speed. My mechanic friend can get me the trans for $5,000 direct from Chevy. We'll see...
Replacing the trans is never really the issue. It's towing it to a dealership to program it after you swap it if you plan on taking it on yourself or having a friend do it.

(insert old man rant about how theres too many electronics in our vehicles these days)

I find it odd there is no service interval for "normal" use for the transmission. The Wrangler was the same way. They called the fluid good for the life of the transmission.
There is a service interval on all of them and its sooner than you expect (30k miles on ZR2) every other time a filter. I drive in severe heat, so I'm doing mine well before that. Contact your dealer service advisor. Here's what mine said a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20241003_105553_Messages.jpg
    SmartSelect_20241003_105553_Messages.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
There is a service interval on all of them and its sooner than you expect (30k miles on ZR2) every other time a filter. I drive in severe heat, so I'm doing mine well before that. Contact your dealer service advisor. Here's what mine said a few weeks ago.
When I look in the manual there is only a 45k sever service listed.

Let me know how it goes!
Never said I would never change my fluid. That is just nuts. I was saying that in the manual it says 45K change interval vs the 30K you mentioned above.

Reactions: AXE
I never trust anything in the manual. There are plenty of errors and bullshit getting into those manuals. The 2500HD lists the wrong oil filter fer crissakes.

I've never figured out with transmission oil why everyone thinks it's magic. You can only run motor oil for 3-5k, but transmission oil for 50k? It's shot way before that IMO.

Without a dipstick on the ZR2, how do you even know what it looks or smells like? Could be fine, might look like carmel syrup. As soon as the weather cools off, I'm dumping mine.

I ran Transynd ($50 gallon, holds 5 gallons) in my previous Duramax and it was good for 50k. I never ran it past 35k and I could tell that it didn't look nearly as good as you would think with 15k left.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back