Bison Skid Plate and Fire Hazard

poordirtfarmer

Reaction score
I recently purchased a diesel ZR2 Bison edition. Had it for three weeks and less than 1,300 miles. I drove a couple of diesel Colorado ZR2's and a diesel Silverado Z71 before this Silverado ZR2. At around 1,300 miles I had a fire next to the DPF filter on top of the AEV transfer case skid plate that I think is only added on the Bison. I've heard that the DPF filter runs over 1,000 degrees during a regen. I have lots of trucks, tractors, sprayers, combines, pickups with DPF filters and have never had a fire. I got the fire out pretty quick but apparently it burned quite a few wires that run along the frame. When looking at the aev skid plate placement and how Chevy tucked the dpf filter on top of the skid plate it appears to be a fire hazard if a driver runs through any grass or crop residue (I'm a farmer) much over a foot and a half.

My service department filed a claim with GM product assistance and the claim was promptly denied because the truck was not in the same state as when the fire occurred (my authorized GM service department removed the skid plate to assess the damage.....not me). GM did not address the design issue at all (why would they?). Just wanted to give guys a heads-up to be careful driving a diesel Bison ZR2 through any grass or crop residue. The skid plate acts like a rake scooping up grass seed and other residue and leaving it on top of the skid plate to dry. The dpf filter then acts as an igniter during a regen sitting less than an inch (maybe even right next to) the dried grass/residue sitting on the skid plate. Not sure what I'm going to do with mine but just don't want anyone else to experience the same.

Attachments

• IMG_8564.jpg
    IMG_8564.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8620.jpg
    IMG_8620.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 38
That's some crazy shit, but I could easily see it happening. The holes in the skid don't seem to help much as the debris gets trapped along the edges and mounting surface.

I have the 2500HD, but I've pulled the skids a couple times for other maintenence and install work and there was plenty of rock, dirt, and sand in there. I was surprised to see so much shit trapped in spite of the holes.

I could easily see that to be a fire hazard for vegetation or woody material. I guess
I'll need to add a couple of extinguishers as I too drive in fields and pastures, occasionally in the desert and forest when camping.

That's some crazy shit, but I could easily see it happening. The holes in the skid don't seem to help much as the debris gets trapped along the edges and mounting surface.

I have the 2500HD, but I've pulled the skids a couple times for other maintenence and install work and there was plenty of rock, dirt, and sand in there. I was surprised to see so much shit trapped in spite of the holes.

I could easily see that to be a fire hazard for vegetation or woody material. I guess
I'll need to add a couple of extinguishers as I too drive in fields and pastures, occasionally in the desert and forest when camping.
Yes….carry fire extinguishers. I was lucky and wasn’t far from a water hydrant. I hadn’t even driven through much of any grass. And of course you don’t know when the truck is going to do a regen.

Damn
Sorry this happened to you man
I guess it wouldn't help if there was alot of grass built up in there, but this is one argument for aluminum skids- better heat dissipation

Damn
Sorry this happened to you man
I guess it wouldn't help if there was alot of grass built up in there, but this is one argument for aluminum skids- better heat dissipation
Thanks. Just can’t place a dpf filter close to where grass can be collected. Deere learned that years ago with their RX tractors and fixed the issue with a PIP.

Thanks. Just can’t place a dpf filter close to where grass can be collected. Deere learned that years ago with their RX tractors and fixed the issue with a PIP.
they had a huge issue in australia when VW first brought out their amarok pickup.
Dpf was low down and kept starting stubble fires on farms. Completely wrecked their sales

Check your frame coating after driving through tall grass for a while. I had to re-coat my frame due to high grass/hay rubbing all the frame coating off.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back