Tailgate Opens When Unlocked Pressed on Fob

Floriduramax1

Reaction score
I have noticed my tailgate has been open and I didn't open it. I just found out my tailgate opens when I press the unlock button on my key fob after truck has been locked for a period of time. It will do it a few times out of ten! I do not have the "Pro" tailgate. I have a standard tailgate. Anyone else ever see this?

I have noticed my tailgate has been open and I didn't open it. I just found out my tailgate opens when I press the unlock button on my key fob after truck has been locked for a period of time. It will do it a few times out of ten! I do not have the "Pro" tailgate. I have a standard tailgate. Anyone else ever see this?
Just curious, is it both fobs?

I tried it a couple more times since posting this and it didn’t open. It rained real hard and just now I go to leave the shop and sure enough, I hit the unlock button on my fob and tailgate opened! I don’t know if the rain is causing it or the fob but I will have the other fob tomorrow. I’m in Central Florida and it has been raining a lot on and off every day

New development! I auto started the truck to leave and when I walked out of the shop…tailgate open!! I just got home and now have my new never before used key fob and will be using it now. If I use the buttons on door handles or use the app, tailgate seems to stay closed! Stay tuned till tomorrow!!

I thought I was doing good with this truck and the electrical gremlins that others have had but now not so much 😡😡 I tried my never used before key fob to auto start truck and bam!! Lights under retractable step on drivers side are only lit in groups of three!! Seriously…you can’t make this up!! WTF is up with these trucks! I’m up to 2800 miles and this is the first time since 2006 I have had problems out of the gate with a new truck 😡

I attached pics of drivers side and passenger side…this is the first time I have seen this 😡😡

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpeg
    IMG_1814.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1813.jpeg
    IMG_1813.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 15
I thought I was doing good with this truck and the electrical gremlins that others have had but now not so much 😡😡 I tried my never used before key fob to auto start truck and bam!! Lights under retractable step on drivers side are only lit in groups of three!! Seriously…you can’t make this up!! WTF is up with these trucks! I’m up to 2800 miles and this is the first time since 2006 I have had problems out of the gate with a new truck 😡

I attached pics of drivers side and passenger side…this is the first time I have seen this 😡😡
Whoa whoa whoa. We are not allowed to complain about our trucks on this forum. Might ruffle some feathers 🪶

Here's the recall. I think this might be your issue. Also lots of threads about this since 2019 on GM Trucks forum. Many say corrosion on the wire connectors. Others say reprogrammed BCM solved issue.

Oh…I’m gonna “ruffle some feathers”..I’m a die hard Chevy truck fan from WAY back! What we have here is total bull shite 😡😡
Yeah, but you said I couldn't complain about my crooked ass bumper. Now we're kindred spirits cause your truck is as bad as mine.....LOL.

I'm still having tow warning messages pop every trailer I connect to. The last dealer I talked to told me I would have to pay for the fix if it didn't show a problem on their simulator. I said it's the fourth trailer, how could it not be the truck.......LMFAO. I'm just gonna replace the harness myself. GM sucks 5 years running. The last good truck they made rolled off the line in 2018.

Here's the recall. I think this might be your issue. Also lots of threads about this since 2019 on GM Trucks forum. Many say corrosion on the wire connectors. Others say reprogrammed BCM solved issue.

Mine only opens..occasionally..when I hit a button on the fob. It does not open if I use the buttons on the handles or my phone app.

Yeah, but you said I couldn't complain about my crooked ass bumper. Now we're kindred spirits cause your truck is as bad as mine.....LOL.

I'm still having tow warning messages pop every trailer I connect to. The last dealer I talked to told me I would have to pay for the fix if it didn't show a problem on their simulator. I said it's the fourth trailer, how could it not be the truck.......LMFAO. I'm just gonna replace the harness myself. GM sucks 5 years running. The last good truck they made rolled off the line in 2018.
That’s not what I said I commented on how many times you posted and asked folks about a crooked bumper! Body lines being off and crooked body components are very common and easy to fix. These funky azz electrical gremlins are a different story! Funny that you mentioned the trailer issue. I had that issue with my boat trailer and then all was good. Today I had to take my 32’ triple axle car hauler (37’ overall) to the scales to get a registration and all was good. Until it wasn’t!! Several people came to my office and asked if I might be sitting on my fob because they said they saw the rear lights of the trailer coming on and off occasionally. I thought nothing of it until I was walking across the shop and noticed out of the corner of my eyes a flashing of the trailer lights. My key fob was on my desk!! It’s weird how this truck started its downhill descent just this week! I have really liked it other than the hard azz seat until today 😡😡

Reactions: AXE
That’s not what I said I commented on how many times you posted and asked folks about a crooked bumper! Body lines being off and crooked body components are very common and easy to fix. These funky azz electrical gremlins are a different story! Funny that you mentioned the trailer issue. I had that issue with my boat trailer and then all was good. Today I had to take my 32’ triple axle car hauler (37’ overall) to the scales to get a registration and all was good. Until it wasn’t!! Several people came to my office and asked if I might be sitting on my fob because they said they saw the rear lights of the trailer coming on and off occasionally. I thought nothing of it until I was walking across the shop and noticed out of the corner of my eyes a flashing of the trailer lights. My key fob was on my desk!! It’s weird how this truck started its downhill descent just this week! I have really liked it other than the hard azz seat until today 😡😡
I have only had mine work correctly with my boat trailer. I suspect because it has surge brakes. I've had random shit on four other trailers, all different.

Mine seemed better right after they did the TSB on the parking brake sensor, but its doing other shit now.

They had early issues with the brake controllers, trailer harness is a common one. BCM might be sketchy or need reprogramming.

You'll wish you had a crooked bumper to fix to take your mind off things. By the way, AEV stopped answering my bumper emails. I suspect they didn't want to admit fault, so they just went dark. They can suck it too.

I have only had mine work correctly with my boat trailer. I suspect because it has surge brakes. I've had random shit on four other trailers, all different.

Mine seemed better right after they did the TSB on the parking brake sensor, but its doing other shit now.

They had early issues with the brake controllers, trailer harness is a common one. BCM might be sketchy or need reprogramming.

You'll wish you had a crooked bumper to fix to take your mind off things. By the way, AEV stopped answering my bumper emails. I suspect they didn't want to admit fault, so they just went dark. They can suck it too.
My boat trailer uses more of the trailer plug than my upscale ATC car hauler does! My boat trailer has electric over hydraulic brakes AND has reverse lights! It’s strange that the lights didn’t flash on my boat trailer out of the blue but my enclosed car hauler randomly flashes its lights!! There is something “going on” here and it’s not just some random ”software bug”!! As much as I like this truck, we are about to part ways! I’m starting to regret selling my 2016 (bought new) tuned and deleted 3500 drw High Country and giving my son my 2006 2500 LBZ that I bought new when I took delivery of this beautiful turd!!

I love mine, I'm finally getting some use out of it and it's a helluva rig. But I've got three rigs with this latest generation software/electronics and they all have some issues.

I've done two cross country trips with two of them and they've never let me down. However, it's the first time I've ever actually actually thought about it on the road. I am supposed to do a 1500 mile tow soon and I'm not sure what will happen.

All the errors I get in the DIC the functions actually seem to work fine on the trailer. That's why I think it might be software or BCM related.

I was getting a lot of trailer connected/disconnected messages on my utility trailer, sometimes several in a few minutes. I can only assume the trailer lights were flashing when the message flashed across the DIC, just like you described today.

Last edited:
Well it does the same thing with the never used before new fob. It dropped when I auto started with the fob. The interesting thing is, I just noticed the button on the tailgate handle won’t do anything! So when I hit unlock on fob it drops the tailgate but not every time. When I auto start from fob it drops tailgate but not every time. Hitting auto start locks the vehicle. Now I’m just wondering since the button on handle is not working, maybe the switch is wet and whatever locks that button out actually sends open signal when it locks or unlocks. Very strange!

Edit: removed switch and it’s full of water😡😡 Blew it out but switch still shows shorted! Left unplugged and will have to go to dealer 😡😡

Last edited:
I’ve found on my last two Chevy trucks that if I didn’t use auto start I avoided weird stuff from happening.

Most Member Reactions

Back