Rearview Mirror Tap

Kurt G

Reaction score
Has anyone tapped in to the rearview mirror for a radar detector (or camera)? Any issues and/guidance you can provide?

Thank you.

I used this one because I wanted plug and play. A little pricey unless you want to break out the volt meter.

I used this one because I wanted plug and play. A little pricey unless you want to break out the volt meter.

Pricey is an understatement :oops: I realize it works, but what a RIP off for a $25 harness at best. You can very easily use a $10 cord off Amazon and a fuse tap. It's Super easy to get to the fuse panel and make the connection. All for under $20. This is what I did to mine. Basically a 10-15 minute job to head across the headliner and down the A-pillar to the passenger side fuse panel.

Pricey is an understatement :oops: I realize it works, but what a RIP off for a $25 harness at best. You can very easily use a $10 cord off Amazon and a fuse tap. It's Super easy to get to the fuse panel and make the connection. All for under $20. This is what I did to mine. Basically a 10-15 minute job to head across the headliner and down the A-pillar to the passenger side fuse panel.

Any reason you didn't tap in to the rearview mirror vs running down the a-pillar?

Any reason you didn't tap in to the rearview mirror vs running down the a-pillar?
I just don't care for mirror tapping and the cost to fuse tap it is only about $15 to run it to the fuse panel and about 10 minutes of time. Take two 10mm bolts out of the A-Pillar, pull it away...route the wire from the mirror across the headliner down the A-Pillar and right into the fuse panel. Literally about 10-15 minutes and you're done.

Has anyone tapped in to the rearview mirror for a radar detector (or camera)? Any issues and/guidance you can provide?

Thank you.
Mangoal Front 4K & Rear 1080P... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKKNPY7K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I installed this one today, there are a few other OEM integrated cameras and radar detectors that come with harnesses, like Camfit and Mongoal. The Mongoal comes with 4 options (temp sensor, mirror dimmer, parking mode - OBD, fuse tap) I used the fuse tap for parking mode.

Mangoal Front 4K & Rear 1080P... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKKNPY7K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I installed this one today, there are a few other OEM integrated cameras and radar detectors that come with harnesses, like Camfit and Mongoal. The Mongoal comes with 4 options (temp sensor, mirror dimmer, parking mode - OBD, fuse tap) I used the fuse tap for parking mode.
I just installed the same exact camera in my 24 HD to try it out. So far, I really like it and love the OEM look. Bought the Parking Mode cable and easily ran it to the fuse panel.

I just installed the same exact camera in my 24 HD to try it out. So far, I really like it and love the OEM look. Bought the Parking Mode cable and easily ran it to the fuse panel.

Added to the cart, thanks guys! I've been kicking back and forth what I was going to do for a dashcam.

Be aware, some dealer on here denied a warranty claim for a failed Onstar module due to this.
1724071205922.png

I bought the gen5diy. Made it easy compared to having to use a mirror tap. Piece of mind I wasn’t going to screw something up.
In my books, the GEN5 is a mirror tap, just without the pins. A WAAAAAY overpriced harness that yields the same results.

Thanks for this thread Guys, I have just ordered one too. Ended up being $AUD460. Locally I could not get one with similar functionality for under $AUD 1k so stoked.

J

Most Member Reactions

Back