Rain Etched Windows

Start with the Vinegar, Clay bar,good andvi too. Also go to Griots Garage and check out some glass cleaning products with the clay, You can buy on Auto Geek too.Try the detail site Autopia.com Read around. go to your local detail shop and do some talking,, they may be reasonably priced too. Depending on the etching, if that’s what it is, a careful approach is advised here. You eff up your glass you will not be happy from a quick decision
As mentioned pics if able

Start with the Vinegar, Clay bar,good andvi too. Also go to Griots Garage and check out some glass cleaning products with the clay, You can buy on Auto Geek too.Try the detail site Autopia.com Read around. go to your local detail shop and do some talking,, they may be reasonably priced too. Depending on the etching, if that’s what it is, a careful approach is advised here. You eff up your glass you will not be happy from a quick decision
As mentioned pics if able
You don't need any of that stuff. That stuff I posted works extremely well.

Thanks for all the replies. Trying to find something I can source local if possible. I’m scheduled to have her tinted on Saturday but want to make sure I can get this fixed prior to that. That way I know if I need new glass or I’m gtg to get the tint done.

Thanks for all the replies. Trying to find something I can source local if possible. I’m scheduled to have her tinted on Saturday but want to make sure I can get this fixed prior to that. That way I know if I need new glass or I’m gtg to get the tint done.
Good luck! If I were you, I would postpone the tint until you can get it done right. No rush for tint.

Good luck! If I were you, I would postpone the tint until you can get it done right. No rush for tint.
If I cannot source anything local, I'll have to. I wont tint it til I know its good to go for sure. I hate wasting money lol. I sure wont leave the windows like this. I can handle the chips in the windshield. But those side glasses may have to go if nothing will fix them.

I’ve never heard of that company, but that a good one step to try to solve that problem
I have both and have used both and they work great. However, with that being said, I don't know how bad the water spots are on your truck and no chemicals will help with etched glass if it's truly etched. It will have to be completely repolished.

X2 on the fine steel wool, in the past that has been my go to; spray foaming glass cleaner on and then scrub with the steel wool before wiping off.

I’ve recently been using this to remove hard water spots: https://shinesupply.com/products/glass-polish

Be careful using a polisher on the glass, it can be difficult to maintain a flat surface and creating ripples in the glass will pretty much ruin it.

I like this stufff for water stains and spots. I've only used it on boats, RVs and sxs tho. Would be fine on glass or plastic, not sure about paint.

DUCKY PRODUCTS Original Water Spot Remover: Spray for Boat, Car, Motorcycle & RV Exterior Detailing, 32 oz https://a.co/d/7U8WZsd

Last edited:
Not sure if you can see it too well but this is the rear driver's side window. The front one is a bit better in the center since using the old bottle of Rain X Xtreme Clean. Looks like the passenger side of the truck isnt as bad. Makes me wonder if it was parked where the sprinklers just constantly went on it and it just sat there.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpeg
    IMG_0950.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 17
Not sure if you can see it too well but this is the rear driver's side window. The front one is a bit better in the center since using the old bottle of Rain X Xtreme Clean. Looks like the passenger side of the truck isnt as bad. Makes me wonder if it was parked where the sprinklers just constantly went on it and it just sat there.
Hard water causes etching in paint and glass. It’s possible for rain to etch if there is fallout from a refinery. Sprinklers can wreck a the paint if it set there long enough.

Hard water causes etching in paint and glass. It’s possible for rain to etch if there is fallout from a refinery. Sprinklers can wreck a the paint if it set there long enough.
Well I am hoping it’s not wrecked for sure. Hoping the paint will just buff out. The windows I can deal with by replacing if I had to. Can’t really do that with the paint.

forget the paint, just wrap it!
View attachment 15633

and yes I think this is hideous!
Very hideous. I like the coloring now. Plus wrapping is expensive when you need to do it every few years. Florida heat kills almost everything lol.

I did decide though, if I cannot get this back to normal, I’d replace them one by one and just use the money I have now for exhaust instead of tint lol.

I would try that Ducky. Can get it at some automotive stores and marine stores.

I would try that Ducky. Can get it at some automotive stores and marine stores.
Haven’t given up yet. Just can’t try more til after work. A glass shop mentioned amaz too.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back