Pop When Backing out of Garage

Byrds8

Reaction score
Over the last few days I can hear a single pop when I back out of the garage. I have to back around the wife's Jeep that sits in the drive way so I am turning the wheel also. I cannot replicate this every time I back up. Today though, when pulling into the drive, I turned a bit sharper than normal and heard the same single pop. Anyone ever come across this? If so, where should I look to see what is going on. I know if I tell the dealership they are going to say they couldnt replicate it and nothing will change. Thanks.

Over the last few days I can hear a single pop when I back out of the garage. I have to back around the wife's Jeep that sits in the drive way so I am turning the wheel also. I cannot replicate this every time I back up. Today though, when pulling into the drive, I turned a bit sharper than normal and heard the same single pop. Anyone ever come across this? If so, where should I look to see what is going on. I know if I tell the dealership they are going to say they couldnt replicate it and nothing will change. Thanks.
Yes. From the passenger side turning left moving forward or backwards. Don’t know what it is yet or if it even something to be worried about.

Least I am not alone. Not sure if it's something to worry about either. But I hate random noises I cannot identify that shouldn't be there lol.

Guess today I noticed it when I turned back to the right after getting out of the driveway. Funny though, it only happens the one time. I cannot recreate it after that til I leave again at some point. Since I recently had an alignment done, I am going back to Discount Tire and have them recheck their tightening of everything.

Guess today I noticed it when I turned back to the right after getting out of the driveway. Funny though, it only happens the one time. I cannot recreate it after that til I leave again at some point. Since I recently had an alignment done, I am going back to Discount Tire and have them recheck their tightening of everything.
Let us know what happens. I did not notice until after my alignment as well.

So, the alignment shop said everything was fine. They did see where the steering knuckle was hitting the lower control arm at full lock. Not sure how long that has gone own since I am not the original owner. You'd think it would stop before hitting it though. This is also not what causes the sound as when I turn the wheel all the way, I dont hear it hit squat.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1026.jpeg
    IMG_1026.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 22
Normally the knuckle does come in contact with the LCA at full lock. Otherwise you risk ripping the tie rods out of the rack. At full lock the rack goes into bypass and removes hydraulic pressure. But you still need a physical stop to keep you from turning the wheel.

Yours is making very aggressive contact or made aggressive contact from external force. I would bet the latter from the previous owner.

There’s no “noise” to be made as those parts do not articulate from each other. They operate no different than an elbow.

If I had to start making guesses at your issue, I’d point to the LCA bushings.

Well mine is popping too and I have never made aggressive contact…my mechanic has it now performing phase 2 of larger tires. I asked him to take a look and will report back.

Normally the knuckle does come in contact with the LCA at full lock. Otherwise you risk ripping the tie rods out of the rack. At full lock the rack goes into bypass and removes hydraulic pressure. But you still need a physical stop to keep you from turning the wheel.

Yours is making very aggressive contact or made aggressive contact from external force. I would bet the latter from the previous owner.

There’s no “noise” to be made as those parts do not articulate from each other. They operate no different than an elbow.

If I had to start making guesses at your issue, I’d point to the LCA bushings.
Gotcha. At least now I know the knuckle is the physical stop lol. Guess that makes sense. Well looks like I’ll just be asking the dealership. I’m guessing they will say cannot duplicate. We shall see though.

Most Member Reactions

Back