Lifter Tap?

Byrds8

Reaction score
I get an occasional tapping when first starting up in the mornings. It isnt loud and doesnt sound like the injectors. It's never there when the vehicle is warmed up. It's also not very rhythmic to go along with any other sound. I know today I heard it do it once or twice after starting it up to go get the kids from school. Would this be a lifter going bad? Its running has not changed.

I get an occasional tapping when first starting up in the mornings. It isnt loud and doesnt sound like the injectors. It's never there when the vehicle is warmed up. It's also not very rhythmic to go along with any other sound. I know today I heard it do it once or twice after starting it up to go get the kids from school. Would this be a lifter going bad? Its running has not changed.
Trade it in...NOW!

If it is a consistent tick/tap that doesn’t follow the “rhythm” of engine RPM, high pressure fuel pump. Normal and can be pretty noisy on start up if the vehicle is on concrete.

Reactions: AXE
It’s not with the rhythm of the engine but it is very occasional. The first time I actually heard it was when I chalked the tires. Was in the low 50s and it wasn’t warmed up. A tap here or there then I started listening when I first started it in the mornings.

With any luck that motor smokes and you get a new one before warranty expires. It's like you bought a new truck then for a great price, albeit some down time.

So odds are it is a lifter? I mean with 23k on it is not like its an old motor now.

I'm just shitting you, but if you bought used and the motor tanked before warranty, it ain't the worst thing to happen.
I figured you were since you own one or two :)

It wouldnt be the end of the world but I sure wouldnt like it. I personally hope its just a random noise lol.

Some time next year, I plan on getting the extended warranty so I'll have a bit more piece of mind.

Last edited:
Don't put yourself in the same boat as AXE, he has guac money to wipe his bunghole with. We are mear peasants here

Wouldn’t dream of it lol. I’m just a poor boy. Why do you think I went used vs new. 75-80k is a bit rich for my blood. Plus I was a bit upside down on the Wrangler I traded in lol.
Not to mention paying for the wife’s wrangler.

My 2022 is for sale with only 12k miles. Mine has all the same problems everyone else does except the motor runs good, the tensmission is smooth like butta, and the suspension is great.

Reactions: KLA
My 2022 is for sale with only 12k miles. Mine has all the same problems everyone else does except the motor runs good, the tensmission is smooth like butta, and the suspension is great.
That's funny. My 22 also has 12k miles and is black.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back