Opinions on Tires - Factory Replacement size

It’s not that I’m looking to increase my mileage just not looking to throw something on so heavy that it tanks further lol.

I like a decent looking aggressive tire.
You can look back at some of my posts. I can get 22 mpg with my heavy 295 10 PR Toyo RT Trails in the right conditions. Mileage has very little to do with tires, but a lot more to do with driving conditions and driving habits.

I've found the ZR2 to perform the best when I'm getting 5 mpg creeping around the desert trails or pulling 10 mpg hammer down smoking "fast" cars driven by slow drivers. But I did 3000 mile round trip last fall and it did great cruising on the highway 65-85 mph.

This is what the Toyo RTs look like new and after 12k just took this picture a few minutes ago. You can see that there is maybe 1 mm of wear on the lug surface and maybe 2 mm on the edges of the lugs. Two rotations at 5k and 10k.

They are only $400 each, so the least expensive tires you can buy. Why you haven't already ordered them is beyond me.

Attachments

• 20230221_133000.jpg
    20230221_133000.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230221_133226.jpg
    20230221_133226.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240927_105437.jpg
    20240927_105437.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 18
Ya know I always told the unsprung weight of the tires did have an affect. It’s why I always have looked for the lightest I could find. If that’s wrong I’ll just get what I want lol

Reactions: AXE
Ya know I always told the unsprung weight of the tires did have an affect. It’s why I always have looked for the lightest I could find. If that’s wrong I’ll just get what I want lol
This isn't a motocross or drag bike where ounces count.

I didn't notice the weight difference on mine, but I suppose it was 10-12 lbs per tire. That's not much when you consider your gas weighs 8 lbs a gallon, so about 8 gallons worth of weight on a rig that weighs 5300 lbs.

This isn't a motocross or drag bike where ounces count.

I didn't notice the weight difference on mine, but I suppose it was 10-12 lbs per tire. That's not much when you consider your gas weighs 8 lbs a gallon, so about 8 gallons worth of weight on a rig that weighs 5300 lbs.
Yes, I understand we arent dragging the trucks where ounces count.

From what I was told though, in general, rotational mass isnt the same as static mass. Is this not correct?

Granted, when I was told all this, I had a tuned Camaro and had an extremely light weight tire/wheel combo :)

Yes, I understand we arent dragging the trucks where ounces count.

From what I was told though, in general, rotational mass isnt the same as static mass. Is this not correct?

Granted, when I was told all this, I had a tuned Camaro and had an extremely light weight tire/wheel combo :)
It does, but sometimes it's not enough of a difference to make a difference!

Gotcha. So the 10lbs on the tires don’t really bother this truck one way or the other
Only difference I felt was that I thought they wanted to push a little in higher speed corners 65-75 mph and I thought they wandered a bit on some pavement. I checked my alignment and it was in spec, but I had them make a couple minor tweeks. Then it drove perfectly. Probably more to do with the change in geometry of the new wheel/tire than any issue with the size or weight.

Only difference I felt was that I thought they wanted to push a little in higher speed corners and I thought theybl wandered a bit. I checked my alignment and it was in spec, but I had them make a couple minor tweeks. Then it drove perfectly. Probably more to do with the change in geometry of the new wheel/tire than any issue with the size or weight.
Gotcha. Thanks Axe. Guess I’ll stop caring about the weight then.

I think if you pick a similar design Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Mickey T, Nitto, Falken, etc, they will be similar weight and you'll never know the difference.

I like the look of the older Falken WP, as I think they look more off road oriented. They did great on my boys Tacoma.

I think if you pick a similar design Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Mickey T, Nitto, Falken, etc, they will be similar weight and you'll never know the difference.

I like the look of the older Falken WP, as I think they look more off road oriented. They did great on my boys Tacoma.
Thanks for the advice. Whichever I go with they just have to be better in the wet that these GY and not so noisy.

Thanks for the advice. Whichever I go with they just have to be better in the wet that these GY and not so noisy.
I drove in this torrential downpour on my stock Goodyear MTs in my 2500HD on the highway outside of town and didn't miss a beat. At one point, I had to slow down to about 15 mph, so I could feel the ditch, cause I couldn't see past the end of my hood. I've only driven about 300 miles on them in my 1500 and 6500 miles in my 2500HD, but I'd give them a 9.5/10 so far.

Attachments

• 20240814_175537.jpg
    20240814_175537.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
These on this truck spin on take off with the lightest touch of the throttle. When stopping they will slide once in a while also.

These on this truck spin on take off with the lightest touch of the throttle. When stopping they will slide once in a while also.
What air pressure? If they are that bad, I wouldn't run them another mile. There is something wrong with the compound. Maybe have them warrantied at a Goodyear Tire Center or authorized dealer.

What air pressure? If they are that bad, I wouldn't run them another mile. There is something wrong with the compound. Maybe have them warrantied at a Goodyear Tire Center or authorized dealer.
35 cold. They seem fine on the dry it’s just the wet. Had them balanced and rotated and the wear is good for 23k miles on them.

I don't own a ZR2 - yet. I've been looking. But the one thing that turned my wife off completely was the amount of noise. Even I found it rather noisy. Part of that can be attributed to the Borla after-market exhaust installed on the truck I drove. But the stock MTs contributed significantly. They also contributed to a rather rough ride.
As a result, I was interested in this string. I was hoping that someone might have tried the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. I've had 2 or 3 sets of those, including on an Avalanche Z71, and they were quiet, smooth and responsive. They're not as hard-core off-road as the MTs. But, if you're not doing any serious rock-crawling, they should meet most of your needs. I've taken them down trails and across rocky creek beds with no issue. I'd also be interested to see if anyone has tried the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT or the Michelin LTX A/T 2.
Just an update - I bought the truck pictured in my avatar. It's a great truck, except for Google, which I've remarked on in another thread. The stock tires aren't too bad. But still a bit noisy and not all that smooth. However, after buying the truck, a new set of tires is kind of spendy at this time, particularly since my Corvette needs them worse. When I do buy, I'll probably go with the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Either those or the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back