Opinions on Tires - Factory Replacement size

It’s not that I’m looking to increase my mileage just not looking to throw something on so heavy that it tanks further lol.

I like a decent looking aggressive tire.
You can look back at some of my posts. I can get 22 mpg with my heavy 295 10 PR Toyo RT Trails in the right conditions. Mileage has very little to do with tires, but a lot more to do with driving conditions and driving habits.

I've found the ZR2 to perform the best when I'm getting 5 mpg creeping around the desert trails or pulling 10 mpg hammer down smoking "fast" cars driven by slow drivers. But I did 3000 mile round trip last fall and it did great cruising on the highway 65-85 mph.

This is what the Toyo RTs look like new and after 12k just took this picture a few minutes ago. You can see that there is maybe 1 mm of wear on the lug surface and maybe 2 mm on the edges of the lugs. Two rotations at 5k and 10k.

They are only $400 each, so the least expensive tires you can buy. Why you haven't already ordered them is beyond me.

Attachments

• 20230221_133000.jpg
    20230221_133000.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230221_133226.jpg
    20230221_133226.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240927_105437.jpg
    20240927_105437.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 7
Ya know I always told the unsprung weight of the tires did have an affect. It’s why I always have looked for the lightest I could find. If that’s wrong I’ll just get what I want lol

Reactions: AXE
Ya know I always told the unsprung weight of the tires did have an affect. It’s why I always have looked for the lightest I could find. If that’s wrong I’ll just get what I want lol
This isn't a motocross or drag bike where ounces count.

I didn't notice the weight difference on mine, but I suppose it was 10-12 lbs per tire. That's not much when you consider your gas weighs 8 lbs a gallon, so about 8 gallons worth of weight on a rig that weighs 5300 lbs.

This isn't a motocross or drag bike where ounces count.

I didn't notice the weight difference on mine, but I suppose it was 10-12 lbs per tire. That's not much when you consider your gas weighs 8 lbs a gallon, so about 8 gallons worth of weight on a rig that weighs 5300 lbs.
Yes, I understand we arent dragging the trucks where ounces count.

From what I was told though, in general, rotational mass isnt the same as static mass. Is this not correct?

Granted, when I was told all this, I had a tuned Camaro and had an extremely light weight tire/wheel combo :)

Reactions: AXE
Yes, I understand we arent dragging the trucks where ounces count.

From what I was told though, in general, rotational mass isnt the same as static mass. Is this not correct?

Granted, when I was told all this, I had a tuned Camaro and had an extremely light weight tire/wheel combo :)
It does, but sometimes it's not enough of a difference to make a difference!

Gotcha. So the 10lbs on the tires don’t really bother this truck one way or the other
Only difference I felt was that I thought they wanted to push a little in higher speed corners 65-75 mph and I thought they wandered a bit on some pavement. I checked my alignment and it was in spec, but I had them make a couple minor tweeks. Then it drove perfectly. Probably more to do with the change in geometry of the new wheel/tire than any issue with the size or weight.

Only difference I felt was that I thought they wanted to push a little in higher speed corners and I thought theybl wandered a bit. I checked my alignment and it was in spec, but I had them make a couple minor tweeks. Then it drove perfectly. Probably more to do with the change in geometry of the new wheel/tire than any issue with the size or weight.
Gotcha. Thanks Axe. Guess I’ll stop caring about the weight then.

I think if you pick a similar design Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Mickey T, Nitto, Falken, etc, they will be similar weight and you'll never know the difference.

I like the look of the older Falken WP, as I think they look more off road oriented. They did great on my boys Tacoma.

I think if you pick a similar design Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Mickey T, Nitto, Falken, etc, they will be similar weight and you'll never know the difference.

I like the look of the older Falken WP, as I think they look more off road oriented. They did great on my boys Tacoma.
Thanks for the advice. Whichever I go with they just have to be better in the wet that these GY and not so noisy.

Most Member Reactions

Back