Is there any way to 'degoogle' my ZR2?

KCPhil

Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with this truck. I love the way it looks, the way it drives and its capabilities. But Google makes me hate this truck. I refuse to pay a monthly charge to use features that were free (and worked better) on my previous GM products. And, of course, Google controls all the user interface on this truck making them useless. I asked the dealer how much they'd give me to buy the truck back and they really low-balled me. I'll probably see how much CarMax will give me for the truck.
But, if I could figure out how to bypass Google and be able to get my text messages or use voice commands to place calls or play media, I'd be happy with the truck. So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
BTW - I tried Android Auto and that really didn't do what I wanted it to do. I just want it to work like my old vehicles did.

Yes, you can delete it in the settings. You would then use Android Auto for text and voice commands (not an Android guy so not sure all that you'll gain).

Yes, you can delete it in the settings. You would then use Android Auto for text and voice commands (not an Android guy so not sure all that you'll gain).
Thanks for that info. It worked and it didn't.
I set up Android Auto (again). When a text came in, the truck notified me on the center screen but, when I tapped on the screen, it told me I had to use the assistant. So I had to tap on the home screen icon, then tap on the Android Auto icon, then tap on the prompt telling it to read the text to me. At that point, it works as I believe it should. But it seems like an awful lot to get to a text message. Plus, afterward, I had to tap on the music icon to get back to my preferred 'home screen' (i.e., the music). It seems to me it would be easier and no more distracting to just tap on my phone and read the message there.
P.S., CarMax low-balled me too. So, unless I want to take a bath, I'm stuck with it.

Thanks for that info. It worked and it didn't.
I set up Android Auto (again). When a text came in, the truck notified me on the center screen but, when I tapped on the screen, it told me I had to use the assistant. So I had to tap on the home screen icon, then tap on the Android Auto icon, then tap on the prompt telling it to read the text to me. At that point, it works as I believe it should. But it seems like an awful lot to get to a text message. Plus, afterward, I had to tap on the music icon to get back to my preferred 'home screen' (i.e., the music). It seems to me it would be easier and no more distracting to just tap on my phone and read the message there.
P.S., CarMax low-balled me too. So, unless I want to take a bath, I'm stuck with it.

You can press and hold the "talk" button on the steering wheel, or just say "Hey Google" if your phone is nearby to give Android Auto voice commands. Say commands such as "read messages", "drive to 1111 Somewhere Avenue 98740", "listen to Soundgarden on Amazon Music", "when do the Redskins play this weekend" and so forth. To answer a call just hit the steering wheel speak button. You have to keep Android Auto running and connected via Bluetooth through your phone in the background.

Last edited:
If you play your music through your phone while in the truck (by Bluetooth or Android Auto) you can use the phones built-in equalizer to make the stereo sound much, MUCH better!

If you play your music through your phone while in the truck (by Bluetooth or Android Auto) you can use the phones built-in equalizer to make the stereo sound much, MUCH better!
I generally use Sirius/XM on the truck's system, unless I'm on the road. Then I often listen to music I have ripped onto media (USB stick). I don't use my phone for music, I'm afraid. But thank you for that info.

You can press and hold the "talk" button on the steering wheel, or just say "Hey Google" if your phone is nearby to give Android Auto voice commands. Say commands such as "read messages", "drive to 1111 Somewhere Avenue 98740", "listen to Soundgarden on Amazon Music", "when do the Redskins play this weekend" and so forth. To answer a call just hit the steering wheel speak button. You have to keep Android Auto running and connected via Bluetooth through your phone in the background.
Thanks!

Yeah, I’ve had an iPhone for a while and use CarPlay, but the Android software still dwells beneath.

Most Member Reactions

Back