Intro - Warranty Question

agile87

Reaction score
Upgraded my 2003 Chev silverado to a 2022 ZR2 - needless to say absolutely loving this truck. Searched for a few months and found the one that had everything I was looking for! Bought it used, right around 35k miles, looking to get an extended warranty on it (it is a CPO so I get another 12m/12k once it hits 36k). Have reached out to Knapp and quote is for $2,900 for 48m/40k or $3,700 for 60m/50k. Given what I've seen on this thread, that seems ridiculously high. Knapp is saying it's out of the factory warranty since it has less than 1,000 miles to go to 36k - and they don't consider the CPO warranty even though its a full bumper-to-bumper extension. What are some tips or strategies you've used to get the cost reduced or recommend looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance, this truck has blown me away and still in shock when I see it in my driveway! I'd like to swap out the chrome ZR2 for the blacked out ones, but that'll be for another day.
CHEV ZR2 - PIC.jpg

Thats a damn good looking rig..I scored the the blacked out lettering from amazon..easy to find.

Upgraded my 2003 Chev silverado to a 2022 ZR2 - needless to say absolutely loving this truck. Searched for a few months and found the one that had everything I was looking for! Bought it used, right around 35k miles, looking to get an extended warranty on it (it is a CPO so I get another 12m/12k once it hits 36k). Have reached out to Knapp and quote is for $2,900 for 48m/40k or $3,700 for 60m/50k. Given what I've seen on this thread, that seems ridiculously high. Knapp is saying it's out of the factory warranty since it has less than 1,000 miles to go to 36k - and they don't consider the CPO warranty even though its a full bumper-to-bumper extension. What are some tips or strategies you've used to get the cost reduced or recommend looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance, this truck has blown me away and still in shock when I see it in my driveway! I'd like to swap out the chrome ZR2 for the blacked out ones, but that'll be for another day.View attachment 16740
I bought an 86 month -125,000 mile bumper to bumper w/$100 deductible for just over 3k from Portfolio. That price also included a 5 yr Cialjet aviation ceramic coat and a 3-year theft recovery system (like a LoJack system) But I bought mine brand new and paid cash for it.

Reactions: AXE
I bought an 86 month -125,000 mile bumper to bumper w/$100 deductible for just over 3k from Portfolio. That price also included a 5 yr Cialjet aviation ceramic coat and a 3-year theft recovery system (like a LoJack system) But I bought mine brand new and paid cash for it.
Just for future reference, never buy the ceramic coating crap (or anything for that matter from the Finance guy) they try to sell you at the dealer. They make it sound fantastic, but it's no where near the quality of having a professional detailer do it at a private shop. Plus, you already have a theft recovery system...ON-STAR ;)

Just for future reference, never buy the ceramic coating crap (or anything for that matter from the Finance guy) they try to sell you at the dealer. They make it sound fantastic, but it's no where near the quality of having a professional detailer do it at a private shop. Plus, you already have a theft recovery system...ON-STAR ;)
The Cialjet aviation ceramic was great ceramic coating and wasn't done at the dealership. It was a great shine...but I've had a hit and run and the truck was totally repainted except for hood roof and tailgate. It just had a complete 3 step paint correction, decontamination and three coats of 10-year graphine ceramic and 10 Yr PPF on both sides rockers. Looks aw beautiful now, as it did almost 2 yrs ago when I drove it home. I know that "paint protection" garbage they put on at the dealerships are a joke. The 3 yr LoJack monitoring was part of the package. Thieves diable the OnStar 1st thing before they even drive away in the truck. The only reason I still use On star is because I do a lot of trails with no signal for miles and don't have a Sat phone yet.

Reactions: AXE
What's the verdict?
As I'm over the 35k mileage, James Black couldn't offer the GM branded extended warranty, despite the CPO warranty one has to have both 1 month and 1k miles left on factory bumper-to-bumper. Looking in to a few options now, Knapp sells them, dealer I purchased from (out of state, live in NC - truck was in OH) uses Allstate, and discussing with local dealer this week when I go in for the software patch that was sent out recently. Will let you know. Given the mileage and year (35k, 2022), I've been quote anywhere from $2,500 to $3,000 for up to 70k or 85k miles - pre negotiating. Want to get this last quote from local dealer before I pit Knapp, selling dealer's Allstate, and local dealer's warranty against each other. Thanks for the info in your other posts, appreciate it!

As I'm over the 35k mileage, James Black couldn't offer the GM branded extended warranty, despite the CPO warranty one has to have both 1 month and 1k miles left on factory bumper-to-bumper. Looking in to a few options now, Knapp sells them, dealer I purchased from (out of state, live in NC - truck was in OH) uses Allstate, and discussing with local dealer this week when I go in for the software patch that was sent out recently. Will let you know. Given the mileage and year (35k, 2022), I've been quote anywhere from $2,500 to $3,000 for up to 70k or 85k miles - pre negotiating. Want to get this last quote from local dealer before I pit Knapp, selling dealer's Allstate, and local dealer's warranty against each other. Thanks for the info in your other posts, appreciate it!
If I were you...I would NEVER buy a third-party warranty. Your call and your money ;)

Most Member Reactions

Back