Gas or Diesel on my new 2025?

RjSchmitz

Reaction score
I bought a new 2024 1500 ZR2 in May, which i got to drive for a few days before discovering the axel was bent and hitting the frame. The replacement parts were on back order with no ETA, The dealership was saying it could be 6 months to a year. The dealership legally has no liability here so I have been dealing with General Motors and their lawyers. They finally agreed to refund my full purchase price in addition to a $10k credit towards a new ZR2.

I figured I might as well use the extra $10k to go with a 2500 Bison package. I am currently going back and forth between the gas or diesel engine, so I came here for some unbiased opinions!! haha

I live in the suburban Cincinnati area, my commute to work is about 80 miles round trip (all highway). I hail trailers occasionally, but nothing over about 5,000lbs. And never more than 50 miles or so. I work for my wife's family company and they pay for my gas ( so fuel prices are not a deciding factor). I am more familiar with gas engines and how they work, diesel is a foreign langue to me. I am leaning towards the dielel for the HP and Torque gains. Also for the engine and exhaust noise, the longevity and reliability. I plan on keeping this truck till the wheels fall off, Ive heard Duramax engines lasting up almost 500k miles.

So at the end of the day I'm wondering if its worth the extra $10k for a diesel engine even if i don't need it? Are the performance gains going to be worth it? Will I ever notice a difference when I'm not towing? Can I expect a diesel engie to last longer?

Attachments

• IMG_3423.JPG
    IMG_3423.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 63
I bought a new 2024 1500 ZR2 in May, which i got to drive for a few days before discovering the axel was bent and hitting the frame. The replacement parts were on back order with no ETA, The dealership was saying it could be 6 months to a year. The dealership legally has no liability here so I have been dealing with General Motors and their lawyers. They finally agreed to refund my full purchase price in addition to a $10k credit towards a new ZR2.

I figured I might as well use the extra $10k to go with a 2500 Bison package. I am currently going back and forth between the gas or diesel engine, so I came here for some unbiased opinions!! haha

I live in the suburban Cincinnati area, my commute to work is about 80 miles round trip (all highway). I hail trailers occasionally, but nothing over about 5,000lbs. And never more than 50 miles or so. I work for my wife's family company and they pay for my gas ( so fuel prices are not a deciding factor). I am more familiar with gas engines and how they work, diesel is a foreign langue to me. I am leaning towards the dielel for the HP and Torque gains. Also for the engine and exhaust noise, the longevity and reliability. I plan on keeping this truck till the wheels fall off, Ive heard Duramax engines lasting up almost 500k miles.

So at the end of the day I'm wondering if its worth the extra $10k for a diesel engine even if i don't need it? Are the performance gains going to be worth it? Will I ever notice a difference when I'm not towing? Can I expect a diesel engie to last longer?
that sux. use search here. lots of info on gas or diesel.

that sux. use search here. lots of info on gas or diesel.
Im asking for opinions on my specific situation. Ive done my research, but looking for help from people with more knowledge than me on the topic. You responding to me telling me to "use search" does not help me in any way, so get a life and don't comment just to hear your self talk.

Im asking for opinions on my specific situation. Ive done my research, but looking for help from people with more knowledge than me on the topic. You responding to me telling me to "use search" does not help me in any way, so get a life and don't comment just to hear your self talk.
hey numbnutz....your "specific" situation has been covered 100%. i was trying to point you in the right direction until members responded. 🖕

My opinion...since you are driving 80 miles round trip on a fairly consistent basis, I would get the diesel.

Either the gas or diesel have ups and downsides, specifically for your situation. I’ll try to give you some honest and unbiased thoughts.

The diesel should get better mileage on your commute but it typically costs more and you’ll burn DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) so this is likely a wash.

Diesel does have extra emissions equipment with sensors that can fail and other potential issues (DPF (diesel particle filter) which can clog and wreak havoc). Emissions equipment is federally mandated so warrantied through 100k, so you’re good there but that’s a LONG way to 500k miles if that’s your plan. The motor can certainly reach that kind of mileage, with normal maintenance, emissions equipment would present more risk over that timeframe.

The 6.6 gas isn’t as much of a “known quantity” as the L5P duramax. I’m sure others have more experience and insight on this iteration of HD gas motor, certainly out of my wheelhouse. It will have its “things” over the long term like all other motors in this world.

You don’t haul enough to justify an HD, let alone the diesel so this is a wash. You could get the gas and pocket $10k and use it to get a new toy or some kind. If you do go heavy, you will appreciate the additional torque.

Diesel will have a better resale value long term, regardless of the mileage when you go to sell or trade.

Either way, the gas or diesel will certainly meet your needs and should be a sweet ride. It just boils down to what you really want to try.

Last edited:
Either the gas or diesel have ups and downsides, specifically for your situation. I’ll try to give you some honest and unbiased thoughts.

The diesel should get better mileage on your commute but it typically costs more and you’ll burn DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) so this is likely a wash.

Diesel does have extra emissions equipment with sensors that can fail and other potential issues (DPF (diesel particle filter) which can clog and wreak havoc). Emissions equipment is federally mandated so warrantied through 100k, so you’re good there but that’s a LONG way to 500k miles if that’s your plan. The motor can certainly reach that kind of mileage, with normal maintenance, emissions equipment would present more risk over that timeframe.

The 6.6 gas isn’t as much of a “known quantity” as the L5P duramax. I’m sure others have more experience and insight on this iteration of HD gas motor, certainly out of my wheelhouse. It will have its “things” over the long term like all other motors in this world.

You don’t haul enough to justify an HD, let alone the diesel so this is a wash. You could get the gas and pocket $10k and use it to get a new toy or some kind. If you do go heavy, you will appreciate the additional torque.

Diesel will have a better resale value long term, regardless of the mileage when you go to sell or trade.

Either way, the gas or diesel will certainly meet your needs and should be a sweet ride. It just boils down to what you really want to try.
I really appreciate your input and knowledge! I’m not too concerned about the additional costs. But what you’re saying makes sense, I may just go with gas and put the $10k into other parts of the truck that I care about more. (ie tires, sound system, light bars, and what not. )

My opinion...since you are driving 80 miles round trip on a fairly consistent basis, I would get the diesel.
Yeah that is one main reason I’m considering diesel. Thanks for the input! I’ve read a lot of your posts and you seem to be pretty knowledgeable (and a straight shooter) so I’ll trust your opinion. Thanks again!

Haha.. do you have any regrets? I’m not too concerned about the price. But I don’t want something unnecessary that’s going to add headaches down the road.
No regrets at all. I don’t haul like I used to, will only pull about 5-6k randomly, so I went 1500 and the babymax 3.0l diesel. I get about 24-26mpg and for me in South Texas diesel is cheaper than the premium thats required for the gasser. Nothing is really close to where I live (example 15-20 miles nearest grocery), so I’m not too worried about short running a regen which is in my opinion the bigger issue if you own a diesel and drive short trips.

IF I were to admit to a regret… I should have gone HD because I’m told I have issues with over compensating lol

Most Member Reactions

Back