Fuel Smell in Oil

Byrds8

Reaction score
I changed the oil yesterday and it has approx 50 miles on the fresh oil. The oil that came out of it my wife said had an acidic smell to it. So after I changed it I let her smell the fresh oil (I have no sense of smell) Now she says it smells like gas is in it. I would assume this is not normal for this truck. It is under warranty so I can take it to the dealership. What am I looking at possibly being wrong here. Ive never heard of oil smelling like gas at all.

I changed the oil yesterday and it has approx 50 miles on the fresh oil. The oil that came out of it my wife said had an acidic smell to it. So after I changed it I let her smell the fresh oil (I have no sense of smell) Now she says it smells like gas is in it. I would assume this is not normal for this truck. It is under warranty so I can take it to the dealership. What am I looking at possibly being wrong here. Ive never heard of oil smelling like gas at all.
truck could be experiencing blow by were small amounts of fuel escapes thru rings into crankcase. this usually happens when vehicle is driven in short duration. lots of other factors have to be considered too. age, mileage and driving style.

Guess it depends on what is considered short distances. If driving 40min around town is considered short then I guess I was. However, her jeep has not been started in a week and she said it smells about the same amount as min as far as fuel odor off the stick. Maybe it’s normal. As for the truck, it’s a 2022 with 21k on the clock.

Pull a sample in a clean container. Send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I have a thread where people are posting their results.

There's fuel in a lot of used oil. It shouldn't be excessive. That's why I don't like long intervals. Didn't matter what oil you use, if it has fuel in it, it's not working the same.

Pull a sample in a clean container. Send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I have a thread where people are posting their results.

There's fuel in a lot of used oil. It shouldn't be excessive. That's why I don't like long intervals. Didn't matter what oil you use, if it has fuel in it, it's not working the same.
May have to. Although I read somewhere that blackstone doesn’t read fuel dilution reliably. Can’t recall where I saw that though.

I only use the DIC as a tool. Normally change around 25% so between 5 and 6k miles.

May have to. Although I read somewhere that blackstone doesn’t read fuel dilution reliably. Can’t recall where I saw that though.

I only use the DIC as a tool. Normally change around 25% so between 5 and 6k miles.
There's other Labs. I think Lake Speed has one now. He's also got a YouTube channel with good information.

Most Member Reactions

Back