4WD System

We had a flat tire w/ side wall cut on our very 1st off-road attempt with Chickens Corner and just before Hurrah Pass.

But, after that, and even without any spare tire, we did more advanced off road passes without any issues.

Neither of the tire stores, in Moab or nearby, had OEM Good Year tire. Dealers mentioned they have to order it and may take a few days.

So, good idea to think about an alternative tire of different brand and also carry side wall repair kit before any attempt. We weren't prepared with any of those options.
fricken cool.....real world photo.

@ZR2NYC It was crazy. I was there. The haters are gonna say I photo shopped my truck and me in the picture
1000031932.jpg

Added part 1 video for Imogene Pass: Ouray to Peak. It was a fun drive. On a full size truck, good idea to have a companion who can help monitor passenger side of the trail.

Will add next part of Peak to Telluride in next few days.

Added part 1 video for Imogene Pass: Ouray to Peak. It was a fun drive. On a full size truck, good idea to have a companion who can help monitor passenger side of the trail.

Will add next part of Peak to Telluride in next few days.

There are a lot of trails all over the San Juan mountains. You can also go from mountain town to another mountain town over some of these old trails. I think with a full size truck you can get over Cinnamon Pass and down to Animas Forks, ghost town, then into Silverton. There's some good old turn of the Century Saloons there as well. Ophir Pass is wide enough for a ZR2. Engineer Pass over to Lake City. The Lake City side is kind of tainted by land for sale and real estate offices, but pretty none the less. You can go for a good week down there for sure.

There are a lot of trails all over the San Juan mountains. You can also go from mountain town to another mountain town over some of these old trails. I think with a full size truck you can get over Cinnamon Pass and down to Animas Forks, ghost town, then into Silverton. There's some good old turn of the Century Saloons there as well. Ophir Pass is wide enough for a ZR2. Engineer Pass over to Lake City. The Lake City side is kind of tainted by land for sale and real estate offices, but pretty none the less. You can go for a good week down there for sure.
Cools thanks. So far I have been doing part Utah and part Colorado. Probably starting next year one area at a time. I lose about 4 days to and from Colorado and more on Utah :D

2022, I did complete Ophir Pass but it was on Subaru Outback Wilderness. I started Imogene, but then skipped, as I didn't want to damage new car or get stuck.

Last edited:
Here comes the Imogene Pass part 2 (Peak to Telluride). Video is in fast forward mode to keep most the content. This will help refresh the trail for future trip. Probably reverse journey from Telluride to Ouray.

I barely had to use Front Lockers. But, good to have them as they provide peace of mind.

As a beginner off-roader, I still can't believe that I completed this pass on a full size truck :)

Cools thanks. So far I have been doing part Utah and part Colorado. Probably starting next year one area at a time. I lose about 4 days to and from Colorado and more on Utah :D

2022, I did complete Ophir Pass but it was on Subaru Outback Wilderness. I started Imogene, but then skipped, as I didn't want to damage new car or get stuck.

My video of Ophir Pass on Subaru Outback Wilderness. But didn't want to risk on Imogene ... reason that now I have ZR2. :)

Redo of Ophir next on ZR2, but, this time from Telluride side.

On Alpine loop, I still need to finish Cinnamon Pass and Anima Forks,+, but, this time will start from Ouray rather than Silverton. Engineer Pass and Lake City complete. On our way back to Ouray from Lake City, because of construction, we had to take a detour passing through Curecanti, outside of Black Canyon National Park and Montrose.

An associated 4wd question, does the rear e-locker work in 2wd or only in 4wd? My ZR2 is only a few months old and have not really had the opportunity or need to really test it out.

An associated 4wd question, does the rear e-locker work in 2wd or only in 4wd? My ZR2 is only a few months old and have not really had the opportunity or need to really test it out.
Test is out and let us know 👍

I know the front e-locker only works in 4wd low but is that true for the rear as well?
I believe you have to be in 4LO to use either of the lockers. The front locker can only be used 4LO terrain mode, but the rear can be locked in 4LO regardless of drive mode.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back