4500 mile review…

RCF71

Reaction score
I have had this thing since early May and now have just over 4500 miles - traded in my ‘21 GMC 1500 AT4 6.2L with 39k miles. Just thought I’d post my thoughts, some “stats”, etc.

I’m loving it! The ride is really nice for a heavy duty diesel pickup, heck, for any pickup. It’s pretty quiet too, better than the AT4 I traded in. Overall, I think it’s also the best looking of all the heavy duty pickups.

Stereo is meh. I have a Kicker sub in the garage. I will get around to installing it when outside temps drop below 90F - hoping that’ll help enough with the bass to make it sound decent. It will still be hugely inferior to my wife’s Explorer ST with the 14(?) speaker B&O system.

I had read the mirrors would leave a big blindspot, but I haven’t noticed it yet myself. One of the many great things about HD trucks to me is the big mirrors. I even like the rearview camera mirror after getting used to it.

Pretty easy to change the oil & filter, doesn’t drain all over everything.

The torque management programming (I assume) that makes the throttle kinda dead feeling ‘til the rpm’s move up a bit is kinda odd feeling.

I love the seats, but I know that is pretty subjective. I really liked the seats in my AT4 too. I had an F150 for about 2yrs and hated the seats for anything over an hour drive. The “vented seats” work great! Also love that GM gives you the option of back heat only.

Love the tailgate! It’s my second one, and wouldn’t go without it now. Ford is stupid… copied Ram’s “swing-out” tailgate, but it’s even uglier… no thanks!

Heads up display is awesome. Adaptive cruise sucks (leaves way too much space, unusable where I live/drive - same as wife’s Explorer).

Not a fan of the exhaust exit point, wish it came out a bit more to the side at about the bumper/body junction.

Mine came with the upfitter switches… but I gotta install the wiring harness… WTF?!? Dumb!

Fuel mileage… eh. It has gotten steadily better since I bought it (from about 15 to about 16.5 average, not towing). DEF usage seems pretty good so far, about 1 gal every 1,000 miles so far.

Only “issues” so far are 1) the blinker doesn’t always reset on right hand turns (the sharper the turn, the less likely to reset), 2) I can hear something loose “clunking” behind the dash in the steering column area when I hit sharp bumps at low speed and 3) creaks/pops from the third brake light spoiler (think when it gets out in the hot sun, so maybe an expansion deal).

What about the 10 speed Allison and exhaust brake?
Transmission is very smooth, maybe too smooth for me. I like to feel a good, firm shift - maybe just too used to older tech, but that meant less clutch wear. Otherwise, seems to operate fine, nothing noticeable about it really - it just works! EDIT - also, I’m guessing the stock torque converter is not very efficient. Helps with smoother shifts, but loses energy to heat vs power/fuel economy when not locked. Probably helps explain the really low fuel economy in town even when I baby the throttle & brakes.

Exhaust brake - haven't towed anything heavy enough, or in any terrain more than rolling hills, to feel it was of much use yet.

Last edited:
Transmission is very smooth, maybe too smooth for me. I like to feel a good, firm shift - maybe just too used to older tech, but that meant less clutch wear. Otherwise, seems to operate fine, nothing noticeable about it really - it just works! EDIT - also, I’m guessing the stock torque converter is not very efficient. Helps with smoother shifts, but loses energy to heat vs power/fuel economy when not locked. Probably helps explain the really low fuel economy in town even when I baby the throttle & brakes.

Exhaust brake - haven't towed anything heavy enough, or in any terrain more than rolling hills, to feel it was of much use yet.
Yeah, I used to like those firm shifts on my 6 speed running 525 HP.

Exhaust brake works pretty well. I've pulled some trailers in 6% grades and curves. It comes in more slowly and consistently. I liked my last one but occasionally it would grab a little too much.

Also it handles curves and grades at higher speeds incredibly well.

I'd give it a 9.0, 9.5 if I can get my random trailer brake issues resolved. I don't think she'll crack 10 with the craptacular electronics. I haven't had any real issues, but enough random little things to make me wonder.

Most Member Reactions

Back