10L80 Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

AXE

Reaction score
I'm planning on changing my transmission fluid and filter at 15k miles. The recommended interval on the 10L80 transmission is 25k miles according to my service advisor. The filter is supposed to be every other time.

I'm doing mine early, as I consider the heat in Arizona and towing to be severe duty. Not to mention banging through the gears with the paddles.

I found this video to be a pretty good go by. It doesn't look terribly complicated, but does look to be tedious and unnecessarily messy. I can't believe they didn't put in a drain plug and dipstick.

I am debating about putting a drain plug in the pan. Also thought about putting in a PPE pan like this with a drain.

Was also thinking about modifying the exhaust tube by cutting it and welding in some joints or fittings to make it easier to drop the pan.

Tedious and unnecessary is right 😳 that’s a process for a basic fluid and filter change! And once that exhaust gets some age on it, it will be even more fun; better not put skip exchanges or never seize!

That’s a good reference video, I’ll be sure to save that one for when the time comes. Thanks for posting. Let us know how it goes.

I am debating about putting a drain plug in the pan. Also thought about putting in a PPE pan like this with a drain.

Was also thinking about modifying the exhaust tube by cutting it and welding in some joints or fittings to make it easier to drop the pan.
Snot bad of a price. I like it. Thanks for posting good sir

You’ve probably done it before too, but I just drill the hole before removing the pan to add the drain bolt, then let it drain thru that hole - less messy!
Yeah. If I'm gonna do it, I'd plan to tap the hole towards the rear of pan and let it drain the first time.

I know a guy down the road that's a welder. He's done some aluminum work for me before, so I'll let him weld in a bung.

Also considering putting in a Fumoto valve with a nipple into the fill port to assist with adding fluid. That way it's ready to attach a line and shut off the fluid with the lever. Might be overthinking it.

Last edited:
Tedious and unnecessary is right 😳 that’s a process for a basic fluid and filter change! And once that exhaust gets some age on it, it will be even more fun; better not put skip exchanges or never seize!

That’s a good reference video, I’ll be sure to save that one for when the time comes. Thanks for posting. Let us know how it goes.
Yeah if you live in the rust belt, dropping that exhaust will become a big project. Gonna be some knuckle busting and cussing involved for sure.

Yeah I thought of that. I'm going to rotate the tires today, I'll check it out and report my findings
On my 2500HD, that skid doesn't have much clearance to the pan. In fact I thought if you hammered it hard, it might just push right into the pan.

Last edited:
Also considering putting in a Fumoto valve with a nipple into the full port to assist with adding fluid. That way it's ready to attach a line and shut off the fluid with the lever. Might be overthinking it.
Oh, I like that idea! I always take forever getting plugs like that started when I rush (like trying to stop the fluid running out).

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back